Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • "Shamed" on Facebook for not giving to charity – what to do?
  • mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Long post, apologies in advance.

Mrs Doubleu and I have a lovely little boy aged 16 months. As part of preparing for his arrival, we went to NCT prenatal classes. Although the initial classes were a bit hippyish and not as practical as we would have liked, its been good to have a “peer group” going through the same stuff at the same time and we’ve kept in touch with the other families. It was a good source of advice and support for Mrs Doubleu when off on maternity leave and we had a 1 yr birthday party and picnic over the summer. So far so good…

A lot of the chat / advice is done via a private facebook group and we were all friends on FB. Some of the chat, among the mums, has been about losing “the baby weight.” One of the mums has decided to join weight watchers and even posted before and after photos cos she’s proud of the weight she’s lost. So far, so annoying (but no more annoying that most of the guff on FB… )

This same mum has now set herself a challenge of walking a marathon for a charity of her choosing and publicised this on her FB page and even in our private NCT group page. She overstepped the mark as far I was concerned when she went through alphabetically tagging her friends to recurrent posts about this charity challenge and her progress in training, with comments about people not having donated yet. Mrs Doubleu got tagged first and I said I’d defriend her if she did that to me. She’s been up to doubleu in the alphabet now, and tagged me with a “shaming post” and got duly defriended.

Mrs Doubleu has been tagged for a second time. My piss is simmering a little…

Live and let live?
    De-friend (and possibly upset the support group)?
    Tag Wars?
    Leave FB and go and live in the woods?

jam-bo

A, B & D

glupton1976
    Free Member

Get wife to put a post on FB about how shite that charity is and why you think only a mug would raise funds for it. in for a penny in for a pound.

project
    Free Member

Are you both able to have children legally , eg aged over 16, facebook is for children not fuly developed adults.

DE-FREINDING, get a life and live it away from facebook.

Junkyard
    Free Member

get into a long debate about what shoes she should wear till you have ring fenced the unicorn

facebook is for children not fully developed adults.

Yes if there is two thingx i have learnt posting on stw it is
    1. Posting on the internet is shit – you must say this by posting on the internet and without any irony
    2 STW is a very mature and grown up audience

Cougar

Post an update saying how shocked and mortified you are that someone would stoop so low as to use emotional blackmail in order to try and extort money from you.

yunki
    Free Member

Public message saying that her tactics feel a bit more like extortion than charity work (with a LOL if you want)
    Then mention that all the harassment is stressing you out and you’re off to spend your donation in the boozer.. End with a NOW who’s feeling guilty (no LOL)

project
    Free Member

Just remembered a freind fell out with another freind on face book and she defreinded them, it caused more trouble than Bradley manning and thatcher could ever have created.

scaredypants

Do you get to reply to these tags ? (I don’t facebook 😳 )

If so, either explain why you’re not giving or else explain that her shaming tactics are unsuitable and that (though you may have intended to initally?) you’ll therefore not be donating, or giving to something else instead (the shelter for abandoned self-centred passive aggressive bossy cows, perhaps ?)

tomd
    Free Member

Find the charity’s accounts showing they spent £500k a year on their CEO and £2million on executive team building events. Post on fb and tag

CountZero

Just point out that any charity donations you make are to charities of your choice, not somebody else’s, and certainly not somebody who resorts to online bullying, which is what her actions boil down to.
    I won’t be bullied emotionally into giving to some random charity by chuggers in the street, at my front door, or on line.

glupton1976
    Free Member

2 STW is a very mature and grown up audience

chvck
    Free Member

Remove tag, tell her to do one. Turn on tagging reviews and reject any further tags.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Just point out that any charity donations you make are to charities of your choice, not somebody else’s,

This is the crux of the matter, if you feel the charity is worthwhile or you want to support the person doing it then contribute if not it’s probably time to get yourself on facebook and change your relationship status.

dannybgoode

Ignore, plain and simple.

Anyone that knows you isn’t going to be bothered. Any who doesn’t isn’t going to be bothered.

I would at most perhaps PM the said blackmailer and polite point out that you aren’t particularly keen on being tagged in posts for not sponsoring someone you barely know but wouldn’t do it publicly.

I see arguments been friends I know in their 40’s and they come across like school kids so keep it discrete.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just send her a message saying **** off money is tight?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Are you both able to have children legally , eg aged over 16, facebook is for children not fuly developed adults.

This.

duntstick
    Free Member

Block her, nobody else likes her tactics either.

piemonster

Remove tag, tell her to do one. Turn on tagging reviews and reject any further tags.

Plus one

Or just ignore, in the circumstances I can’t really see why you’d be bothered in the first place tbh.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

She’s no better than the play-ground bully.

Tell her to do one.

Thats my response to bullies.

That is unless you connect with the issue.

TBH I think she’s bang out of order to try & bully someone into a charitable donation, particularly at the moment!

edit: shame her in return for being a bully!

piemonster

Either that or Bombers soaked in wee

chvck
    Free Member

Why is what is essentially a forum with your friends (and maybe a couple of others) which can be locked down to not be fully public less acceptable than a forum with a group of strangers that is fully public?

edlong
    Free Member

How the flippity flip did my life become so dull and pointless that I’m reading this? Let alone posting a comment about it?

FFS

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I like the benefits of being old enough not to give a flying watsit about FB (not to old to use FB instead of Facebook though). Really, who cares what people whom conduct their lives on the internet think about you?

soobalias
    Free Member

she is going to walk a marathon?
    do we have a justgiving link for that?

aracer
    Free Member

I’d ask how much she is giving to the charity, given that she’s claiming to be walking it “for charity”.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Walking a fing marathon?

Shame her into actually running one if she really has the charity’s best interest at heart. Lazy moo.

Oh and tell her to stop bullying people.

supercarp

Ignore it fb is total rubbish. If i want to give to charity i do so when i want and to my chosen charities not because i have been named and shamed, why not reply you will sponsor her to run rather than walk!!

TooTall
    Free Member

Hint that you didn’t think bullying was the sort of thing you might find in an NCT group and that you give to your own chosen charities.

wl
    Free Member

Ignore her. As someone else said, people who know you won’t be interested, and neither will people who don’t. The others tagged probably feel like you, they just didn’t have the balls to resist a childish, bullying and altogether unpleasant tactic. Perpetrator probably thinks she’s been clever when really it’s anything but.

Danny79
    Free Member

Google a suitable chugger image maybe PhotoShop it including suitable witty comment about walking a marathon. Upload to Facebook and tag her.
    Report back here as the flaming escalates 😈

twoniner
    Free Member

Will you sponsor me? 😆

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Ok… Despite my initial knee-jerk pee-stained bomber response, the thinking now is just to live and let live.

Mrs doesn’t want to cause any upset in the group. But we are not going to be coerced by this behaviour. We’ll just accept the moral high ground up above this childish behaviour, not give to “her” charity, and sponsor someone else when they go for an actual run.

aracer
    Free Member

Danny79 has it. That is just so appropriate.

IanW
    Free Member

Bin Facebook its for knobs.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Is walking a marathon really that note worthy? Just how much ‘baby fat’ does she have offs! That blokes that was paralyzed in Iraq/Afghanistan that walked a marathon was a hero…..the fat mouthy woman that you describe less so!

johndoh
    Free Member

Agrees.

Tell her to run it and you’ll sponsor her.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Why is what is essentially a forum with your friends (and maybe a couple of others) which can be locked down to not be fully public less acceptable than a forum with a group of strangers that is fully public?

Because it’s friends and family. Have an anonymous bust up anonymously with another anonymous poster here and it really doesn’t matter. Do that with friends and family and it causes real problems.

It’s as bad as being friends with your neighbours. Madness. You can’t fall out with them if you don’t know them.

headfirst
    Free Member

Donate 11p, but be sure to show your workings out:

26 X 1p per mile – 15 X 1p per hour taken

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘"Shamed" on Facebook for not giving to charity – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.