Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 230 total)
  • Shaving and proper razors
  • Hohum
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    Yeah, thanks for the info. I saw someone mention a 'sampler' pack of blades, that's very tempting.

Presumably "adjustable" razors refer to blade depth? Is that hugely desireable, or just something else to get wrong? (-:

Probably something else to get wrong IMO.

If your technique is good then you will be able to shave well with a non-adjustable razor. You have to make little tweaks to your technique to get it good. If you have an adjustable then the temptation will be to continually tweak rather than concentrate on your technique and you will just end up frustrated and with a sore face!

Sampler packs of blades are a greta idea because, as noted earlier in the thread, people rate blades very differently.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yes, adjustable razors allow you to expose more (aggressive) or less (mild) of the blade. They certainly have their place but I think a fixed blade is certainly the place to start (removes some variables). Once you're comfortable with the technique (i.e. getting the angle right) then you can think about whether an adjustable is for you.

I bought an adjustable Futur as my first razor and although it was fine (set it on '0' to start with and now up to '2' where it will stay) I soon bought a couple of old Gillettes which are great to use. I now appreciate the Futur more having got a better technique and will keep hold of it as it gives the closest shave but a fairly mild fixed razor is fab for a quick/good shave and is my goto piece of kit.

Expensive doesn't always mean better.

Cougar

Exactly what I was worrying about. Cheers guys.

My solution was to just wear stubble

To be honest, that's usually what I do as well. I certainly don't shave as often as I should do.

For me, this was the absolute opposite.

Fair enough. It'd be boring if we were all the same, it's good to know that what works for one doesn't always work for another.

Woody
    Free Member

This may be a stupid question from a convert of a couple of months but…..

I'm using a Parker 90r (double sided) with 7 o'clock blades which I am happy with at the moment. Question is can you, or should you, turn the blade over as and when it feels as though the sharpness has dulled slightly, or even flip it over on a regular basis? Does it make any difference?

sv

Had my first ever DE shave this morning – still alive! Worked ok still need to work on technique as some of the more 'angular' parts aren't as good as they could be. The easier areas feel smoother so I plan to stick at it. Used a cheapo Wilkinson razor/blades, also ordered that selection pack and an Alum block and got a free set of Gillette blades thrown in (shaving shack orders over £10).

Merkur from Santa 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Life is just to short to fanny about with blades on your skin.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Amen molgrips.

*buzzzzzzz*

*swish*

Job done.

jond
    Free Member

Or even
    "Life is just to short to fanny about debating the ins and outs of scraping the hair of yer face."

😉

I've got a pretty sensitive skin – shaving every day in my teens/20s would leave my face like a piece of raw meat after a week, but *probably* because I was shaving against the grain.

Only shave once or twice a week but don't get any of the irritation I used to with, guess what?
    Razor (40-60s era no idea what)
    Blades (whatever's in the supermarket, which typically isn't as fancy as Gillette of Wilksinson Sword)
    Bog standard washing soap (or whatever's available)

No faffing around agonising over brushes, foam etc.

If you lot are this bad over shaving, gawd knows what you're like about bikes 🙂

Cougar

"It's different for me, therefore you're wrong."

No.

molgrips
    Free Member

I did used to go against the grain. The reason being that going with it had little effect, leaving loads of stubble that jsut got really irritated when rubbing on anything.

Free your chin.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Question is can you, or should you, turn the blade over as and when it feels as though the sharpness has dulled slightly, or even flip it over on a regular basis? Does it make any difference?

If you mean take the blade out and turn it over…. no it will make no difference.

Jond:

Blades (whatever's in the supermarket, which typically isn't as fancy as Gillette of Wilksinson Sword)

Those will probably be Persona blades – not that your bothered 😉

Molgrips:

sharkbait
    Free Member

Doh! now look what's happened after reading this thread…… bought another old Gillette. This time a late '40s Aristocrat Junior for less than £12.00 – certainly worth a lot more than that 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member
    Doh! now look what's happened after reading this thread…… bought another old Gillette. This time a late '40s Aristocrat Junior for less than £12.00 – certainly worth a lot more than that

Where did you buy it from?

mavisto
    Free Member

Haven't got time to read through all the other posts, so my apologies if this is a re-post.

Have you tried THE DUTCH SHAVING SHOP.

I got one called Lord Metal Double Edge Safety Razor -Krabbertje.

Been very happy with it so far. I'm still in the process of finding the best blade, oh and the nicest soap.

Here is a little more detail.

Lord Metal Double Edge Safety Razor ,,Premium,, Lp.1822.

Lord Sterling 3 pieces Razor is made according to the high standards to give you a premium shave ever get.It,s durable metal parts hold the blade at the perfect angle to the face .This critical angle along with Lord blades makes your shaving smoth and close all days long.

Lord has be owned by Schick-Wilkinson for a long period of time.

3 pieces metal quality razor for a nice price.

Comes with 1 lord double edge Razor Blade.

Best Tested by the shaving forums.

Lord The Art Of Shaving-Made in Egypt.

I bought a selection pack of blades and so far the best have been the Lord ones. Funny that! Still only another 53 blades to use.

sharkbait
    Free Member

HoHum: the Bay of Thieves. Not entirely sure the seller knew what it was 😉

Woody
    Free Member

LOL That was a nice one. I've been beaten on a few over the past couple of days. I'm wondering how many have been bought by people from STW?

Come on, own up 😉

I 'won' a black Wardonia in a 'Service' box but the pic was so bad it was hard to tell which model. Worth a punt for £1.99!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not me…. I've been intent on not looking at razors until the other day. I'll stay away for a while now (maybe).
    That said looking at the prices of the razors on SafetyRazors.co.uk there's obviously some money to be made – there's a Gillette Ball End Tech on there for £30 and I bought mine for £3.00!
    I suspect a good Aristocrat Junior would go for about £65.00, so even if I had mine replated I'd still be £40.00 better off. People are now realising that the vintage razors are sometimes better than the new ones and the prices are rising accordingly.

Hohum
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member
    HoHum: the Bay of Thieves. Not entirely sure the seller knew what it was

Thanks.

Just been having a look and there are a lot of interesting things for sale on there.

Hmmm, I think that I will have a more detailed browse later on 🙂

motivforz
    Free Member

How often do you change a blade on a DE razor? Every shave or can you use them several times? I'm looking for a cheap razor on ebay now, anything in particular to look out for?

chewkw
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member

Doh! now look what's happened after reading this thread…… bought another old Gillette. This time a late '40s Aristocrat Junior for less than £12.00 – certainly worth a lot more than that

Bloody hell … that's a steal 😯 . I have been trying to get hold of one but the bid always ended higher than I thought.

Bought 5 razors (2 double and 3 single edge) for £3 at local antique market because one of them was a Gillette Fatboy. One aluminium safety razor and 3 single edge razor which I don't use but simply look at as I bought it only because I spotted a Fatboy.

🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

motivforz – Member

How often do you change a blade on a DE razor? Every shave or can you use them several times? I'm looking for a cheap razor on ebay now, anything in particular to look out for?

Changing blade depends on individual. Yes, you can use them several times. I change blade once a week which is ok for me but not for some especially if you have wire beard.

There are some good ones on ebay at the moment such as:

1) Item number: 330464016471
    2) Item number: 300461283757
    3) Item number: 120614400290
    4) Item number: 220660636341
    5) Item number: 280555839135 (doubt you need all of them but …)
    6) Item number: 220660636341
    7) Item number: 290469425549
    8) Item number: 130426461040
    9) Item number: 150487010105 (could be expensive i.e. > £60)
    10)Item number: 260658307042 (you might want to start with this one)
    11)Item number: 260658309070 (will be expensive i.e. > £65)
    12)Item number: 260658309585 (will be expensive i.e. > £50)
    13)Item number: 260658728407
    14)Item number: 260658731529
    15)Item number: 260658732239 (nice but not for you as it's open comb)
    16)Item number: 220662974316 (60s Gillette Super Speed … go for it)
    17)Item number: 250689583112 (fatboy & barber pole … good)
    18)Item number: 290467287669 (this one but price is sky rocketing …)
    19)Item number: 330467547185

Any of those listed above should be a good start except item 15 and 17 open comb which may be a bit risky for you.

I have highlighted item 10 & 16 (both 60s SuperSpeed) which I think are very good in terms of the condition. I have one myself.

Most are Gillette Tech that I think you could start with but should not pay more than £10 to £12 including delivery but some are sold by charity so it is up to you.

There are few items that highly sort after and I can see the price sky rocketing at the last minute so I shall just sit and watch. 😆

Just clean it or wash it then boil with hot water and you are good to go.

:mrgreen:

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^

Funny you should list a Gillette Super Speed chewkw as I bought one of those last night after reading the reviews on Badger and Blade 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

Nice research chewkw ….. you've got too much time on your hands! I wish you hadn't posted that though as I'm now looking at them 😥

In reality I think there's only one more Gilltte I would like now but its so closely related to th Aristocrat Junior i got yesterday I may not bother.

Not sure I'd boil a shaver as some coatings can be damaged by water that is too hot. A good soak and scrub with Mr Muscle should also do the job.

Prices are certainly rising aren't they!

How much did you pay for the SS Ho Hum? Think I paid £15 delivered for my '53 model including a small [modern] leather case.

Oh one other little bit of info: if you buy a razor that has worn plating Dave at Safetyrazors.co.uk will strip, replate and polish it for £15.00.

molgrips
    Free Member

Christ, you really can sell any old sht can't you? :P)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yes….. yes you can 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member

How much did you pay for the SS Ho Hum? Think I paid £15 delivered for my '53 model including a small [modern] leather case.

I think it was about £15 in the end delivered from the USA. I should really go and check. No case though.

The reviews I read on Badger and Blade were really positive and that was what swayed me in the end.

I can't wait until it arrives now!

Edit – just checked and I paid £16.27. It also said it was a Super Speed Flare Tip. Off to google to find out what Flare Tip means….

sharkbait
    Free Member

Nice one. Flare tip is the one with the conical door opener on the bottom. Great razors – nice small head that makes doing the tricky bits much easier.

BlobOnAStick

I've got a Merkur futur which I've been very happy with for around 5 years.

But just recently I've been finding it difficult to get a nice shave from it (I've been cutting my face more and getting uneven shaving across the blade). I put it down to a faulty batch of blades for a while, but examining it last night I found some significant patches of corrosion on the parts which hold the blade in place – to the extent that I think they are deforming the shape of the cutting edge.

I find this a bit disappointing to be honest – has anyone else's suffered from this or is it just mine?

BOAS

LycraLout
    Free Member

Just a note to say thanks guys. I came across an old (1917 date stamp) brass Gillette travel razor that I've had kicking about for years. Motivated by this tread, off I went to Boots to pick up blades, soap and styptic pencil. Wow, I'd forgotten just how good a shave it is. Quick, easy, close and remarkably bloodless – no need for the pencil.

And if any one's interested, these are on fleabay just now

BigJohn

I've been clearing out my late Uncle's house recently and this thread prompted me to find his old razor, which I'd seen but previously ignored.

It's a Rolls Razor Viscount, just like this. I think it's early '50s. Everything like in the picture except the instruction leaflet.

I've honed it and stropped it and tried a shave myself but it's not really my thing.

I'm going to go back to my Gillette Sensor Excel with Tesco Gel and put this feller on eBay.

Unless anybody has any other ideas…

Hohum
    Free Member

Ebay would seem to be the place to sell vintage razors mate.

I was amazed by how many were for sale.

Fingers crossed that it is very collectable and you get a decent price for it 🙂

I was experimenting with my shaving set up this week and tried out a Merkur blade I had kicking about and although it was nice and sharp it did scrape my skin places and left it feeling quite raw so I went back to the yellow Gillette blades this morning and had a much better shave.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Unless anybody has any other ideas…

Well the Sensor Excel/gel idea is completely pants, but the idea about eBaying the old razor is a good'un. I bet you could get good money for that (which you 'could' put into a normal doubled edged razor).

sweepy
    Free Member

If anyones in Gairloch, theres a bric a brac shop which had something looking very similar to that thing Bigjohn posted, I think it was 2 quidoud need to rummage tho, I think it was to the right of the door.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

There's a shaving shop opened in our town, so i went to get myself a new razor. ended up with one of those Merkur Futur things. £50 for a razor? I must be mental. More money than sense, etc, etc. Then I tried it. second shave, up to 2 on the adjustor. 24 hours later, still smooth. what an utterly awesome shave. I've always reckoned the razor is just a carrier for the blade, but this is just soo different. So, £50 – steep, but very very good.

chewkw
    Free Member

Folks,

If you need a good shaving brush at reasonable price then you might want to consider animal friendly Boar brush like this one I just ordered today.

This one: Semogue 620 – £13.08(including tax) + £2.21 delivery from http://www.shaving.ie (Ireland)

They are also having sale on 200 bulk pack Gillette Yellow 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge for £24.56 (including tax) + £3.31 delivery.

Gillette Yelow 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (www.shaving.ie)

The Gillette Yellow 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge and Iridium Super Blades are both brilliant blades with the latter out of stock. I am waiting for them to stock up Iridium again (250 bulk pack) before I order and am considering ordering Gillette Yellow tomorrow. So with all these blades I am going to have I will just have to wait for the nuclear war to start and still enjoy my shave every morning.

😆

p/s:

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

There's a shaving shop opened in our town, so i went to get myself a new razor. ended up with one of those Merkur Futur things. £50 for a razor?

You should look at really desirable classic Gillette safety razor and your £50 will not even go near in buying one.

As for Merkur adjustable I prefer the classic look of Merkur Progress Long Handle 510001 or Merkur Progress short handle.

Here from Shaving.ie again …

Hohum
    Free Member

My Gillette Super Speed arrived on Saturday and I tried my first shave with it yesterday and I was very pleased with the results.

The finish of the plating is a little bit tarnished in places, but not bad considering how old it is.

I may have to look into having it replated to bring it back to its former glory!

sharkbait
    Free Member

I may have to look into having it replated to bring it back to its former glory!

Dave at Safetyrazors.co.uk will strip, replate and polish it for £15.00.

Hohum
    Free Member

Thank you sharkbait.

I will have a look into that and will probably go ahead and get it done soon.

Woody
    Free Member

This razor thing is becoming as bad as my mtb addiction. I have now picked up 4 different razors + a load of different blades which came with them, a badger brush and some nice shaving soap at a total cost of around £70. Apart from the soap, I think I have enough to remain clean shaven for at least 10 years!

FWIW I've found the best/closest shave is with the Parker/feather combo as the handle is longer than the others and the weight feels 'just right'. The Merkur HD/Seven o'clock is also very nice but I've only used that a couple of times so far. The others also give a good shave and TBH there is nothing wrong with the £3.99 Boots one. It does exactly the same job!

dunsapie
    Free Member

A friend of my wife directed this
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371208

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 230 total)

The topic ‘Shaving and proper razors’ is closed to new replies.