• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Shand Stoater or Tripster ATR
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

which would you go for and why – I think the Shand is a bit classier. Anyone have experience of both?

1-shed
    Free Member

No experience of either, but that is quite a nice dilemma to have. I am planning a new build for next year as I’ve got a big birthday coming up. Want a steel or ti frame that will fit schwalbe big one or thunder burt but also thinking about road plus. What build are you going with? Cheers 1 shed.

gaidong
    Free Member

Hi Nipper,

I don’t have a Shand but I have a Rourke custom that is essentially a stainless steel Stoater (Shand and Rourke are buddies). I use mine for commuting and the Rohloff and Gates belt have been very nice. I also spoke to the Shand chap (Mike?) on the ‘phone about a beltline question and he was very knowledgeable and helpful. Here’s a piccy of mine:

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

I’ve my heart set on the Kinesis Tripster ATR v2 which should be out this autumn .

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Holy Crap!! 😯

How tall are you to ride a bike that big?^^^^

MoreCashThanDash

A mate has a Tripster. Looks great but I wasn’t as blown away as I thought I would be.

Stoater is on my lottery winning dream bike list. I like steel, I like British builders, I just want one. Didn’t feel the same way about a Tripster, and believe me, that dream bike list has quite a bit of Ti on it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I had a 2012 725 croix der fer, so not quite a shand, but steel.

When I swapped the frame over for the tripster I dropped a couple of pounds weight I think, not hugely noticable as the croix was 22.5lbs and not a tank like a stock one.

But the tripster is a lot more comfortable for longer rides. Part of is probably the frame and some the 40c tyres and slacker ha.

Can’t see what the tyre clearances are for the shand.

But the shand might be more ‘special’, and it also might be lighter and springier than the croix anyway…

teadrinker
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member
    Holy Crap!!

How tall are you to ride a bike that big?^^^^

New game!

I’m going with 6ft 5 with a 34/35″ inside leg. Brown hair for bonus points.

EDIT: Sorry OP I have no opinion on either but I have just had a Niner RLT which is lovely but I didn’t like the geometry so I went back to a Pinnacle Arkose which I’m more than happy with 🙂

brassneck

A mate has a Tripster. Looks great but I wasn’t as blown away as I thought I would be.

I don’t think it’s that sort of bike. Ownership has just made it creep up on me, in a ‘it just does everything well’ sort of way rather than some epiphany.

I reckon I could quite easily use it as my only bike. But don’t tell Mrs B that.

Never ridden a Shand but they look very nice, and maybe a little more personal. If weight and cost were roughly equal it’s a heart decision .. I hadn’t heard of the Stoater when I bought, but the carbon forks and a bit of weight saving would have swung me to the tripster anyway (it’s my only road bike where that counts a bit). A stoater in duck egg would be rather nice.

zilog6128

I’ve my heart set on the Kinesis Tripster ATR v2 which should be out this autumn .

what’s so great about the v2? And does this mean the v1 frames will be going cheap?!

scotroutes

If I was after a steel frame then Shand would already have my money. I’m a Ti whore though so my Van Nicholas Amazon will be in my fleet for a while. These jonny-come-lately Tripsters? Pah. Copycats.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I’ve got a Shand Stooshie on order- lighter version of the Stoater with carbon forks

rewski
    Free Member

There’s a Mason Ti on the horizon

gaidong
    Free Member

I’m 189 cm, which is about 6’3″? Inside leg is proportionate, or so I’m told. I know the bike’s verging on garden-gatey but it fits and none of me looks cool anyway. Including my BLOND hair 😀

splorer

My Stooshie, arrived last week, very happy

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Very classy!

birdage

I think the Tripster is an ok road bike, an excellent light tourer and an absolute blast on trail/bridleways etc. Never tried the Shand (always lusted after it) but had a Peregrine (steel) which was a great ride but a bit heavy off-road. I’d imagine there’s pros and cons between both of them but ultimately both are great bikes. Stays on the Tripster and the headtube are still hard to beat though….

MoreCashThanDash

Ooh! Liking that Stooshie. How’s it ride in the real world? Supposedly lighter but harsher than the Stoater from the website. How long did it take you to pick the colour?

(Looks at dream lottery winning bike list, pen poised to cross out Stoater and replace with Stooshie…..or one of each……)

grievoustim
    Free Member

love the stooshie

Mine is going to be orange

did you ask them to spray the stem – or did they just do that as standard

therevokid
    Free Member

Mason Resolution (or the new BokeH that’s on the way ) ??

splorer

@grievoustim
    The stem came painted. a very nice surprise. The colour is imperial blue in matt finish. Very nice in the flesh

splorer

@MoreCashThanDash

All I can say is that if the Stooshie is meant to be harsher than the Stoater, the Stoater must be the bike equivalent of a comfy chair. The way I measure bike comfort is that I forget about the bike completely and just enjoy the ride and drift off. Not harsh at all.
    As for the colour, it was a lingering debate. I was leaning towards sage green but my in-house stylist (the wife), liked the blue.
    TBH, I had originally enquired about the Stoater but the Stooshie just seemed right

MoreCashThanDash

Cheers splorer – I’m becoming quite keen on the Stooshie, had somehow missed that it took guards as well

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

zilog6128 – Member
    what’s so great about the v2? And does this mean the v1 frames will be going cheap?!

Nothing life changing, internal cabling and the 142mm rear drop out is handy. I have a spare set of hubs to build up. I was close to ordering a Tripster ATR then realised an update is imminent so going to hold off for now.

firestarter
    Free Member

I had the same dilemma, shand got my money and I’m glad they did the tripster is nice but it’s not a shand

ontor
    Free Member

The stooshie is an incredible bike. Mine took longer than expected to arrive but it is exquisitely made and rides exactly as well as you would hope. I have had custom bikes, off the peg bikes and the stooshie is my favorite by far. I love it.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Would there be much difference between the production Stoater which are welded and the ones that were more bespoke which I think were brazed.

Sam

Had a look at a Singular Kite?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I was about to throw in the Kite to the mix. Seems like it should be up against the other two.

There must be someone on here who has had all three 😉

Nipper99
    Free Member

Part of the attraction of the Shand was the complete build – part of me just wants to buy something nice off the shelf rather than buy frame buy everything else etc which is normally the case. I had a Gryphon and a Pergrine and still have my ‘keeper for life’ Swift.

Sam

We can do complete builds Nipper, in fact I’m just in the process of putting together some ‘stock’ complete builds.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Shand Stoater or Tripster ATR’ is closed to new replies.