Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shadow+ Vs. Type 2. – FIGHT!
  • mattbibbings
    Free Member

Ok, easy question, tricky answer.

I’m going 1×10 with a clutchy thingy because I think it will help/believe the hype. I need a reason to choose X9 or XT. Given that there is not much to split them on price or weight it must come down to function right?

So as Harry Hill puts it, there’s only one way to find out!

c_klein87

i’ve gone Type 2, x.0 but only because i’m a ponce. Chose sram as i’ve used their x.0 mech for the last 2 years with no issue (it died last week when then cage broke) The nifty tension release for removing wheels seems a good idea, but as I haven’t built the bike yet i can’t add anymore experience

wrecker
    Free Member

They will both do what they say they will, and do it pretty well. If you have no preference, buy whichever is cheapest. SLX is supposed to be good and offers very good value.

robhenry85
    Free Member

i think it’s just a personal choice of do you prefer sram or shimano? both work well as far as i can tell.

i’m going X9 coz i have XO shifters already 😉

oxym0r0n

Just bought SLX ‘cos it is prettier IMO than the XT. Also, you get shadow slimness and much cheaper!

ir12daveor
    Free Member

I’ve got both.

XTR Shadow Plus on 2×10 set ups. X9 Type 2 on 2×10 set ups and XX1 type 2. The Shadow plus seems to work better than the SRAM type 2 closely followed by the XX1 set up, but that is partially due to the chainrings.

IA

1×10? Go zee for the mech cos you can get it in short cage, less mech to hit off stuff?

Happy with my 1×10 zee. Not as nice a shifter as my 9speed x0 mind, but cheaper than 10sp x0!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve just bought Zee rear and XT shifter as per

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Shimano-Zee-Rear-Mech-tested-2013.html

for my 1X10 set up. I’ll be using XX1 type rings to go with it too.

butterbean
    Free Member

Shimano 10spd without a doubt.

Just ask your collection of LBS’s what they think of SRAM 10spd stuff compared to Shimano.

Although they like the fact that people have to keep coming back to buy new mech’s, because the SRAM ones keep wearing out & Fishers never have any stock of spare bits…

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Good shout on the Zee mech there folks, I hadn’t considered that yet but the short cage makes practical sense as well as being cheaper and looking pretty compact and cool to boot.

I believe we have a winner!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Was always a SRAM user but decided to go with Shimano this time – multi direction up shift lever and more definitive changes than shimano used to be.
    Went with Zee mech and XT shifter and its all good so far, chain comes off more than I was expecting though, even with a top guide.

andytherocketeer

Was looking at Zee for this. Think there are 2 versions though for 11-28 and 11-36 cassettes. No idea if the 11-36 version has enough spare capacity for chain growth on FS bikes. Hope it does, cos otherwise it’s right on the limit.

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Was looking at Zee for this. Think there are 2 versions though for 11-28 and 11-36 cassettes. No idea if the 11-36 version has enough spare capacity for chain growth on FS bikes. Hope it does, cos otherwise it’s right on the limit.

Good point bit I’m hoping as they are marketing this as a free ride/DH mech then that’ has been thought about and engineered in.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shadow+ Vs. Type 2. – FIGHT!’ is closed to new replies.