Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • She said yes!
  • daftvader
    Free Member

evening…

mrs vader has said that after my wrist op and recovery i will be allowed to buy a new bike so long as I(not we)have the money for it.
    looking at several bikes atm….

lapierre x flow
    scott spark
    cannondale rz120 (if i can find one)
    camber
    sc superlight

i have tested the rz120, will be getting a test of the rest as soon as i have the ok to ride by the doctors

so STW….. opinions, suggestions and alternatives please

cheers

patriotpro
    Free Member

Mrs Vader is you’re mum and you’re 10 years old right?

daftvader
    Free Member

nope. she is however the financial director in our relationship!!!

dannybgoode

Oh I know the feeling Mr V. Mrs Danny only let me buy my mountain bike on the condition I raised the funds by selling other bikes and associated bits and bobs.

Congrats on the forthcoming purchase.

Cheers

Danny B

daftvader
    Free Member

Ha! Had to sell a load of stuff to fund my road bike last year!

PiknMix
    Free Member

I’m so glad I’m not in a relationship like that! Enjoy your new bike (if she lets you ride it)

daftvader
    Free Member

Tbf its not as bad as it sounds. .. I am only too aware of my failings when it comes to money management and the lack of ability to say no to shiny new toys!
    And I dont have to ask permission for anything else……

Anyway. .. any other opinions on the bikes listed?

dannybgoode

Mmmm, Shiny…

dannybgoode

Oh and buy a Cotic Rocket…

Cheers

Danny B

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m hearing you DV. The reason I don’t have a shared bank account with Mme G is not to stop her spending my money, it’s to stop me spending hers.

rOcKeTdOg

superlight 29er 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

As for bikes, I have a prejudice against boingers where the shock joins the frame at the BB, so first bin those.

It’s as good a way to decide as any other.

What’s left?

daftvader
    Free Member

Danny b…I would love a rocket but being an injury carrying mincer I couldn’t do it justice…. plus I live in Hampshire which also wouldn’t do it justice! !!!

daftvader
    Free Member

Mattjg I have no prejudice against any style or make (except for trek cos they just dont fit me) so am open to any bike suggestions. .. rocketdog… its added to the list. Cheers

althepal

Anyone else thinking he was getting married at some point?
    Ignore those dissing you for having to get permission mate, I’m in a similar position. Had to sell a coupla bikes to raise funds for a new one last time.
    We don’t have enough free cash lying about for me to spunk a few grand on a new bike so it was very much a case of raising the funds to do it myself. Don’t feel particularly subjugated, that’s just the way things are.

mattjg
    Free Member

XC bike? Whyte M109S?

What’s your budget and what do you want the bike to do?

mattjg
    Free Member

Ignore those dissing you for having to get permission mate, I’m in a similar position.

We’re just teasing, he invited it with the title.

Yes I was expecting a ‘popped the question’ thread.

Dylan08
    Free Member

Spark is well worth a look, Scott support backup in the future is pretty solid just in case.. 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

I asked her to marry me 5 years ago, started saving for wedding and then along came minivader!!!! (He’s an even bigger sink hole of cash than me!!! )
    Back to the bike…
    Budget will be about 2k… use is general trail riding round Hampshire and Surrey(swinley, peaslake) occasionally trail centers in wales and fairly regularly to Derbyshire as I have family there. I do like the downs and would like to start enjoying the ups a little more so light weight 120mm to max 140mm mm bike hence the ones in the list…

garage-dweller

A couple of my (ir)regular group have turned up with fs 29rs (scott and giant). For round here (same place as you) they seem to.work really well.

With your budget I would go for 100-120mm forked hardtail possibly 29r as I really want to give the big wheels a go and I really like hardtails over fs.

Edit: sorry that is probably stuff all use to you!

islander

Giant Anthem? 100mm which have found plenty for wide range of terrain. Got a 29er and had a 26er and well pleased with them overall.

Bullet

Can I suggest a Ghost AMR? I have an AMR Lector, 120mm fs, all carbon and rides like a dream. A tad above you budget but may turn up a 2012 model like mine somewhere (Sunset Cycles were very helpful with mine)

notlocal
    Free Member

Cycle Highlands in Ballater have an RZ120. Not sure of the size, but might be worth giving them a ring, you might get it cheap.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Mrs Vader is you’re mum and you’re 10 years old right?

That comment makes you about 5 years old.

Yeah, maybe both partners like uhhhhh rely on each other financially to make ends meet.

Not everyone earns 50k+ a year so that both partners are in a position to be relatively financially independent of each other.

Maybe some people have enough respect for their partners to consult them about large financial outlays….just because….uhhh mariage is a uhhhhhh partnership where mutual respect for each other goes a long way?

shifter
    Free Member

You alright?! 🙂

OP – try Paulscycles for an RZ.

bwaarp
    Free Member

No, human stupidity is tearing a hole in the fabric of my being.

shifter
    Free Member

There’s too much of it to worry about.

Stupidity that is, not the fabric of your being.

dannybgoode

@Darth – oo no – don’t get a Rocket if you live in Hampshire. Good old fashioned Yorkshire bike that – wouldn’t like being that far South 😉

Cheers

Danny B

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Paul’s Cycles had a couple of very cheap RZ120s. Just got one myself recently.
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b65s1p0&tbv=CANNONDALE_Mountain_Bikes_Full_Suspension

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Maybe some people have enough respect for their partners to consult them about large financial outlays….just because….uhhh mariage is a uhhhhhh partnership where mutual respect for each other goes a long way?

This ^

I’m sick of this pompous nature that if someone has to talk to their partner before a large purchase somehow makes them weak!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Wouldn’t get the lapierre if I’m honest, my mates lasted 6 ride before the penbox thingy collapsed.

The anthem is good, as is a 100-120mm HT.

Personally I’d try a 29’er before you settle on anything, you might like one, you might not, but for stuff that isn’t rock strewned Yaaaarkshire, they’re great

crush83
    Free Member

What about a fatbike for 2k? surly moonlander?

or maybe a norco Sight 3SE as a 140mm FS trail bike.

patriotpro
    Free Member

That comment makes you about 5 years old.

Yeah, maybe both partners like uhhhhh rely on each other financially to make ends meet.

Not everyone earns 50k+ a year so that both partners are in a position to be relatively financially independent of each other.

Bwaarp – I’ve got visions of you with an uncoiled neck and frothing at the mouth – just wind it in a bit chicken. x

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’m sick of this pompous nature that if someone has to talk to their partner before a large purchase somehow makes them weak!

BREEEEEEATH and get over it. 😆

mrhoppy

Transition Bandit in either 26 or 29 flavour. Good playful, shorter travel all rounder.

ads678

Orange Five, Obviously! 😉

Superlight for me out of your list OP, just i think they look the coolerist.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Patriotpro you need to breathe and step down off your financially sound high horse 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

xcgb
    Free Member

Just a thought – when she said yes, did she say “Yes thats fine, you go ahead and spend all our money on a new Bike”

Just saying like! 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

right….. its ok that i ask about big financial stuff. she does the same. some people do and some don’t, so its all good. end of…

now back to the important stuff…bikes…
    i already have a ht (sc chameleon) but whilst fun it is beating me up a bit on longer rides.
    Are lapierre that bad for breaking?
    Have looked at pauls cycles for the rz120…. like that price!
    the transition bandit i really like the look of but it seems a little weighty in my price bracket plus i’m not sure where the nearest stockist is… how do they ride?
    i really dont like the designs of the giants
    no fat bikes… charlie the bike monger tried to convert me to them when i went to his shop but i managed to resist!
    the sc superlight is definately near the top of the list as are scott scales

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘She said yes!’ is closed to new replies.