Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Shame on you Fox Racing Shox…. (RANT)
  • Kryton57

Thats not what Tim Flooks told me a year ago. It was the very man I was talking to when I was discussion my then other rp23 failure. He told me the OEM fox seals were a weaker part than that which TfT use.

That may have changed though I guess, but I can’t see why he’s lie to me. Perhaps the fox service kit is better than their oem assembly components.

Kryton57

glitchybump

grum
    Free Member

Let’s be honest, it is. Compared to the numbers of Fox rear shocks on bikes out there, it’s fractions of a percentage.

And if it was new OE, why didn’t you send it back to Mojo for them to fix it for free under warranty? That’s what a warranty is for.

This….

oh because you’ve got too much money and WANT IT RIGHT NOW. My heart bleeds for you really.

There’s a ridiculous level of hysteria about Fox stuff going wrong. As I’ve said before based on my experience Rockshox fails 100% of the time and Fox never ever goes wrong.

LoCo
    Free Member

Fox don’t sell their damper seal kits to anyone, so everyone has to get their seals manufactured, whether they’re ‘tougher’ is debatable, good selling point though 😉
    Your shock sounds like it had a not been assembled very well (Possibly) and subsequently failed pretty quickly, Mojo would have warrantied it as quickly as TF did for a charged service I would guess.
    Reliabilty of Fox rears is pretty good TBH, never had any issues with any of mine from new as long as they were looked after properly.
    When did you speak to Tim? he sold TF 2 to 3 years ago.

njee20
    Free Member

based on my experience Rockshox fails 100% of the time and Fox never ever goes wrong.

What a daft statement, that’s clearly not representative of ‘real life’!

grum
    Free Member

What a daft statement, that’s clearly not representative of ‘real life’!

It’s only slightly more daft than people who claim that if you buy fox stuff it will almost certainly go wrong because there’s some forum posts about it come up in google. That was my point.

Your shock sounds like it had a not been assembled very well and subsequently failed pretty quickly, Mojo would have warrantied it as quickly as TF did for a charged service I would guess.
    Reliabilty of Fox rears is pretty good TBH, never had any issues with any of mine from new as long as they were looked after properly.

Oh dear OP 😆

LoCo
    Free Member

X fusion shocks ate my hamster 😥

Kryton57

Thanks Loco.

I spoke to Tim last in 2010 – despite the fact he sold the business I think he still floats about from time to time, may not so now.

I’ll drop Mojo an email and perhaps see if they’ll refund the cost, worth a try.

grum
    Free Member

I’ll drop Mojo an email and perhaps see if they’ll refund the cost, worth a try.

I’ve done a draft for you:

Dear Mojo,

I’ve been childishly bad mouthing your products on the internet after a single failure which could have happened to any product. I thought it would be best to act like i just found out I wasn’t the real father of my children.

I compounded my problems by unnecessarily paying for someone else to fix it when you would have done it under warranty just as quick.

I now want you to give me my money back, but I will continue to whine about your substandard products and service.

Regards

Kryton57

HTH

Kryton57

grum – Member

I’ve done a draft for you:

Dear Mojo,

I’ve been childishly bad mouthing your products on the internet after a single failure which could have happened to any product. I thought it would be best to act like i just found out I wasn’t the real father of my children.

I compounded my problems by unnecessarily paying for someone else to fix it when you would have done it under warranty just as quick.

I now want you to give me my money back, but I will continue to whine about your substandard products and service.

Regards

Kryton57

HTH

What I’d like to post, would get me banned again. Kindly Far Cough*.

*waits to see if you may not see me for a short time

mrplow
    Free Member

The Fox DHX air is pants in my experience. Increased in slurpiness from the day I got it until damping went odd. Had a full Loco service, worked well for a couple of months and then started cavitating again 🙁 I think it is just a bad shock ime.

It now sits in the tool box unloved as I don’t want to pay to service it every 3 months.

Strangely I also have a Fox 2004 triad that has never cavitated and has only required one air canister seal change and a few minor DIY services with float fluid.

wwaswas

What I’d like to post, would get me banned again

What about the letter do you think doesn’t report what’s happened then?

grum
    Free Member

The thing is, if it was a case of mojo refusing to warranty it, or it failing on you repeatedly after being replaced, I’d be on your side. But ‘it went wrong and I read about some other people on the internet who had the same brand go wrong’ really isn’t anything to get so upset over, unless you’re twelve.

Kryton57

wwaswas – Member

What about the letter do you think doesn’t report what’s happened then?

Sorry, I’m running on 8hrs sleep since Tuesday – please clarify?

Kryton57

grum – Member
    The thing is, if it was a case of mojo refusing to warranty it, or it failing on you repeatedly after being replaced, I’d be on your side. But ‘it went wrong and I read about some other people on the internet who had the same brand go wrong’ really isn’t anything to get so upset over, unless you’re twelve.

Grum, feel free to talk to me, but if you keep throwing insults for no reason I’m just going to report you. You’ve targetted me personally twice so thats grounds for it IMO.

legend
    Free Member

The OP is Heather Mills. I claim my £10!

wwaswas

well, someone suggest the wording of a letter, which apart from slightly sarky wording seemed to sum up what you’ve done and said pretty well.

I wondered why you felt the need to write stuff that would get you banned/avoid the swear filter about the person who composed it?

[edit]

[talking to a 2 year old voice]

I think you should go and have a sleep and come back when you’re in a better frame of mind and can talk to the group sensibly.

[/talking to a 2 year old voice]

Kryton57

For gods sake WWW.

Its in warranty, its failed – whats wrong with claiming?

My non swear filter comment is based on the fact the Grum feels he needs to insult me in every post.

LoCo
    Free Member

mr plow, if it’s cavitated after 3 months it’s covered by my warranty, have you contacted me to arrange getting it sent back? I would have rebuilt it for you.
    Obviously on older units that have worn, without replacing major parts the tolerances will mean that they don’t necessarily stay functional for a reasonable length of time.

grum
    Free Member

Grum, feel free to talk to me, but if you keep throwing insults for no reason I’m just going to report you. You’ve targetted me personally twice so thats grounds for it IMO.

Probably should have thrown a few smileys in, meant it in a good natured ribbing kind of way (but I do think you’re being a bit ridiculous, sorry)

wwaswas

Its in warranty, its failed – whats wrong with claiming?

nothing, it’s just the somewhat convoluted approach you’ve taken that’s causing some amusement/incredulity.

Personally if I was trying to get money out of a company I knew looked at stw I wouldn;t use slagging them and their products off in public as a way of getting them to cough up money for a repair they coudl have done themselves for far less money and in the same time. Just my 2p though.

Frankly, if I found another thread like this from you I might be tempted to post a sarcastic remark too so why not hurl the abuse now and get it out the way?

mrplow
    Free Member

Loco – the shock was serviced a year ago and it is living the easy life in a box. Thank you for the reply. 🙂

It is not the Loco service that I don’t trust as it came back lovely. It is the shelf life of the shock in general as the dreaded squelch is evident.

Kryton57

WWW – I didn’t start this thread as a means to get the money back, just a rant. I accepted paying the cash before I sent it, that isn’t an issue (and btw, Mojo have just replied stating their turnaround would have been just as quick / they would have warrantied it – so that’ll teach me a lesson won’t it).

I made a quick decision, becuase I need to get the shock off / sent before I went to Scotland for work this week. Obviously (see above) in my haste I made the wrong decision.

I don’t understand your last para, which feels to me like you’re trolling for an argument TBH.

wwaswas

I don’t understand your last para

grum made a couple of what seemed to me like tongue in cheek remarks that were makign the same point numerous others had and you seem to have taken umbrage.

I made a couple of slighty tongue in cheek remarks pointing out that you’ve not done yourself any favours with how you’ve approached all this with Mojo (which you seem to now acknowledge) or on here (which is still under discussion) and was expectign short shrift from you too.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

All fox shocks/forks work fine in California.

Kryton57

grum made a couple of what seemed to me like tongue in cheek remarks that were makign the same point numerous others had and you seem to have taken umbrage.

I made a couple of slighty tongue in cheek remarks pointing out that you’ve not done yourself any favours with how you’ve approached all this with Mojo (which you seem to now acknowledge) or on here (which is still under discussion) and was expectign short shrift from you too.

Righto. Maybe I’m a bit grumpy today, and didn’t react well to being called
    “childish” or “a 12 yo”.

Doesn’t change the fact there are more than a “couple” of well documented failures of oem fox products, and I’ve been unlucky enough to have had 2 on 2 bikes.

The mojo thing I’ve acknowledged.

wwaswas

I won’t suggest a group hug 🙂

duir
    Free Member

Pretty common for Fox shox to be unreliable and faulty from new. I have sent several Fox rear shox back to MOJO, most recently 2 RP23s. The first time they just serviced it and sent it back but that left the grinding, leaking, squelching problem unsolved. The second time MOJO did actually repair the issues (similar to above problem) but I had lost all faith as this was my 5th FOX to fail. So I sent it off to TF for a PUSH tune and have not had a single issue with it since.

I have severe OCD when it comes to my bikes and will do routine maintenance on the rear shock once a week so you can’t really blame it on that.

All that said, I think the RP23 is still one of the best air shocks (haven’t tried Cane Creek DB Air yet) and particularly after a PUSH tune. It is now faultless in all conditions with a lot of use (3-5 rides per week) and all it needs is an air sleeve service now and then.

LoCo
    Free Member

Mr Plow, no problems 😀 As long as you’re happy that’s fine.
    As always if anyone has any issues feel free to contact me at the workshop. 😀

mrplow
    Free Member

Loco – I have a pushed VanR on with a custom tune to give it more pedal/pump support on my 06 Enduro and it is currently bliss. I don’t think a rework with DHX would achieve anything and waste your time. When I took it off it was at the stage where you stroke it a number of times and the squelch dies down. I know if I ride it more it will probably deteriorate at the same rate as it previously did until the damping gos sour. Thank you for your help. :mrgreen:

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Just for balance like, here’s all the forks and shocks I’ve owned and how they went wrong:

RS Indy C: blew up damper jumping off steps.
    Marz z2 x-fly: slipped glide ring made them sticky. Never failed since fixed.
    Marz mx pro: never went wrong.
    Magura Durin: shipped with dry lowers and siezed, lower legs recalled, air o-ring failed. Now running RS seals!
    Marz mz comp: prev owner had run the air piston leg dry. scored stanchions but fixed.
    RS reba race: moco cart replaced under warranty
    RS reba comp: never went wrong
    DT swiss HVR200: damper piston mis-machined so rebound didn’t close properly. fixed under warranty.

Things go wrong sometimes. You’ll notice though that the list doesn’t contain anything made by Fox!

grum
    Free Member

Pretty common for Fox shox to be unreliable and faulty from new

Not according to the guy who services them for a living.

I have severe OCD when it comes to my bikes and will do routine maintenance on the rear shock once a week

That’s probably the cause of all your problems 😉

MRanger156
    Free Member

I’m glad my post didn’t turn out like this 🙄

Mojo told me that if the squelch, gritty feel is just in the first few mm of travel then it probably just needs riding to get the oil flowing again after been sat around. If its the whole stroke then its cavitated and Mojo will repair under warranty.

variflex
    Free Member

My five month old unit with less than 40 hours riding has gone back to Mojo under warranty. I agree, if you check all the various forums including this you will see quite a number have had issues, especially cavitation from fairly new.

Im starting to wonder whether there was a slightly duff batch manufactuered last year that are still working their way through the system.

Some shocks sit on new bikes in shops for some time before they are bought, so can take time to get used and then fail.

Alternatively, could the really cold weather been a problem, as I was riding several times in -5 to -9 weather. Perhaps the shocks dont like it too cold?

Hopefully Mojo will sort it so it lasts a reasonable time before its next service.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The cold weather was the cause of the only time my old shock stuck down. IIRC the rubbers got stiff when cold and allowed air to migrate to the wrong side of the aircan piston.
    Also I think the rubber compound was changed around 2008 to a more flexible one (when cold).

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Shame on you Fox Racing Shox…. (RANT)’ is closed to new replies.