• This topic has 42 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by donks.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Sharpening a Kitchen Knife
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I have tried a steel and a whetstone and have manged nothing else but to serially blunt every knife we own. 😳 Is there an idiot proof gizmo that the hive mind can recommend to put a decent edge back on my knives?

Stoner
    Free Member

If it’s a cheap knife then a “foolproof” but ugly method is to use an allsharp sharpener. If Im lazy I use it on my crap knives, but I also a steel EVERYTIME I use the knife to minimise the times I have to sharpen.

Remember a steel doesnt “sharpen” a blade, it merely “unfurls” the curled leading edge to regain the sharpeness.

shermer75
    Free Member

Stoner has it^^^

DezB
    Free Member

£33?? Jeez, I bought one on eBay for about £4 and it works perfectly.

slowjo
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’ll go with the ‘ugly method’ to kick off with. The knives are old and ‘well loved’ but are certainly nothing special. Once I have established a decent edge to them, I’ll practice with the steel until I get the knack!

Stoner
    Free Member

sorry, “Anysharp”

AnySharp | The World’s Best Knife Sharpeners

there are loads of fakes about, (although they still kind of work, it’s not rocket science – you drag a long bit of metal between two sharp bits of metal like a die and scrape off spare metal. v v ugly!)

but the originals have a nicer weight and feel to them.

neilwheel
    Free Member

You need a very shallow angle for kitchen knives, only 10 or 15 degrees between the blade and the steel. A few heavy draws straight across the steel should get them useable again unless they are really done.

Once you get an edge again, a little and often works best, as above. Storage is also important, if they are stuffed into a container or rattling around in a drawer with other metal utensils they will get dull very quickly.

mark90
    Free Member

Sorry but that video is reason enough not to buy one.

svensvenson

Being something of a luddite I prefere a whetstone, the problem is finding a good one – most that you can find in the shop are useless. If you’ve got a good one, the best method(I think) is to use an action that imitates slicing a very thin slice off the top of the stone. Ie cutting edge forward, around 30 – 25 degrees ideally.

Course if your knives are totally blunt this might take a while! ( in which case a pot of elbow grease is a good addition)…

svensvenson

Or flatter if you’re going to be doing this operation more often as Neilwheel suggests.

DezB
    Free Member

it’s not rocket science – you drag a long bit of metal between two sharp bits of metal like a die and scrape off spare metal.

Exactly. So why pay stupid money for one when you can get one for a few quid and try it out? I don’t get it.
    Just checked, I paid £1.26 + £1 postage, to try it out, and it works a treat. I guess its blue plastic and not pretty stainless steel, but I’ve had it 2 years now.

wwaswas

I use one of these and it does the job fine;

http://www.bladetech.co.uk/

Just under a tenner.

hot_fiat

So nobody uses a bench grinder? Must be just me then.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I use a Minosharp and gives a sharp and long lasted edge to the knives. The edge you get from sharpening is also down to the quality of the knives so whilst you get a sharp edge it may not last long on lesser quality blades.

neilwheel
    Free Member

So nobody uses a bench grinder? Must be just me then.

I’m happy to use a handheld grinder but didn’t want to recommend that option. I’m assuming if the OP had a bench grinder, they would have figured it out by now, or have no knives left.

Milkie
    Free Member

I use a linisher, takes about 4 seconds a blade, but also takes just as long to completely screw up a blade too! 😉

Also have a couple of machines that can sharpen knives up to 12 feet long. 😉

footflaps

I just use a steel, takes a few swipes on each side and they go from blunt to dangerously sharp…

wilburt
    Free Member

Diamond stones, easier than an old whetstone get a couple one courseish one fine they sometimes come in packs of different grades usually for just a few pounds.

As with most things these days youtube is a wash with instructional videos on knife sharpening.

scruff9252

I’ve used an ikea one for the past few years. Simple to use and gets knives ridiculously sharp in a few seconds. You will have to go into ikea to pick it up however.

jairaj

I’ve used a couple devices similar to the Anysharp device (Stoner’s link). They are OK but don’t work well on blades that aren’t straight. So give the knife a good session on the steel beforehand to get the blade straight and then use it on the Anysharp device. The original has a better feel than the copies but they pretty much work the same.

But I found the Mino Sharp device (Drac’s link) to be much much better. It gets the blades sharper, is more tolerant of damaged blades and easier to use. I have the 3 wheel version (rough, medium and fine wheels). The rough wheel essentially does the same job as steel but its easier for the less experienced user to use and get consistent results. Its very quick to use, every now then you just have to drag the blade over each wheel 10 times, it takes seconds to do and you get a consistently sharp blade each time.

I have seen copies of the Mino sharp at cheaper prices but not used them. Again its not rocket science, so the copies probably work just as well.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Buy a decent sharpening stone and learn how to use it. There are various helpful youtube videos out there. I reckon the Japanese know a thing or two about sharpening blades so I bought a Naniwa combination stone. Now I could almost shave with my knives.

Stoner is spot on re steels- they can restore a sharp edge but can’t sharpen an already blunt knife

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve always used one of these….

does the job every time…

FWIW
    it depends on the quality of the knife and what its being used for as to how often you need to sharpen it
    we have a range of different knives on the knife block…some get used more often than others
    my wifes favourite was a big kitchen devil knife…its about 9 years old now and needs sharpening quite regularly
    my favourite knife is my stellar samurai sanktoku it will cut through anything and needs sharpening once every blue moon
    the wife was never that keen on using it but recently has started to use it more often after she realised how good it was and is now her favourite
    we also have another stellar santoku knife that is as good as the other one.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I use an idiot proof minosharp ceramic sharpener and keep the knives separate so they don’t hit metal to metal.
    Quick to use and has maintained a good edge on my favourite knives for years. If I had a dull knife that needed more attention I would take it to the place in soho the chefs use for a new edge.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

And don’t let your other half buy glass chopping boards 😥

hot_fiat

IME glass chopping boards, particularly those embellished with poppies, are easily addressed with the clumsy application of a 25cm steel pan.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

IME glass chopping boards, particularly those embellished with poppies, are easily addressed with the clumsy application of a 25cm steel pan.

Thanks for the advice. A stealth approach is the only option as apparently ‘they are much more hygienic than my wooden ones’

bob_summers

If you already have a set of stones but struggle to get the angle right, try one of these:

budgierider67

I use a Chef’s Choice 460 which is great for serrated blades too.

johndoh
    Free Member

A few heavy draws

Noooo! Don’t press hard, a moderately light action is what’s needed.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So how come our butcher just goes ‘swish swish swish swish’ on a steel & ends up with an edge that would take a terrorists head off with one slice?
    I was always amazed as a kid watching the Co Op butcher sharpening his knife. (don’t worry, I wasn’t THAT amazed)

Cougar

I think it’s called “practice.”

Clobber
    Free Member

They use stones as well! Just finish or re-finish with the steel…

johndoh
    Free Member

Agreed – I used to work in a chippy and was taught how to fillet and de-skin fish which meant a very sharp knife. I used to get a great edge but sometimes now I fail miserably as I am out of practice.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Noooo! Don’t press hard, a moderately light action is what’s needed.

There’s context there, John.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I use some seriously expensive stones, or atleast the back of them, the front is for chisels and planes,

I have a bald patch on the back of my wrist from testing them 😀

thecaptain
    Free Member

I got a diamond-coated sharpener off ebay for all of about 2 quid. One of these little metal sticks – smaller than I expected. Works a treat. Seems quite a bit more effective than a plain steel and easier than a sharpening stone. Maybe there is a downside somewhere along the line but for sharpening kitchen knives and scissors (plus garden tools) it seems to be just the ticket.

Milkie
    Free Member

We have one of these here at work.

Ok if you are useless at sharpening, don’t mind it eating away the knife and then spending another 10 minutes making the bevel nice! Useless!

I have tried stones (very expensive stones), steels and machines, they all have their place, but not a single one does everything.

Stones: Great for getting that that razor sharp edge
    Steels: Great for renewing a knife that is still ok
    Machines: Great for screwed knives, chips and dents

I’ve just ordered the AnySharp.

Rusty: Nice link, but a bit OTT for kitchen knives!

alpin
    Free Member

best method i have found is to use a bit of porcelain… find a china cup, turn it upside down. now that bit where it is unglazed, drag your knife at a shallow angle across it doing both side of the blade.

bingo.

was shown to me years ago by a chinese guy… not this one:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQAiyanQf8c[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Sharpening a Kitchen Knife’ is closed to new replies.