Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shark cage vs wolf cage
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I doubt anyone has used both but I’m interested in collecting thoughts on rear mech optimisation devices.

I’m looking to improve the shift on my Hope 10-48 cassette with a shimano mech.

Shark cage is easier to get in the UK but if the wolf cage is better then it might be worth the effort of tracking them down.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just me looking at them then?

BearBack
    Free Member

One-up pioneered wide range rear mech optimization didn’t they. 3rd generation now vs first for wolf?

km79
    Free Member

I thought for a second there that stuffing yourself into a cage with fresh meat hanging from it in the midst of a pack of wolves was now a thing.

Onzadog
    Free Member

BearBack, I think you’re right. Wolf Cage is a little cheaper as it only needs one plate changing but no UK importer so that adds over £15 to it. I don’t mind paying tax and duty but that parcel farce fee really stings.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

One up rad cage has been doing the job well for me and you only have to change one side of the cage for Shimano mechs.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think th shark cage needs both changing but it’s no biggie. In fact, that’s the other advantage, it means you can convert gs and sgs mechs.

vincienup
    Free Member

I thought for a second there that stuffing yourself into a cage with fresh meat hanging from it in the midst of a pack of wolves was now a thing.

sometimes STW really could do with a ‘like’ button 😆

What’s the particular shifting issue? I know that it’s not a valid answer for some people but there’s always the option of a SRAM mech that doesn’t need the cage mods.

jodafett

Onzadog, Shark Cage, BearBack and Wolf Cage all in the same thread and everybody understands what their talking about!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Because the cassette has a wider range then the mech is designed for, the b-tension screw is adjusted so that the top jockey clears the largest sprocket. This means than on the smaller cogs, the chain isn’t following as close as it might and I feel a slight lag in the shifts because of this.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Well, I finally decided on the One-Up shark cage. Unfortunately, it appears to have made sack all difference.

With the mech set up to work on the smaller end of the cassette, the cage plate clashes with the cassette. Adjust the b-tension to clear that and the smaller end of the cassette goes vague and needs an overshift to make it happen.

Mech hanger is straight, I checked it while I had the mech off to do the cage swap.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shark cage vs wolf cage’ is closed to new replies.