Viewing 17 posts - 121 through 137 (of 137 total)
  • Sharadopa
  • MSP

Reading that, I am surprised she got off so lightly.

It seems to clearly state that she was taking it as a PED before it was banned, then sentence on the basis that she is just a dopey blonde and how was she meant to know the authorities had caught up with her PED of choice.

fifeandy
    Free Member

To summarise, she’s been using the drug as a PED for years and it says in big print on the box what the active ingredient is. It’s a shame they didnt give her the full 4 years.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

From this:

FWIW I can’t believe the World #1 tennis player doesn’t have a doctor/manager who reads her WADA email

To this:

Seems rather harsh to me for a drug that was legal until Jan 1, 2016. BBC says the Tennis Federation asked for a 4 year ban.

One moment you’re having a go at her & the next you’re supporting her??

Make your mind up…!

Personally I think she deserves all she gets – I’ve no time for cheats & liars.

ratherbeintobago

She claims to have taken it for magnesium deficiency and family history of diabetes? Wouldn’t a doctor in the US prescribe a magnesium supplement and a diabetes medication rather than an unlicensed drug?

I’d not be prescribing diabetes medication for someone on family history alone, unless they actually had diabetes.

Sharapova’s excuse is a lame one for taking something she should have known not to take. It’s the athlete’s responsibility to make sure they don’t break the rules; wasn’t that the justification for banning Contador for the clenbuterol positive?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

She is pretty though. Maybe they should let her off.

lunge

And she knew exactly what she was doing, living in the US for 20 years, and with the best doctors money can buy available to her for quite some time. Yet this drug, supposedly essential for her welfare was prescribed by a Russian “family” doctor for an ailment her US doctors knew nothing about

This.

She got popped and now has to deal with the consequences. She’ll fight it, obviously, but 2 years seems very reasonable to me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

All l want is the same scrutiny and media coverage for other sports that cycling has been subject to, in respect to doping.

So we should be in for another 12 years of finger pointing 🙄

She is pretty though, so we should be leanient 🙄

vickypea
    Free Member

ratherbeintobago- if I was a doctor, I couldn’t see why it would be necessary to medicate based on family history alone. Seems a bit bonkers.

ratherbeintobago

ratherbeintobago- if I was a doctor, I couldn’t see why it would be necessary to medicate based on family history alone. Seems a bit bonkers.

That was my point. If someone has a strong family history, then surveillance is probably worthwhile, but that’s not the same as starting treatment, especially starting treatment for a completely different and unrelated condition that just happens to have performance enhancing benefits.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And she knew exactly what she was doing, living in the US for 20 years, and with the best doctors money can buy available to her for quite some time. Yet this drug, supposedly essential for her welfare was prescribed by a Russian “family” doctor for an ailment her US doctors knew nothing about

Nail/head.

mrblobby
    Free Member

especially starting treatment for a completely different and unrelated condition that just happens to have performance enhancing benefits.

… and then continuing the treatment for years after you’ve stopped working with that doctor, not disclosing it to your new team (doctors, nutritionists, agents), and not disclosing it on any of the drug testing paperwork despite being required to do so. I think she got off lightly.

ratherbeintobago

I think she got off lightly

Yep. Does anyone know why she didn’t get four years, which I thought was the going rate for a first offence these days?

leffeboy

It’s quite amazing that she got off with it given the very dubious nature of the defence. I wonder if she is taking a risk contesting it in that they might then change their minds as do the 4yr instead

dragon
    Free Member

Amazingly Nike and Head are standing by her. Wonder what strings they are pulling behind the scenes to get her back on court shortly.

chewkw
    Free Member

Big money sport = take chances = take risky banned substance = win money.

Loads of money!

You lose!

😆

mmannerr

Amazingly Nike and Head are standing by her. Wonder what strings they are pulling behind the scenes to get her back on court shortly.

Could it be that certain mr. P has some weight behind the case, small hint about Nike import licences or taxes in Russia should do the trick..

mrblobby
    Free Member
Viewing 17 posts - 121 through 137 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Sharadopa’ is closed to new replies.