Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shameless plug for my Charity event – London to Llanberis 'Team SnowDom'
  • freeagent
    Free Member

My younger Brother Dom lost his long and hard-fought battle with bowel cancer in October last year. He was 36 years old.

Dom was a keen Cyclist and had ridden from London to Paris in Oct 2012, having just finished a tough round of Chemo.
    Dom and I often discussed ideas for future adventures, and one idea he had was to cycle from London to Mt Snowdon, and then to climb Snowdon. My reply was something along the lines of – “That is a long way to ride a bike, just to end up in Wales” before our conversation turned to more glamorous European destinations.

However, Dom shared some wishes with us before he died, one of which was for us to do his Snowdon trip…
    After a chat with various other people at Dom’s memorial event Team SnowDom was born – the rest is history waiting to be written….

At time of writing, 13 Cyclists (including myself) have signed up to ride the 330+ miles from High Holborn (Central London) to Llanberis, at the foot of Mt Snowdon.
    We will set off on Monday 15-September, arriving in Llanberis on Friday 19th.
    We will then be joined by 30+ other friends and family, to climb Snowdon together on the Saturday.

We are raising money for the Colorectal Unit at University College Hospital (UCH) headed up by Dom’s surgeon Mr Richard Cohen.
    Dom and his wife Nilly met him at the very beginning of his illness. Over the years he was a great support to them both and to our family, offering clarity and compassion through some of our toughest days.

The unit is involved in research, training and innovation in all aspects of colorectal disease. There are a group of surgeons and physicians based at UCLH all of whom have on-going research projects into aspects of the specialty. They are also heavily involved in teaching and training students and colleagues nationally and internationally. The unit funds the costs of visiting surgeons coming to UCLH to teach new techniques, and to support visits from surgeons working in poorer parts of the world.

Research, and particularly innovative research, is expensive and successful projects can take years, but the results, which are better outcomes and longer survival rates for patients with colorectal disease are invaluable.

We are aiming to raise £50,000 to kick start an initial research project, which if successful can then be taken to larger grant making charities to progress the project further.
    This will be a great legacy for Dom, and I know he’d be very proud of our achievements.

At time of writing our memorial fund stands at £23,397.

Much of this money has been raised through other fundraising events; These include Nilly running the London Marathon, and another of Dom’s close friends conquering the 56 mile Comrades Ultra-marathon in 7hrs 22mins (Yes – he ran two marathons back to back + another couple of miles in a bit over 7 hours!)

You can read about our other fundraising achievements here –
    https://www.justgiving.com/remember/90943/Dominic-Sutton

If you feel you would like to make a donation to our cause, please follow this link to my just giving page –
    https://www.justgiving.com/mattcsutton

Please don’t feel you have to donate – If my post has served to inform you that Bowel cancer doesn’t just affect elderly people, then my job is done.

If you’d like to follow our progress, please ‘like’ our Facebook page –
    http://www.facebook.com/TeamSnowDom

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, sorry it was a bit of an epic!

Kind regards,

Matt.

bearnecessities

Lovely write up chap; donated.

Happy to consider joining you in the event & raise moolah, but no email in your profile.

Drop me an email if you want an extra body to join – I’ve not got much on 😉

freeagent
    Free Member

Thank you for your kind donation, much appreciated.

We think we’ve reached a good number of riders for this event, and they are all friends/family/work colleagues of my brothers (which was important to us)
    However, if this goes as well as we’re hoping, I may look to do something similar next year, and try to go a bit bigger.
    If this happens – I’ll put it out to the wider world much earlier.

Thanks again. x

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bearnecessities

Understood and great idea; fingers crossed a few can dig deep for a cause that can easily affect so many of us.

bearnecessities

A little bump as think this missed radar of many.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m pretty pleased with our Jersey Design as well..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shameless plug for my Charity event – London to Llanberis 'Team SnowDom'’ is closed to new replies.