• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by LsD.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shafted hollow tech xt crank thread
  • waller
    Free Member

After a bit of help 🙂

Managed to round off the clamping bolt on the left hand crank of my XT cranks…. As things normally do go from bad to worse for me I don’t know why I expected anything different.

The lure if power tools got the better of me and I decided to drill the bolt out. The only slight problem was snapping the drill bit off Inside the crank 🙂

So after I’ve got the offending drill bit out. That’s saying I don’t completely muller the crank in doing so would helicoiling it be an option? Never done a helicoil before. Is it ok to do?

Appreciate any help 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

You said you rounded the bolt not stripped the thread?

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Which model XT?

waller
    Free Member

They are hollow tech 2’s.

I rounded the head off and then decided to drunkenly drill it out. Hence the uber stuck/snapped drill bit.

Sometimes I really do exceed myself…..

colin1265
    Free Member

Can you not wind in one of the reverse thread type things which are the saviour of many a rounded allan key tale? Haven’t got a clue what they are called though.

portydave
    Free Member

An ‘easy out’ is what you need

waller
    Free Member

Wish I’d known something like that existed. I’ve pretty much drilled out the old screw taking the old threads with it and then snapped the bit in for good measure.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Helicoil or a big ugly nut and bolt straight through are the only options then.

I did the same (and I’m sure others have). Standard bolts are made of cheese – I always replace them now with longer stainless bolts.

creamegg
    Free Member

Will helicoil work in such a small diameter hole?

cookeaa

A helicoil can work, its an M6x1.0 normally isn’t it?

the key thing is not to open up the hole tool much now you are attacking it with a drill… much more than about 6.3 – 6.4mm and the helicoil may just strip its way out of the arm, you are essentially drilling and tapping an M7 x 1.0 hole for the helicoil…

Just don’t get too drill happy!

LsD
    Free Member

Buy a new set of cranks.You’ve arsed it by two separate processes already……

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shafted hollow tech xt crank thread’ is closed to new replies.