• This topic has 350 replies, 101 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 31 posts - 321 through 351 (of 351 total)
  • she does it right
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

If the media image didn’t exist in newspapers, magazines and the TV, we’d still have it on the internet via Facebook and Twitter, in pubs, at schools and at work. People would still try to attain things/ideals that were the ‘cool’ thing amongst their peers…… objectification and bullying would carry on. Before we had the tv, magazines and newspapers women tried to paint themselves as white as possible so they didn’t seem like the wives of labourers and they wore corsets. I’m not arguing they don’t feel the need to attain media versions of beauty, I’m saying they don’t have to feel the need to. Unfortunately that would take money and effort on societies part in terms of inward reflection.

counselling and lessons on something designed to alleviate psychological problems.

It’s not to alleviate a psychological problem caused by the media, it’s to address a fundamental problem in the western mass psyche.

But keep thinking that objectification and peer pressure wouldn’t exist, it’s really really cute and entertaining to me. I conversely think your idea that it’s “teh mediazz faultzz” a cop out, like fat people blaming McDonalds for weighing as much as a **** Gorilla.

Lifer
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member
    I’m not arguing they don’t feel the need to attain media versions of beauty, I’m saying they don’t have to feel the need to.

Of course they don’t, but the vast majority do.

But keep thinking that objectification and peer pressure wouldn’t exist, it’s really really cute and entertaining to me. I conversely think your idea that it’s “teh mediazz faultzz” a cop out, like fat people blaming McDonalds for weighing as much as a **** Gorilla.

Icksney on the condescenay there, chet. And I’ll thank you to not put words in my mouth.

cookeaa

Hooray its made 10 pages!

I thought I’d saunter back in…

If the media image didn’t exist in newspapers, magazines and the TV, we’d still have it on the internet, in pubs, at schools and at work. People would still try to attain things/ideals that were the ‘cool’ thing amongst their peers and objectification and bullying would carry on. Before we had the tv, magazines and newspapers women tried to paint themselves as white as possible so they didn’t seem like the wives of labourers and they wore corsets. I’m not arguing they don’t feel the need to attain media versions of beauty, I’m saying they don’t have to feel the need to. Unfortunately that would take money and effort on societies part in terms of inward reflection.

But keep thinking that objectification and peer pressure wouldn’t exist, it’s really really cute and entertaining to me.

Just because people call something “Media” (rather than childish **** fodder) doesn’t automatically legitimise the ideas or imagery it presents, The tide is slowly turning on various forms of media which contribute to the various insecurities and inhibitions which seem to riddle people these days, why? because while you might shift a posh frock or some perfume with images of unattainably thin, or surgically “Enhanced” women, it seems to lead to lots of insecurities that manifest as eating disorders or self harming behaviour in teenagers and young women. if you can’t joint the dots from that to this then I’d get back to flicking through Nuts…

To think that just because something already exists, that you can easily can lay your hands on published images of it, that it must be “Right” or at least isn’t worth challenging seems a shade too apathetic IMO.
    I suppose going to the extent of belittling other peoples objections to something not because they are wrong but because they simply can’t eradicate makes it “aggressive apathy”… I do like and oxymoron, the very best kind of Moron IMO…

Taking it back to the original posted link, I simply don’t think it’s right that Women and/or women’s mountain biking is presented in the way that video does, especially just to shift some crappy T-shirts.

If you can come up with a compelling reason why a montage of mammaries with some bicycle riding in the background is of real benefit to society then I’ll happily hear the merits of your argument, but all I generally seem to be reading on this thread is rather basic point that boil down to “People are Animals” or “Me likes the Boobies” type arguments…

There would probably be a bit of an outcry if the likes of Adidas or Nike tried to present a more mainstream womens sport like Football, Athletics or Tennis in this sort of manner, they’d be roundly condemned for trivialising women and their involvement in sport and treating them as nothing more than sexual objects, so why is it OK for a capable female mountain biker to be reduced to a pair of breasts on a bike? with or without her consent, doesn’t help the image of the sport, and I doubt many male MTBers will be rushing to buy a T-shirt that doesn’t quite accommodate a more petite female, let alone a standard weekend warrior, heffalump..

Most Commercial organisations looking to promote female participation in a sport (and obviously use of their products) tend to focus on the positive qualities of those women, their physical and mental toughness, their determination to succeed, their exceptional skill and abilities they seldom resort to overt sexualisation anymore because they recognise that:

A) It’s no longer considered an acceptable norm…
    B) It would only serve to alienate any potential female customers…
    C) If blokes want to stare at lady parts, there’s already a “Media” segment catering for that… So as advertising it wouldn’t actually help their sales, but might help razzle…

Out of interest How many people have actually purchased a “Gravity Mafia” product as a result of viewing the piece of promotional media in question?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lazybike
    Free Member

Nice riding…

lucien

Out of interest How many people have actually purchased a “Gravity Mafia” product as a result of viewing the piece of promotional media in question?

I did, two of them, bouncing around in the packaging they were like cats in a sack.

cookeaa

Then I take it all back, it was worth every penny they spent making that thoughtful and insightful cycling documentary…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

ust because people call something “Media” (rather than childish **** fodder) doesn’t automatically legitimise the ideas or imagery it presents, The tide is slowly turning on various forms of media which contribute to the various insecurities and inhibitions which seem to riddle people these days, why? because while you might shift a posh frock or some perfume with images of unattainably thin, or surgically “Enhanced” women, it seems to lead to lots of insecurities that manifest as eating disorders or self harming behaviour in teenagers and young women. if you can’t joint the dots from that to this then I’d get back to flicking through Nuts…

To think that just because something already exists, that you can easily can lay your hands on published images of it, that it must be “Right” or at least isn’t worth challenging seems a shade too apathetic IMO.
    I suppose going to the extent of belittling other peoples objections to something not because they are wrong but because they simply can’t eradicate makes it “aggressive apathy”… I do like and oxymoron, the very best kind of Moron IMO…

Taking it back to the original posted link, I simply don’t think it’s right that Women and/or women’s mountain biking is presented in the way that video does, especially just to shift some crappy T-shirts.

If you can come up with a compelling reason why a montage of mammaries with some bicycle riding in the background is of real benefit to society then I’ll happily hear the merits of your argument, but all I generally seem to be reading on this thread is rather basic point that boil down to “People are Animals” or “Me likes the Boobies” type arguments…

I suppose going to the extent of belittling other peoples objections to something not because they are wrong

It’s because they are wrong and you are wrong in thinking that proselytizing and forcing your own version of morality on others thus impinging their own liberty is acceptable instead of dealing with the underlying psychological causes that lead to us treating each other the way we do. You sound rather like someone from the Temperance movement of the 1920’s, it’s not the social problems of individuals that caused alcoholism….it was definitely the alcohol itself.

You said a lot of absolutely nothing. The images might not be legitimized in your idea of morality but why should the woman not post a video like that if she wanted to. Who are you to tell her what she can and cannot do with her body? You have missed every single point that I have made, they have utterly whooshed over your head.

If you can come up with a compelling reason why a montage of mammaries with some bicycle riding in the background is of real benefit to society then I’ll happily hear the merits of your argument

What exactly would you do about it? It’s there on the internet forever, you can choose to be offended by it or not.

tazzymtb

Does everything have to be of benefit to society? Whose society? our western liberal one or are other societies allowed to play as well? Can we apply other socities standards and be offended on their behalf? Perhaps we can stone her to death or something and post that on the net as there are socities that would find that acceptable within their moral and legal framework?

Basically you are wronger than kissing a tramps armpit and you know it. You are now just arguing because you enjoy it.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

doesn’t help the image of the sport

Because people are such brain dead morons that after watching that video they’re now going to equate mtbing with fat, middle aged Orange riding mouth breathing Audi driving misogynist IT workers. Oh wait, never mind.

Anyway, I believe Nike sponsors female atheletes who like to show a lot of leg during the Tennis. **** me, quick for the love of god make them wear long skirts and Burqa’s instead of asking them what they’d like to wear.

Lifer
    Free Member

Do you surf?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Why? Is your point going to be that surfings image has suffered negatively due to the fact that there are lots of normal weight girls surfing and flaunting it if they’ve got it as opposed to beer bellied Audi drivers dressed up like storm troopers?

Lifer
    Free Member

No.

But here’s some fish to go with the weird chip you seem to have

lazybike
    Free Member

The video made me smile, the 10 pages that followed…not so much.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Nahh I don’t have a chip on my shoulder otherwise I’d hate a lot more people than you guys do.

I’m just a facetious arse and you guys are sore losers :mrgreen:

Night. I’m off on out to objectify some women in a club.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What do you suggest then?

grasp what people are saying or ask them questions? Is that a serious question?

No, to thine own self be true and all of that.

We are rather lucky you chose english as your medium of conversation from all the available languages arent we whilst being free from cultural influences

If we shoot the symptoms (the media) and not the cause (ourselves)

so the media has an ideal image of women and it is our image which is screwed up – I think you got that the wrong way round

it’s to address a fundamental problem in the western mass psyche.

Are you arguing that culture impacts on us now

I conversely think your idea that it’s “teh mediazz faultzz” a cop out, like fat people blaming McDonalds for weighing as much as a **** Gorilla.

Clearly the free availability of unhealthy foods makes it less easy to eat healthily but alone it wont cause it – you dont seem able to grasp that things can exacerbate an issue or make it better

it’s not the social problems of individuals that caused alcoholism….it was definitely the alcohol itself.

yet we continue to see these issues being disproportionate felt by certain socio economic groups so again you cannot fully isolate them as they are interlinked. I am not sure why you cannot see this tbh

You have missed every single point that I have made, they have utterly whooshed over your head.

LolZ at the irony

mikey3
    Free Member

Has this thread really developed from a film of a woman riding a bike with bouncing breasts?? oh and great quote function use guys,the nation salutes you.

cinnamon_girl

Night. I’m off on out to objectify some women in a club.

You’ll be going home alone for sure with that kind of attitude. 😐

Junkyard
    Free Member

oh and great quote function use guys,the nation salutes you.

your welcome see what i did there 8)

I thought your contribution was ace …no really it was

osteo1
    Free Member

It was fun, the end!

vickypea
    Free Member

Tom- a trivial point but I am not a “beer bellied Audi driver who dresses up like a storm trooper” for an MTB ride! For all you know, I might “have it”, but choose not to flaunt it!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

yet we continue to see these issues being disproportionate felt by certain socio economic groups so again you cannot fully isolate them as they are interlinked. I am not sure why you cannot see this tbh

*sigh* again….whoosh

so the media has an ideal image of women and it is our image which is screwed up – I think you got that the wrong way round

No, we get the media we enjoy seeing. As soon as we collectively rise above it, it will disappear. It’s as simple as that, they don’t brain wash us….although they may reinforce certain traits….the images just light up a part of our brain. As such the media is a reflection of our own human nature staring back at us.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6355-babies-prefer-to-gaze-upon-beautiful-faces.html#.UnFO8kVFDqA

Junkyard
    Free Member

its useful when you work things out in your head but dont show your reasons

thanks for the clarification

you have not got the job 😉
    the media is a bit of both it follows and also sets the agenda

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

So then, would you say dealing with the root of the problem (people) would encourage the media to be less image driven as stories about kim kardashians newest arse implant would sell less papers? Thus killing two birds with one stone (or reducing considerably), without impinging the freedom of people to do whatever the hell they like in their own time or posing nude for the pleasure of people that can handle it without becoming sexist rapists?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

6079smithw
    Free Member

It looked like they were 26″ wheels in that video.
    No wonder all the controversy!

cookeaa

Thanks for labeling me as an illiberal fan of censorship, just because I dislike certain bits of media and dare to question the creators motivation and ability to consider the wider consequences.

They have as much right to make this sort of media as I do the right to condemn them for the ill considered messages their work sends, you’d have to agree that surely. Freedom of speech cuts both ways…

We get the media we want eh? Not Entirely sure that’s true… Reality TV, endless bloody tallent shows. We get media that appeals to the broadest audience tastes and shifts advertising for the most part. Just because something is popular with a large enough group doesn’t make it right, or above criticism.

Hacking dead girls phones, that’s where the media “giving us what they think we want” leads, beating senseless and setting disabled people alight in the street is the end result of “following where the group leads” extreme examples, but if the media is a mirror to society, then what is wrong with wanting to improve on what we find ourselves looking at.

“Whoosh” you say? I don’t reckon your points are really that far beyond our grasp, I just don’t agree with them. Media influences people, its not the only influence but to deny that it is a strong one is just plain wrong.

kimbers

now this is doing it right

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2VfkyGx1ok[/video]

wilko1999
    Free Member

Look at the knees on that

Northwind

So as I understand it, it’d be totally fine if that video was all about Manon Carpenter’s boobs, because you see her face. AmIright?

JoeG
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

I clocked the bike as an ancillotti

So she’s got nice tits and a niche bike! 😀

Viewing 31 posts - 321 through 351 (of 351 total)

The topic ‘she does it right’ is closed to new replies.