Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Share your experiences of Swiss Army knife refurbishment.
  • Ambrose

Today I found a long lost Swiss Army Knife, given to me by my lovely Mum all those years ago. It could do with some tlc, has anyone any experiences or recommendations of a good service.

Once, years back I used Burton McCall? and they were superb. I’ve emailed them already. Any other suggestions?

Edric64
    Free Member

Is this a 60000 mile service including cambelt ? Are you serious its a cheap knife

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Can’t help I’m afraid, but I’d lke to know how to polish some fine storage scratches out of my SwissFlame SAK

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I accidently left a Swiss Champ in a pocket and it went through the boil wash. I heard it thumping about but it was too late…
    When it came out all the blades were a lot easier to open, The pen hadn’t leaked and it wrote first time.

For more formal “servicing” contact the importer. They’re very good with (free) replacement tweezers etc.

Ambrose

Edric, one day you may find something that somebody special gave to you. Something that you thought was lost and gone forever. The last time I can remember seeing this knife was when I was in Torridon a couple of years ago. I used it to fix a problem on a ride around Beinn Damph.

I’m happy to find my knife, to me it has much more than just monetary value. All I asked for was advice. You gave so much more than that though.

sweepy
    Free Member

A few years ago a friends kid found a big victorinox with a snapped main blade. I was working in an outdoor shop at the time so I spoke to the repairs/returns bloke and he sent it off, to victorinox I presume. Anyway it cost about three quid and when it came back it was almost indistinguishable from new.

godzilla
    Free Member

Id send it back to Victorinox if it’s a Vic.
    What’s up with it?

nealglover
    Free Member

No point using anyone else, Burton Mcall are the importers, they will sort it out better than anyone else.

If they can’t fix in the UK they send it back to Switzerland to be fixed by the manufacturer.

They did mine for free (years ago) and it came back like new.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

All I asked for was advice. You gave so much more than that though.

STW. Try asking how best to repair some Crocs…

grey

Oh, i’ve a Victorinox with a broken scissors blade, I think I’ll get in touch with them :-).
    First knife I bought, so I’ve a sentimental attachment to it. Must be 35yrs old.

Ambrose

It needs new scales, some blades are misaligned, and some of the dividing plates are bent at the ends too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Is this a 60000 mile service including cambelt ? Are you serious its a cheap knife

& I hope your rabbit dies & you can’t sell the hutch.

Sentimental value stuff is worth It’s weight in gold. Hope you get it sorted Ambrose & get it back to it’s former glory.

daftvader
    Free Member

Malvernrider… Give it a polish with 400 grit wet and dry then go up the grades till its polished….

Ambrose

Cheers EGF. I accept that money could buy me a new one easily, all I’d have to do is to walk into town to buy one but it would not be the same.

Sentiment and memories cannot be bought though.

dmorts

This has reminded me that I have one of these somewhere. Worthless probably, but was my first penknife. The blade was in definite need of TLC.

You could cut down small trees with the saw, not that ever did mind…. 😯

globalti
    Free Member

Remember when every boy had a penknife in his pocket? We used to use them for all kinds of stuff like whittling spears and carving our names on things. I even hitch-hiked to London and back with a sheath knife on my belt. We got picked up heading back to Oxford by a hippy in an estate car that was full of copies of Oz magazine; he offered us a copy and we had to cut the string round one of the bundles so I produced the knife. He was a bit shocked and said “Er…. lads…. what’s the knife for?”

Would two 15 year-olds hitch-hike to London now, let alone openly carry a sheath knife?

JoeG
    Free Member

dmorts – I have one of those, too. Somewhere… 😐

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I hope you get it sorted and second the wet and dry method.

Things like that can mean a lot. I have a knife from my parents; a gift for my 12th birthday. Part of the ‘inspection’ at Scouts was making sure you had a penknife and length of parachute cord in your pockets.

A couple of years ago, when flying in Asia, I had it in my carry on luggage and realised too late. I wasn’t able to get check-in luggage recalled and spent many times the cost of a new one having it couriered back home rather than leave it.

Defender
    Free Member

F rom the sound of it good customer service is readily available for these knives.
    I have several genuine Swiss Army knives.
    However the one that sticks out in my mind was a cheap Japanese copy that I bought in Jersey in 1982, for about £3, the only thing that ever broke was the little eye that held the key ring loop, that didn’t bother me too much and it gave good service for years until knives became something not to carry with you everyday and I got a pocket multi tool.
    I’ve still got it somewhere in the loft and no doubt just as good as it ever was.

kiwijohn

I found this one run over on the road 15 years ago.

Kept it on my key ring since then.
    Last year I found the local knife shop could refurb it for less than half the price of a new one. New sides, tweezers & toothpick & it’s good to go.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Share your experiences of Swiss Army knife refurbishment.’ is closed to new replies.