Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Shaving your legs – the definitive answer
  • philjunior
    Free Member

If the numbers were correct I could be tempted to shave my legs… Not totally sure I believe them though. Sheldon reckons 5 seconds over 40km – or to put it another way, the same as an aero chainset…

garage-dweller

I am tempted to tidy mine up again, mainly for comfort / cleanliness / vanity. Used to years ago and feel out of habit before meeting Mrs gd (not sure if she’d be a fan though). As for aerodynamics – balls – I am to slow.

aracer
    Free Member

I thought it didn’t vary that much, because whilst the faster guys are out there for less time, they gain more speed differential.

In any case this is just a wind tunnel test, so it doesn’t actually matter how fast the guy is – they’ll simply be using some nominal power figure to work out how “fast” he is before and after (and as stated there were multiple test subjects all giving similar results).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Check that Cervelo page aravcer, slower riders are out there longer so they save more time.

It works for me, the slower I am, the more benefit I get from fancy stuff I buy (or clingfilm on my helmet)

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah I know that al, and mentioned it in my reply, but I believe faster guys gain a larger percentage from aero improvements, so the absolute difference doesn’t vary that much.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You are half right and maybe completely, depending on your meaning of “vary much”:

The faster rider saves 1:26, while the slower rider saves 1:47.

A 24% difference, 30kph vs 40kph base speeds (times based on 20km)

aracer
    Free Member

Given the slower rider spends 33% longer on the road, I think that kind of proves my point 😉

BTW what is the cervelo page – you seem to be the only one on this thread to mention it?

mudshark
    Free Member

As speed decreases there aero becomes less relevant so there must be a speed at which point aero is pointless I think.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Shaving your legs – the definitive answer’ is closed to new replies.