Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shaving (new-fangled electrical content)
  • spooky_b329

So I saw the light with a traditional DE razor, less acne and irritation than the triple blade type razors. But still not great, and a while ago I impulse bought a Philips rotary shaver, 3 heads, wet and dry etc.

Brilliant, close shave, quick, spotty/inflamed neck cleared up in a couple of weeks. However its got no sideburn trimmer thing and its a pain to clean, and it can be a bit tiresome trying to get a close shave under the neck which then results in irritation like I used to suffer. Although it may just need some new rotary heads, I’m wondering what else is out there.

Are the foil type shavers better? With the rotary I find I have to do a pass moving it in clockwise circles, and then another pass anti-clockwise, and then usually more lather and repeat.

Or should I just try a different DE razor…I’ve only used a 2nd hand Murkur Futur but did stick with it for a couple of years. Tried it against last week and it was a disaster, the next day my neck had flared up again. (and that was with a new, clean blade)

chewkw
    Free Member

You should try different blade as I suspect you technique comes into question when you get irritation. Try to avoid applying any sort of pressure because of sensitive skin. You may not realise that you have applied pressure while shaving until your skin flare up later on. Try using “chopping” motion instead of dragging the razor on your face when shaving.

If you get the right combination of safety razor and blade you should not get any irritation at all after that, 3 passes should be enough to get a very smooth shave with “chopping” motion.

If you find Murkur Futur not to your liking then you should try a simple three piece like Gillette Tech, yes some say it is mild razor but if you get a good blade you should be able to a smooth shave. Try combine with Personna blade, Astra, Gillette Yellow or Green but watch out for Feather as it is extremely sharp even for Tech IMO.

I have tried electric razor before and even with that I got skin irritation badly, partly due to pressure partly due to dull rotary blades I guess …

😛

spooky_b329

I’d gone through a selection pack of blades and chosen Astra Platinum, but then they seemed to get a bit scarce and I wonder if the latest batch are cheap knock offs.

Chopping motion… Do you mean use short over lapping passes? The Merkur is fairly weighty and perhaps that is disguising his much pressure I use when its under my neck.

Drac

a while ago I impulse bought a Philips rotary shaver

Next you’ll be buying an electric bike and electric fire.

Astra Platinum, but then they seemed to get a bit

Amazon always have loads I’m still working through the ones I bought 2 years ago.

spooky_b329

Next you’ll be buying an electric bike and electric fire.

Don’t worry, I balanced the electric shaver with a woodstove and a singlespeed 😀

tomfun

About a year ago I tried an electric shaver for the first time and I bought a remington foil shaver (paid about £60 half price in an argos sale). I could never shave daily with a blade and the foil was a big improvement over a traditional razor. That being said, the foil razor wasn’t perfect as it could be quite rough on the skin at times. When the foil broke I bought a Philips rotary just to see and I love it. There is a bit of an art to getting a perfect shave with a rotary but the same parts of my face were difficult with the foil shaver too. For me the rotary is head and shoulders above the foil as no matter how much I use it, it doesn’t rip up my face, I’ve been really surprised by the rotary as it is so kind to the skin.

spooky_b329

Thanks Tom… Good to hear I’m not the only one that struggles with a blade…

bigblackshed

The whole DE shaving malarkey is more complex than buying a razor and a blade. Both are very personal things, what works for one person may not for the next. The third corner of the triangle is technique. All three have to work together, if your technique is out no blade or razor will work for you. My 17 year old son uses a DE with no problems, cartridges just get blocked up with the fluff. I’m a “bluebeard”, but I use a different razor and blade to the boy.

I came back to DE after too long putting up with cartridge razors. I tried an electric buzzer in my early twenties, it just didn’t work for me, but that was a while ago. (ahem, quite a long time ago) They must have improved by now.

RustySpanner

Got a Philips last year, same experience as you at first – couldn’t get the neck close enough on the first pass, end up with a ras.

Found it much better if your skin is properly dry, so before I have a shower usually.

Proper cleaning involves a headtorch and specs – a proper pain in the arse.

Mine’s a dry one, came with the sidey trimmer, which is fine.
    Needs a steady hand though.
    🙂

spooky_b329

Update…although the electric rotary is kind on the skin, I hate the scruffy feeling after a day (with the DE razor it felt stubbly but not messy) so just tried a new razor from Cornerstone.

Its a multi-blade job but seems pretty good and it was a no brainer to try as with a referral you get £10 off, if you delete all the potions and just get the blades with a free handle, it comes in at £4 posted. Seems less aggressive than I remember my old Mach3 being, but still a close shave with virtually no nicks.

Cornerstone referral code for £10 off – http://cornerstone.co.uk/7oliver463

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shaving (new-fangled electrical content)’ is closed to new replies.