Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Shaving your legs – the definitive answer
  • aracer
    Free Member

It appears that the real reason for shaving your legs is that it’s actually faster. Quite a bit faster.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZnrE17Jg3I&sns=tw[/video]

Have to admit I’m quite surprised by that, but it doesn’t obviously appear to be faked.

richpips
    Free Member

“rustling on my pedal strokes”

🙄

discoduck
    Free Member

I’ve got to admit that I’ve never actually understood why grown men shave their legs and then claim it makes them faster ?

I mean why bother shaving your legs and then have facial hair as some have been seen wearing on this years tour ?
    And then when you fall off they apply that elasticated gauze ? That’s not very aero dynamic ?

I’ve also seen several wearing Gold necklaces and pendants, and wrist bangles and other clutter ? seems a bit strange being a weight weenie then throwing caution to the wind by sporting a bit of Bling ?

My mate used to shave his legs for MTBing ! This was some time ago before full sussers were even invented and farmer johns tyres with the elastic band coloured sidewalls were the only ones available ?

He claimed it was for when he fell off ? The hair didn’t get caught up in the scabs ?
    Again lame ! Having hair matted up in scabs is one of the only rewards for falling off !!!!!

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve never met a cyclist who claimed it made them faster. Most talk about scabs, massage and plain old vanity

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Massage for Pro’s, vanity for most none pro’s.

avdave2

My mate used to shave his legs for MTBing !

I did exactly the same earlier this year – my off road commute with our current climate means getting my legs splattered with mud all the time and they clean up a lot more easily with shaved legs.
    A word of warning though it can get quite additive and hard to know where to stop. 🙂

zero-cool
    Free Member

Less body hair = less time drying after a shower at 4:45am before work. Cuts minutes off my time. Plus I like how it feels and makes my calves look much better 😉

cyrilswan
    Free Member

Statement of INTENT.

‘I am taking this seriously!’

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got to admit that I’ve never actually understood why grown men shave their legs and then claim it makes them faster ?

They don’t, it’s a common misconception. But now they can claim that.

It’s true shaved legs don’t attract mud as much, and it looks better, and as Cyril says – statement of intent. Feels great too.

jota180
    Free Member

Less body hair = less time drying after a shower at 4:45am before work. Cuts minutes off my time.

Minutes 😆

A couple of seconds at best or buy a proper towel, I can dry my own – ape like – body in about a minute.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

the only genuine-sounding reason I’ve heard was Rob Hayles on Bespoke, who said pros do it because if a soigneur had to massage half a dozen pairs of hairy legs a night their hands would be ripped to pieces.

I can see only belonging to a clique and vanity (showing off ripped calves) as the reasons amateurs do it, and the plethora of reasons given (cleaning gravel rash, comfort for receiving a massage, aero etc) supports this.

Most talk about… plain old vanity

See, Ive never had it admitted, and I’d completely respect anyone who did.

I did exactly the same earlier this year – my off road commute with our current climate means getting my legs splattered with mud all the time and they clean up a lot more easily with shaved legs

how long does it take to clean muddy hairy legs, and how long does it take to shave them?!

unless this was avdave, earlier

johnners
    Free Member

Hairy is faster, the boundary layer turbulence reduces drag.*

People just shave their legs because they like it, which seems fair enough to me.

*This may possibly be nonsense, I have very limited knowledge of the field.

Northwind

I used to shave mine but I needed that extra edge for my strava segments so I got a ball peen hammer, and mashed thousands of little dents into my legs, like a golf ball. Now I’m 0.004% more aero.

chakaping
    Free Member

Must be a nightmare for nettles and the like though.

njee20
    Free Member

how long does it take to clean muddy hairy legs, and how long does it take to shave them?!

It’s more whilst riding – less mud sticks to your legs in the first place, which can be a bit uncomfortable on a long ride/race.

Basically it’s about vanity though, and I’d always freely admit that! Not that I’ve shaved mine in years, ms njee20 objects furiously!

Northwind

How can it be about vanity? It’s about as good a look as pokemon pyjamas.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Looks good as long as you’re not a “blueskin”

RealMan
    Free Member

It’s more of a sex thing really

Yak

vanity? – probably depends on your starting point of hairiness

kudos
    Free Member

A word of warning though it can get quite additive and hard to know where to stop.

You stop when you get to the eyebrows. Or when you find yourself knee-deep in pubes looking like one of these:

The aero news from Specialized is good news for us shavers, but for me, it’s about gravel rash healing, looking good, and easy clean-up after wet or muddy rides.

A quick wipe of baby oil before a mountain bike ride and crap just wipes off. Means you can look clean in the pub afterwards!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve done mine for vanity.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Did mine a few days ago, the wife said ‘what the hell have you done? I’m going downstairs to look at hairy men on the tv”

D0NK

How can it be about vanity? It’s about as good a look as pokemon pyjamas.

I think it’s more along the lines of a statement of “I R cyclist!” than looking good, but I guess you could still, loosely, class that as vanity.

None pros do it purely because it’s what cyclists do.
    Been tempted several times down the years but never got around to it. TBH keeping my face fuzz free is proving too much of a feat lately so doubt I could manage a much larger area. Besides facial stubble is acceptable, stubbly legs is probably a very bad look.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I do it because I like the look and feels a lot cooler in hotter weather. If I gave up cycling I would probably still shave them. I grew the hair back for the first time in 3 years last winter and Mrs MM kept nagging at me to shave them as she didn’t like them hairy. 😀

theotherjonv

I don’t shave as such, but I really dislike being covered in claggy wattle and daub as my long leg hairs mix with the mud to form the body equivalent of a mud hut.

So i run a clipper on grade one or two over them. Enough to not be labelled a shaver, but short enough that the hairs don’t curl around and trap the mud.

And it still makes them look pretty enough.

aracer
    Free Member

er, you could always check your theory by watching the video in the OP!

Did anybody actually bother to watch the video in the OP?

I mean why bother shaving your legs and then have facial hair as some have been seen wearing on this years tour ?

Because the same guys tested beards and found it made a miniscule difference.

Rubber_Buccaneer

OK, You’ve got me interested in shaving my legs. Those hairs poking through my tights don’t look good on a night out. What I need to know is where to I stop shaving? Above the knee? At my waist? Do I go all the way up to my neck?

fasthaggis

Rubber Buccaneer tonight

Rubber_Buccaneer

It’s a bugger getting shoes in my size too!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Did anybody actually bother to watch the video in the OP?

It would appear not but I did

Still not sure if it was true or an April fools prank

slowjo
    Free Member

Still not sure if it was true or an April fools prank

It was posted in July so unless there is a massive time gap or Americans work on a different April Fool basis to us then probably not. Probably.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hairy is faster, the boundary layer turbulence reduces drag.*

*This may possibly be nonsense, I have very limited knowledge of the field.

It’s nonsense, in pretty much any situation smooth/polished is better for reducing friction. Drag is proprtional to the drag coefficient (Cd) and area (A). If you imagine that the boundary layer reduces friction (part of Cd) then it also increaces the area of the object, which negates any benifit.

Noteable exceptions:
    Golf balls, they spin so the dinples help shed vortices, without them they’d drag a huge wake behind them.
    Chimney and tall towers, the spiral on the outside does the same job as the golfball without having to spin. Without it they’d shed vortices randomly and vibrate, the spiral means that from any direction the vortices always shed off different sides at varying heights, if it was just vertical strips all the vortices would shed off the same side and the tower would be pulled over.

avdave2

What I need to know is where to I stop shaving?

It’s addictive – all the way to your neck

Northwind

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member

What I need to know is where to I stop shaving?

At the skin usually

johnners
    Free Member

er, you could always check your theory by watching the video in the OP!

If you think I’m willing to spend my time watching videos on the internet that I have reason to believe won’t support my worldview then you’ve another think coming.

It’s nonsense, in pretty much any situation smooth/polished is better for reducing friction.

And you can sod off with your so-called knowledge too. Plus your spelling’s atrocious.

aracer
    Free Member

I had the same feeling when I saw it – just seems like far too large an effect! However no obvious fakery, and the folks in the video also expressed their surprise.

It’s not quite that simple though. Flow separation results in an increase in drag when the fluid flowing around a body can no longer follow it. It has been shown that turbulent flow stays attached for longer than laminar flow, hence roughness to generate turbulent flow can help the flow stay attached for longer and decrease drag.

It’s unlikely that hairy legs would help at all with this (and the video if it’s genuine provides real world evidence that it doesn’t), but it is a recognised effect, well beyond golf balls and cooling towers.

MoreCashThanDash

Rubber buccaneer – you need to see the film “Kinky Boots” based on a true story apparently

IdleJon

chakaping – Member

Must be a nightmare for nettles and the like though.

Why? Because the nettle’s arms aren’t long enough to reach their shins? 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    Junkyard » Still not sure if it was true or an April fools prank
    I had the same feeling when I saw it – just seems like far too large an effect

The tested guy didn’t look that fast, and as we all jnow now, aero advantages make up bigger time differences at lower speeds.

Is there a link to the results?

kudos
    Free Member

My shaven havens seem to make me very popular with horse flies… 😡

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Shaving your legs – the definitive answer’ is closed to new replies.