• This topic has 74 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by will.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • shaving legs
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Haven’t seen this thread for a while, so who’s a believer?*

*if trying to justify it please don’t use the road rash, increases aerodynamics or easier for my soigneur to rub me down as excuses

rOcKeTdOg

i shave everywhere but the legs

fontmoss
    Free Member

now that’s freaky. Have to admit i’m tempted to do the legs, prob because i’ve been on the road bike exclusively and along to a couple of tri races but the hairy t shirt will be even more pronounced, my legs look like twigs anyway and i’m whiter than casper the ghost 🙁

simondbarnes

I do. Mud cleans off easier, leg massages are much nicer 🙂

crazy-legs

Well I’m far too good* to crash and suffer road rash so for me it’s all about increasing aerodynamics and it’s easier for my soigneur to rub me down. 😉

* this may not be true

backhander
    Free Member

Never under any circumstances. A man with bald legs just isn’t right.

godzilla
    Free Member

Power to weight ratio?

Rorschach
    Free Member

There is no rational justification other than “I want to”.
    Unless you can’t stand the ribbing on the start line.
    Yes…yes I do.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

A man with bald legs just isn’t right.

don’t care if it makes you go faster, shaven legs on men = yuck (well almost all the time!)

stratobiker
    Free Member

It’s harder for ticks to get hold of a shaved leg.

I always shave my legs in summer.

tazzymtb

furry legs and lycra look awful so I shave my legs and it does make it easier when I stitch myself back up following the odd owie as well.

(I can’t see the point of bothering A&E when I can do a passable a job myself and chicks dig scars)

mrmo
    Free Member

much prefer waxing, a nice rush of endorphins

tazzymtb

eplitor jobbo thingies can tweak a bit but do give the best finish and it lasts very well. They also make my weekend entertainment role as Ruby the drag queen that bit easier

pastcaring
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member
    furry legs and lycra look awful so I shave my legs and it does make it easier when I stitch myself back up following the odd owie as well.

(I can’t see the point of bothering A&E when I can do a passable a job myself and chicks dig scars)

super glue, works for me and my hairy legs.

mrmo
    Free Member

oh look an atb rider with shaved legs,
    🙄

fontmoss
    Free Member

given the quality of bike jocks here..

it’s the internet, we all ‘used to race’ and beat steve peat back in the day etc etc

anyway, tazzy interesting point – was learning to suture this morning…

steveoath
    Free Member

The unasked/unanswered question is this…

Where do you stop when you shave your legs?

For the record I not a leg shaver.

Oggles
    Free Member

Shave to about 2 inches above the tan lines. Clippers above that point to get a nice blend.

Angry-pirate
    Free Member

maybe not shaving and dealing with the huge amount of drag will make you a better rider in the long run? i mean surely two hairy legs equates to like, a whole parachute attached to your back. you do the maths.

cinnamon_girl

No No No!

trickydisco
    Free Member

Rule 4:
    Legs shall be SHAVED year-round. ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS. Certain hair removal creams are endorsed only on a case-by-case basis. One shall never show up to a race (be it large or small) with ANY amount of stubble visible on one’s legs.

Rule 33:
    Legs are to be carefully shaved at all times. If, for some reason, your legs are to be left hairy, make sure you can dish out plenty of hurt to shaved riders, or be considered a hippie douche on their way

😀

Oxboy
    Free Member

Will shaving my legs offset the weight of my spare tyre beer belly?

oldgit
    Free Member

Shaved and oiled for summer road.
    Shaved and heat cream for winter cross.

Just like to keep em clean and tidy. Plus I do look like I’m wearing some Saxons trousers under my lycra if I don’t shave them.

marty_mayhem
    Free Member

I don’t see why anyone other than a pro or top level cat1 or elite rider needs to shave their legs. It really is not a nice sight lining up next to a male in his mid 40s with a bit of a belly and legs smoother than my mrs, at a local race. If I fall cuts and rash will get better hair or no hair and I am not in the fortunate situation where I get oiled up and rubbed down every night. (well except on a saturday night.) It is pure vanity at most levels of riding other than those that get paid to do it!

pastcaring
    Free Member

trickydisco – Member
    http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
    Rule 4:
    Legs shall be SHAVED year-round. ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS. Certain hair removal creams are endorsed only on a case-by-case basis. One shall never show up to a race (be it large or small) with ANY amount of stubble visible on one’s legs.

Rule 33:
    Legs are to be carefully shaved at all times. If, for some reason, your legs are to be left hairy, make sure you can dish out plenty of hurt to shaved riders, or be considered a hippie douche on their way

roadie rules? = shite

Oggles
    Free Member

maybe not shaving and dealing with the huge amount of drag will make you a better rider in the long run?

It’s nothing to do with drag, negligible resistance in air. Swimmers on the other hand do shave for that purpose.

Oxboy
    Free Member

It wont make bugger all difference will it, all that will happen is men will stare at you and snigger!

trickydisco
    Free Member

It wont make bugger all difference will it, all that will happen is men will stare at you and snigger!

funnily enough.. that happens if you turn up to road races with hairy legs

wingnuts

Oldgit, I’ll stroke them for you. Up to a point! Bet they’re as smooth as my bonce. Do you ever go out from Stockgrove on a Tuesday any more?

backhander
    Free Member

Seriously; if you’re a man who shaves the hair off his legs for reasons of (non professional) cycling then you have grandeur issues.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I don’t see why anyone other than a pro or top level or elite rider needs carbon components and top quality suspension. It really is not a nice sight lining up next to a male in his mid 40s with a bit of a belly,and a bike better than a sponsored rider at the local trails.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Trickydisco, they may laugh until they get beat by a bloke with hairy legs! oh the shame!

backhander
    Free Member

Fair comment
    In addition to the above; seeing pasty White noodle armed middle agers in skin tight clothing with bald legs riding £4k carbon exotica thinking they’re going really really fast is equally distasteful IMO.

partyboy
    Free Member

If GN ^^^^ has hairy legs is it okay to shave then?

oldgit
    Free Member

Oldgit, I’ll stroke them for you. Up to a point! Bet they’re as smooth as my bonce. Do you ever go out from Stockgrove on a Tuesday any more?

I haven’t myself since November, but the others do without fail. I’ll probably start again hen it’s too dark to get out on the road. Have you ridden with us?

wingnuts

Yep. Tim. Getting back into it. Road but need to do more. And gentle mtb would help.

RealMan
    Free Member

Girls love it.

Stop laughing. It’s true.

Also way more comfortable on the bike – and not just in lycra, but also with armour and pads. Also you get a more even tan (apparently (I heard this once (I think..))).

And mud/oil/sweat/general crap does come off so much easier. Looks better as well.

heechee
    Free Member

Why not pluck your eyebrows while your at it 😀

samuri
    Free Member

Girls love it.

This is the only explanation that works for me. Everything else is just ridiculous. But hey, if it floats your boat.

uplink
    Free Member

Each to their own I say – if some men want to have the Lola experience, that’s up to them

I won’t be joining them though 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘shaving legs’ is closed to new replies.