Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shall I put rigid forks on my Rockhopper ?
  • tobyho
    Free Member

I ride a Rockhopper.. I ride it a lot. But will be getting a new bike in the autumn (it will be a hardtail with suspension) . In the meantime I am thinking about rigid forks for the Rockhopper.

Last weekend I was in Coed and my Rockshox front fork is knackered; I have maybe 2 or 3 inches of travel and no lock out anymore. I did the Dragons Back and Coch (and then Langdegla on the Sunday) – no bother at all. I rode as hard as my mates on their long forked hardtails and fs bikes. And now, for the rest of the year I'll be riding xc locally in Essex etc (where there are no rocks) – I don't think need suspension. Or do I ?

Do any of you chaps ride fully rigid ?

tron
    Free Member

I have done in the past. Stuff that would be boring becomes interesting. Stick a 2.4 on the front if you find it too buzzy.

yunki
    Free Member

rigid is ace..

It's actually easier than with front suspension IMO.. you get instant feedback from the trail so you know exactly when to make adjustments.. and it demands that you try and flow more with the terrain.. and relax and let the bike do it's own thing to a certain extent..

OK.. maybe easier is the wrong word cos you can just blam yer way through stuff like a rampaging idiot rhino with the bouncy fork.. but on rigid I definitely feel more involved with the ride and more a part of the bike..

you have to watch what you're dong and manual and hop a fair bit more and occasionally pull the front back on line or out of trouble but that's part of the enjoyment IMO.
    I love 'em and there's not alot of trails that I wouldn't attempt rigid.. (oooh Errr)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

How about a fork service?

angryratio
    Free Member

Brill idea.. and i know it's a cliche but you'll actually improve your technical abilities..
    The first time you nail something you did'nt think possible on rigids you'll officially be a riding god.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Yip. Do it.

I've been riding rigid for a couple of years now and love it. I'm never that far behind my mates on the rocky stuff.

Rode my wifes full suser last night and hated it.

Keith.

giantjason
    Free Member

go for the rigid forks with a slightly larger front tyre.

my riding has improved massively by riding the same trails on my rigid which makes you thinks about the lines so much more.

Paulio
    Free Member

I did with mine, and singlespeedededed it for good measure. I enjoyed it for some of the reasons stated above and because it was something different from my normal full sus. Get as big a (preferably tubeless) tyre on the front as you can too.

tobyho
    Free Member

elementary question possibly, but why should I go for a tubeless front tyre ?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Just built up a new marin frame and bunged some on one rigid disc forks, I tell you what i wish i had started out on a bike with discs.
    It takes me back and i really enjoyed it!
    It certainly sharpens up your skills if you've been cossetted by a full sus over the years.

Paulio
    Free Member

I was getting pinch flats, presumably as more of the force that would normally go through the suspension was going throught the tyre. Not sure if the logic is correct and it probably speaks more for my lack of finesse than anything. Plus tubless is just better, innit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

They pinch puncture less easily.

Northwind

Rigid can be great… I was going to build up a cheap rigid but decided instead just to swap a set of carbon Exotics onto the Soul from time to time, absolutely lovely. Wouldn't take it to fort william like that though.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

How about a fork service?

Second that.. What have you got to loose? Spend 7-15 quid on oil and go at it.. It's a learning experience and a lot cheaper than some new forks. At the worst you'll come out with some equally knackered forks and be 15 quid down.

EDIT… Unless they say suntour on the side in which case bin them.

DarrenH

+1 above!

gcaster
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with my RS forks about a month ago now.
    The seal head had done something funny and drained all the oil into the lowers, bad times.
    Took them apart, gave them a good scrub up and down, put the back together and voila – just like now.
    If you have the same problem I did just be aware that the oil goes all over the place when you take the lowers off, especially if they're stiff!

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

these people
    are good if you need o-rings too.
    Sorted me out when I needed bits for my Durins when Magura would only sell me a complete piston assembly for £60+

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shall I put rigid forks on my Rockhopper ?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts