• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Merak.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Shavers of STW… ( face only )
  • santacruzsi
    Free Member

I’ve read a few posts on here in the past about alternative razors besides the regular high street ones, Gillette and the like.
    Lately I find I’m always cutting myself, I change the razor often, pre wash before shaving etc..but still no joy.

Anyone got any up to date recommendations for any alternative razors ? Any online store recommendations?

Cheers.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think you’re talking about the double edged thread…

I certainly find it more comfortable than the more midern multi bladed.

Cougar

Consider soap and a brush first rather than changing razors.

beefheart
    Free Member

You’re asking the wrong forum- everyone here has a beard.

kerbdog
    Free Member

Use a shaving brush and a good shaving soap. Much better than that foam rubbish in a can.
    Take small smooth strokes and keep tension on the skin, shaving in the direction of the growth or across the growth never against the growth.
    Theres no reason you should be cutting yourself with modern razors really.
    A good brush and soap is one of the best things you can treat your face too and it will work out cheaper in the long run over the foams.

sadexpunk

i caught the DE bug, now ive caught the SE bug, so have a few razors to sell on if you fancy trying one?
    nice modern one is this merkur stainless steel jobby if you fancy a punt? also got 3 vintage gillettes (not sure which im selling of these yet) and a couple of SE razors going too.

emails in profile if you fancy trying one, and id chuck in some mild blades too.

Pigface
    Free Member

Face only? I am out

frogstomp

Just changed to the King Of Shaves Hyperglide razor and it seems pretty good – buy the reduced gift box set from their site.

IHN

Normal shave gel or foam + Normal razor (Mach 3) + one of these:

http://www.shaving-shack.com/razorpit.html

= nicer shaves, less irritation and a fortune saved in blades.

geoffj

Electric

Switched 18 months ago and only wet shave now about once a month.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mach 3 and shaving oil for me. Only ever shave after being in the shower which makes a big difference. Use moisturiser after shaving too. Makes the shave the next morning more comfortable.

Razor has some impact IMO technique and preparation more important

BillMC

Wilkinson Quattro has a battery driven version of a wet shave and cheap. I’ve tried all sorts and have tricky bits to shave but this is the best I’ve come across to date and gives a really close shave with a light pass.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Most cutting comes from bad technique. Don’t press into the skin. At all.

Use a pre-shave oil before the soap/cream and just let the weight of the razor head glide across the skin, very gently.

Try a lot of different “gurns” to stretch the skin as tight as possible. Air in the cheeks, bottom lip curled in, etc.

Cougar

Mach 3 and shaving oil for me.

I found multi-blade razors and shave oil to be a really bad combination. You spend more time de-clogging the razor than actually shaving.

I guess it might work if you shave every day, but with anything resembling a bit of growth it was a nightmare for me.

stumpy01

Cougar – Moderator

I found multi-blade razors and shave oil to be a really bad combination. You spend more time de-clogging the razor than actually shaving.

+1. Tried it, but found the cut stubbles clings to the oil and clogs the razor up.

OP, I would try a brush & shaving soap. Body Shop do a half decent brush & shaving soap; macca root something or other in a blue tub. It’s about £8, but lasts ages.
    Also, grow a bit of stubble and take 5 mins looking at which direction all the hairs are growing. You might need to alter the direction you shave in certain areas of your face, depending on which way the hairs grow.
    Do you use the hottest water you can stand without scalding yourself? I find if the water isn’t proper hot, I always nick myself.
    Oh, and finally perhaps try shaving with a little less pressure on the razor; you shouldn’t be cutting yourself at all with a cartridge razor.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh, and finally perhaps try shaving with a little less pressure on the razor;

You reckon?

stumpy01

Mr Woppit – Member

You reckon?

Not really, no. It’s just what everyone else seemed to be advocating so I thought I’d join in.

ourmaninthenorth

You’re asking the wrong forum- everyone here has a beard.

Er, I thought everyone here was 13 years old and still living with their mum?

Merak

Er, I thought everyone here was 38 years old and still living with their mum?

FTFY

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Shavers of STW… ( face only )’ is closed to new replies.