Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shand Stooshie tyre clearance
  • randan
    Free Member

Helllo

First post here. I am looking for a new do it all bike and currently the Shand Stooshie is at the top of my wishlist. I am based in Switzerland and Shand is not a popular brand here therefore I am seeking some advice on singletrackworld.com. I asked Shand about the tyre clearance of the Stooshie frame. They told me it was 35mm with mudguards, 42 mm without mudguards. Then I saw these pictures of this Stooshie on radavist.com and gravelcyclist.com that has 700x45c tyres that fit the frame even tough it’s a tight fit.

That is a lot more than Shand confirmed. Anyone here has a Stooshie that can share some details about tyre clearance?

Thanks a lot.

Regards

fasthaggis

I think that even though it looks like a 45mm would fit,I would only want to use that on the road.
    Any thick mud/gravel picked up on an off road ride could clog or buff away the paintwork.
    That’s probably why Shand recommended 42mm.

nedrapier

You’ve got a picture of a bike with an actual tyre in and the clearance available, is that enough clearance for you?

If you’re asking a framebuilder/manufacturer for their recommendations, they’ll be cautious, because there’s a huge amount that can affect whether a tyre is too big for a frame:

– How much mud are you riding in? dry hardpack only – you can get away with bigger tyres and less clearance.
    – One company’s 42c is another’s 47c.
    – From one 42c to another – one might be perfectly rounded with low knobs, the other might be squarer with wide shoulder knobs. the widest point on the latter tyre will be higher in the stays and reduce clearance.
    – Rim width will change the actual width and the actual profile of the tyre when it’s mounted.
    – Differences in rider weight, riding style and wheel stiffness will affect how much a wheel deflects in the frame, and how much clearance is taken up by that deflection.
    – Some riders will be horrified at paint rub, others won’t care.

If you’ve got tyres in mind, google “measured width calipers shoulder knobs casing [ your tyre here ]” and have a think about how much clearance that leaves and whether that’s enough for you given all that^.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shandcycles
    Free Member

Hey Randan,

pretty much every 42mm I’ve ever tried/seen will fit in the Stooshie. Some 45mm tyres might fit but I don’t know which ones will and which ones won’t which is why we suggest 42 is the biggest. Two other points :

1) The standard TRP fork on the Stooshie is the limiting factor on tyre width, not the frame (the Lauf fork in that picture has more clearance than the TRP).

2) Frame size affects clearance, bigger frames have more clearance than smaller (although the smallest frame still have 35mm with mudguards and 42mm without as minimum).

ianfitz
    Free Member

I understand that custom options are available too should you want more clearance;-)

randan
    Free Member

Thanks a lot for all your answers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shand Stooshie tyre clearance’ is closed to new replies.