Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 219 total)
  • Shameful act – north west mtb club
  • postierich
    Free Member

Loving all the BogRotter haterz on here, the club probably does more for accomodating Lady riders of all levels 🙂
    We even let them map read sometime 😉

sefton
    Free Member

We even let them map read sometime

😆

sorry…made me chuckle

BoardinBob

We had a girl come out on a group ride with us once who was seriously struggling. She had a supermarket BSO and couldn’t even keep up on the flat at a gentle warm up pace. We had a chat with her and convinced her maybe this wasn’t the ride for her. One of the group then took her back to the start of the ride and made sure she got home safely. Absolutely no excuse for just dropping someone and abandoning them.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Bourbon anyone?

Please. Kettle’s on.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

We had a girl come out on a group ride with us once…

My hero. 😆

xcgb
    Free Member

Just to nip this in the bud it was the Xmas club weekender and she joined the wrong ride and ended up on the moderate ride instead of the easy ride. Decided to head back to Hawkshead YHA and enjoy the XMAS market but had chainsuck caused by a bent chainring on route back.

Put ya Hobnobs back

Yes but on her own?

BoardinBob

We had a girl come out on a group ride with us once…

My hero.

The first and last. 😆

postierich
    Free Member

I think the shameful act that the original poster was riding around a lake on a friggin road bike! Get on your mtb you pussy :-)or ride up some hills 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Somebody could have volunteered to accompany her, if the group couldn’t fix the problem on the spot.

martinhutch

Earlier post answers this. Company back to car offered but declined…I suppose you could insist on accompanying her, but I’m not sure this kind of gallantry is considered the done thing any more.

I still want Hobnobs, though.

Northwind

The important factors are missing- was she single, and was she hot? If the answer to these 2 questions is yes, then letting her ride away unleghumpedassisted was bang out of order.

I’ve been the slowest person on rides, if I know where I am I’ll go off and do my own thing, it’s just riding by yourself, whether you start in a group or not doesn’t change that. People shouldn’t be abandoned but that doesn’t mean they need their hands held either.

postierich
    Free Member

yes but on her own

She was not 12!

yoshimi

Somebody could have volunteered to accompany her, if the group couldn’t fix the problem on the spot.

Maybe read the replies already – FTR her char wasn’t jammed when she left them

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Yes absolutely, apologies if my post sounded unfair, I’m sure that you postie-rich and all the others are a great group, and I don’t even have a 3rd person view of the situation, my post is just the details that she told me.

She may have volunteered to go back, and turned down company, but who would want to spoil the ride of someone else on the day? She may have put a brave face on at the time but from what she was saying she was just very put out, and she was at least 5miles from hawkshead I’d say (not far from lakeside yha) and it was probably looking like a very long lonely walk back on the road for her!

Again, don’t mean to sound slanderous towards the group, I just think that a more responsible decision could have been made.

Garry_Lager

martinhutch – Member

Earlier post answers this. Company back to car offered but declined…I suppose you could insist on accompanying her, but I’m not sure this kind of gallantry is considered the done thing any more.
    It is the done thing, because most people are going to decline in that situation as they feel embarrassed at putting the group out – it’s foolish to take that at face value. Group leader needs the communication skills to make it clear, in an agreeable way, that accompanying a struggling rider back is the way things are done.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

And she wasn’t single, her boyfriend was in the group! Oh ohhh!

postierich
    Free Member

Our solicitors will be in touch 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Nobody wanted to go to the German market with this lass?
    Could have shared a sausage. Chance missed.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Yes postie rich so will mine, my gloves are covered in half a bottle of oily bird from the chain!

martinhutch

And she wasn’t single, her boyfriend was in the group! Oh ohhh!

So she’s single now, then? 😀

Garry – is that really the way it’s done? That totally puts me off joining a group ride on the grounds that if I’ve been totally humiliated fitness-wise, I want to be able to slope off in disgrace on my own…

wwaswas

her boyfriend was in the group!

frankly, then, if he wasn’t prepared to accompany her back then why should any of the other riders.

Doesn’t sound like the BT’s did much wrong, tbh.

Woman joins wrong ride (to be with boyfriend?) and can’t cope.
    Abandons and boyfriend doesn’t go with her.
    Has mechanical on way back to start and gets upset.
    Curry man on a road bike rescues her and then waits a fortnight before posting on a forum in a slightly inflammatory way.

sefton
    Free Member

Could have shared a sausage. Chance missed.

I heard she loves sausage too!

clubber
    Free Member

Slander slander slander!

Am I too late to the thread for hobnobs or just to shout ‘stone them’ indescriminately? 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

My two experiences of them

1. Was at the back as I had opened a gate. Caught up with someone whose chain had snapped and helped them fix it – never been to the area before – Boggies did not stop. Thankfully , chance not planning as they failed to notice, it was straight path back to cars

2. Riding , by chance as they were in my area, with them., Pass a stopped MTB – one asked if they were ok

“no” came the reply. they all rode off!!!

Add to this there inability to give a **** about where they ride and when and they are not the riding buddies I choose.

Individually they seem fine tbh and they do a lot for the community , sadly not all of it is good.

To be fair we lost 4 people on a STW ride, and did not notice, so it can happen.

Seems like they did do the right thing but I would still rather ride down south than with them

crazy-legs

I’ve ridden with the Bogtrotters on a few occasions (admittedly many years ago) and never seen them leave anyone behind. Rides were always graded – if anyone wanted something faster they’d do their own thing.

In fact I sold a MTB to a woman who (by her own admission) was obese and she was desperate to lose weight, wanted to start biking to lose weight etc and had heard of this club. She bought the bike from the shop I was working in telling me all about this and I flat out told her she shouldn’t ride with them the very next day, she should get used to the bike first.

But no, she turned up the next day to this ride, walked almost everything and even then they didn’t leave her behind or tell her to ride back to the car.

I was on that ride, she knew exactly where she was and was happy to turn back…There was an offer of not leaving her to back on her own too…It was declined…..

Well there we go, sounds like you got half a story…

postierich
    Free Member

If you think the Saturday rides are unfair do not attempt a Wednesday night ride with the South Lakes Squadron they are a bunch of a holes nothing gets in the way of a beer and savoury snacks post ride!

tomaso
    Free Member

Sounds like the Xmas do. 60 folks with hangovers 2 or 3 rides for different abilities. Not sure who this was or whether it was the ride I was on but as someone has already said she declined to be led back knew her way at the time and had a working bike when she left.
    If it was the ride I was on it was of mixed ability and at the slowest riders pace. We even had the decency to wait around for the air ambulance to take someone to hospital.
    But by all means fire up tue outrage bus and lets all go for a ride! Let the flamming continue…
    Yours sincerely
    Tom Wednesday Northern Nightride Committee member of the most loved bike club on STW.

PS Anyone want to discuss footpaths…

clubber
    Free Member

punches ticket for the outrage bus!!! Three coming along at once…

ozzo
    Free Member

Right for all you who just hate the bogtrotters, this is what actually happened.

The girl in question was struggling on the very 1st hill we came out to. As it was graded a moderate ride with a few miles to go and very little daylight, I suggested to her that it wasn’t an easy ride at all and that she will really not enjoy herself as she was already 1-2 miles behind everyone else after 2 miles on the flat so she was quite realistic about it and was very happy to go back and have a ride to the Swan hotel for drinks and food – I’d like to re-iterate that she was quite happy with this.

And as for all you asswipes on here slagging BT’s off well tough monkey nuts, you need to get all the facts before slagging someone off.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Sounds like there isn’t really a case to answer reading all the posts

Its a difficult situation though as you don’t want to alienate newer riders. However, everything is relative, and one mans moderate is another’s flat out. When I first joined our local club 2 years ago, I went along on an introductory ride thinking I’d cream it but even that was too quick for me! A few months ago, on a ‘medium’ paced 3hr club ride in FoD, a new chap joined us thinking he was of ‘medium’ fitness and ability but was pretty much shot and was struggling with the trails after 15 minutes.

wrecker
    Free Member

I heard she loves sausage too!

Nick

STW – full of the easily outraged who love nothing more than a story about someone being shitty to somebody else just so they can express this outrage.

It’s a bit sad really 🙁

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

The only party worth lambasting in this situation is the boyfriend. What an a-hole.

xcgb
    Free Member

And as for all you asswipes on here slagging BT’s off well tough monkey nuts, you need to get all the facts before slagging someone off.

New here? 🙂

CheesybeanZ

Can someone clarify a point , are the hobnobs open ?

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Not intended to be a slagging off of the bike club, just sharing an opinion of what I think is unreasonable in a group ride, whether that actually happened or not.

And wwaswas… If that even IS your real name, why shouldn’t I wait two weeks to post on a forum? I didn’t realise the story had a tell by date, and anyway, I’ve been off work since then, and everyone knows that you should only use STW when someone is paying you to do something else.

Anyway, can I join your club please?

sefton
    Free Member

I heard the boyfriend abandoned and went to the Christmas markets

clubber
    Free Member

Time for a GEEK FITE!

Junkyard
    Free Member

STW – full of the easily outraged who love nothing more than a story about someone being shitty to somebody else just so they can express this outrage.

Are you not being shitty and express your outrage?

clubber
    Free Member

I’m outraged by all the shitty outrage on this thread

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 219 total)

The topic ‘Shameful act – north west mtb club’ is closed to new replies.