• This topic has 29 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by paton.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Shand Stooshie, Mason Bokeh, Bowman Pilgrim – what else?
  • Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Looking for a new bike, wondering if I have missed anything else off the list.

I’m not a roadie, I ride to work a few times a week (30k each way) and have a choice of roads & bridleways. I probably do about 5-10 actual road rides a year & don’t plan on doing any more, i’d rather ride my MTB.

Anything else similar? Kind of a ride most things bike? Don’t even know what they are classed as – road bike with fatter tyres??

Budget for the frame is reasonable, looking for something nicer than a Cotic Escapade, but not really Field/Speedvagen money 😯

aP
    Free Member

niner RLT9 – various options – aluminium, steel, carbon
    Salsa Warbird
    Some of the fancier Norco offerings?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Don’t even know what they are classed as

Posh adventure/gravel bikes.

Add the Open UP to your list (note that your bank manager may disagree)

1-shed
    Free Member

Sondor camino might be worth investigation.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Tripster?

Saying that, I’m planning on demoing a Bokeh to see if it’s as good as all the reviews say and if it is I’ll be replacing the Tripster with one. Ideally I’d like the Ti Bokeh but I’m struggling to convince myself that I can justify it!

therevokid
    Free Member

if the Bokeh is half the bike I suspect it is it’ll be brilliant.
    I have the Definition and have to say, having ridden a few (!!) bikes
    over the years, it’s by far and away the best at just about everything
    I’ve owned.

Go talk to Dom and get a demo potter 🙂

I’ve heard “talk” that the Open is a little lifeless to ride, but not
    having ridden one can’t comment.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I demoed a Pilgrim last autumn, loved it, drew up a spec and ordered one. But then found out there were no frames left in my size and it would be quite a long wait.

Bike shop suggested I try a Kinesis Pro 6 instead as the geometry was broadly similar – I was initially reluctant as I didn’t think I really wanted a CX bike.

Glad I did, as it turned out I absolutely loved riding CX, and with some nice road wheels it makes a great road bike too.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I have the Definition and have to say, having ridden a few (!!) bikes
    over the years, it’s by far and away the best at just about everything
    I’ve owned.

How noticeable is it on the climbs that its a bit heavy compared to a carbon race bike?
    I’m super interested in a Definition or Bokeh, but its a hell of a long way from Fife for a test ride!

kcal
    Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Niner RLT could be an option – spotted one frame second hand cheap, which could be a way of trying my toe in the water.

The Bokeh I do like the look of – I know it seems silly but dropping ~£1100 on an aluminium frame seems a lot? The reviews seem to suggest its really rather good however.

Open UP looks disgusting with the stays. If I was spanking that much it would be a Field/Speedvagen instead.

Maybe i’ll be sensible for once and pick up something second hand & it it works out, I can revisit the Mason & swap bits over.

johnnystorm

Orbea Terra worth a look

aP
    Free Member

The RLT9 and Bokeh are within about 10-15% of the same price – so broadly equivalent – aluminium frame, carbon forks, electronic routing (except for Campag EPS in the case of the RLT9). I ordered my Bokeh frame in December and picked it up two and a half weeks ago, whereas something else might be quicker to order and receive.

pigyn
    Free Member

Second the orbea terra. We have one here and it’s LOVELY

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Various Niners have been on sale at Topfun (Spanish distributor) for months, up to 50% off depending on size and colour option.

http://www.topfun.com/en/894-rlt-9-steel

http://www.topfun.com/en/buscar?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=RLT+9&submit_search=

Gotama
    Free Member

Cannondale Slate fits in given the budget you’re looking at doesn’t it?

Or Whyte Friston and Gisburn albeit they might fit in the same mould as the Cotic.

beagle
    Free Member

I’ll be ordering a Mason soon. A special, keep forever or as long as possible bike. 99.5% sure I want the definition. My only worry is I purchase the definition and Dom changes the rear brake mount to flat mount – I’d be gutted. I have flat mount brifters sat around waiting to go on. I think it’s a bit odd at the moment with flat mount fork and post mount rear.

Bokeh is tempting, and maybe more versatile as I’ll be ditching the pro6 frame – which I’d recommend as a great do it all frame.

aP
    Free Member

Just ridden my Bokeh home from where it’d been built up. Intermediate build until the Etap HRD groupset arrives mid-May. Seems nice to ride in the first 6 minutes…

breninbeener

Moots Routt?

sillyoldman

Ridley X-Trail, Genesis Vapour/Datum?

ransos
    Free Member

How noticeable is it on the climbs that its a bit heavy compared to a carbon race bike?
    I’m super interested in a Definition or Bokeh, but its a hell of a long way from Fife for a test ride!

I bought a Definition to replace a Wilier Mortirolo, which is a carbon bike with proper race geometry. I can’t say I’ve noticed the extra weight (which is about 1.5 lbs) but the bike is smoother to ride. I’ve used it for touring, family holidays, audaxes, night rides, club runs, fast sportives etc, and it’s felt perfectly suited to all those different applications. I think I’ll give a TT a go this year…

For descending and climbing Alpine cols, I’d rather have the Wilier, but there’s not a huge amount in it, and the Mason is better at everything else.

fifeandy
    Free Member

For descending and climbing Alpine cols, I’d rather have the Wilier, but there’s not a huge amount in it, and the Mason is better at everything else.

Thanks, that’s kinda a little bit what i’m worried about. The extra weight between the two would be ~3.5-4lbs in my case.
    I’ve got a 2010 Addict, it loves mountains, both up and down. I love mountains too (they’re the one thing at cycling i’m actually good at) and for that magical one week a year everything is awesome.

However the reality is for 51 weeks a year, its ridden in the UK in a county where most road surfaces resemble MTB trails.
    I’m convinced the Definition/Bokeh(depending on wheel/tyre choice) will be a better option for the vast majority of my riding, but worried it might take the shine off the weeks away.
    And obviously worried it leaves a nice carbon race bike gathering dust on the turbo much of the time.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m convinced the Definition/Bokeh(depending on wheel/tyre choice) will be a better option for the vast majority of my riding, but worried it might take the shine off the weeks away.

I kept the Wilier F&F intending to build it back up for trips away or fast summer rides, but I enjoy the Mason so much I never felt the need. I sold the Wilier in the end. If it really bothers you, you could always hire a decent bike for holidays and as you say use the Mason for the other 51 weeks.

Nipper99
    Free Member

All City Macho King.

flange
    Free Member

I had an RLT and wasn’t a massive fan of it – felt a bit ‘dead’ despite being quite a nice build.

Were it my money (and I’m deliberately not looking on the website to stop myself buying one) I’d have the Mason. Check if the geometry works for you though, I know Dom designed it to be a bit more ‘head down’ than most of the others. They’re flippin lovely though

Talbot 4-season? £1650 and looks mega!

paton
    Free Member

A chance to look at a few options this weekend
    http://www.bespoked.cc/

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Why do people keep talking about the Definition and Bokeh as though they are the same bike. To my understanding they are quite different propositions.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Not a very good pic of my All City but a top ride,

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PJg3a3]20161217_125106[/url] by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

fifeandy
    Free Member

@UrbanHiker
    They are clearly not the same, but there’s an argument to say the Bokeh almost makes the Definition obsolete.
    Very similar geometry, very similar weight, but has the extra bottle cage mount and much bigger tyre clearance.

After winning the Transcontinental race on a Definition Josh Ibbett chose a Bokeh for the following year.

The one thing the Definition does still have in its favour is it looks gorgeous and will make you smile every time you look at it before you even start pedalling.

@Flange being a bit more ‘head-down’ is very much part of the appeal for me

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

So much choice. You may aswell narrow it down by avoiding bikes with high BBs, TT cable routing, bars as high as the saddle etc.

Engima are probably worth a look. Bowman bikes do some decent looking frames aswell.

I’d get a Shand/Talbot/Rourke though. Or a CAAD12

paton
    Free Member

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Shand Stooshie, Mason Bokeh, Bowman Pilgrim – what else?’ is closed to new replies.