Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Shaving your legs – the definitive answer
  • philjunior
    Free Member

If the numbers were correct I could be tempted to shave my legs… Not totally sure I believe them though. Sheldon reckons 5 seconds over 40km – or to put it another way, the same as an aero chainset…

garage-dweller

I am tempted to tidy mine up again, mainly for comfort / cleanliness / vanity. Used to years ago and feel out of habit before meeting Mrs gd (not sure if she’d be a fan though). As for aerodynamics – balls – I am to slow.

aracer
    Free Member

I thought it didn’t vary that much, because whilst the faster guys are out there for less time, they gain more speed differential.

In any case this is just a wind tunnel test, so it doesn’t actually matter how fast the guy is – they’ll simply be using some nominal power figure to work out how “fast” he is before and after (and as stated there were multiple test subjects all giving similar results).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Check that Cervelo page aravcer, slower riders are out there longer so they save more time.

It works for me, the slower I am, the more benefit I get from fancy stuff I buy (or clingfilm on my helmet)

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah I know that al, and mentioned it in my reply, but I believe faster guys gain a larger percentage from aero improvements, so the absolute difference doesn’t vary that much.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You are half right and maybe completely, depending on your meaning of “vary much”:

The faster rider saves 1:26, while the slower rider saves 1:47.

A 24% difference, 30kph vs 40kph base speeds (times based on 20km)

aracer
    Free Member

Given the slower rider spends 33% longer on the road, I think that kind of proves my point 😉

BTW what is the cervelo page – you seem to be the only one on this thread to mention it?

mudshark
    Free Member

As speed decreases there aero becomes less relevant so there must be a speed at which point aero is pointless I think.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Shaving your legs – the definitive answer’ is closed to new replies.