Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shadow plus mechs (slx/xt differences?)
  • dmw536
    Free Member

Taking the plunge on a clutch mech setup for a new build, why should I spend the extra 10 quid or so on XT over slx or deore? Shimano don’t seem to be able to tell me, can anyone here? Is it notably lighter? Or just branding?
    And where’s cheapest for these at the moment?

bigblackshed

I was going to say about 30 quid and and few grams. If its only £10 then go for the XT. Just because.

Personally I find the shifter is the place to spend a bit more for the precision of the shift and build quality. Plus it’s less likely to get smashed on a rock.

oxym0r0n

Slx has a few more steel parts (back plate and cable clamp arm) and jockey wheels not as well sealed but prettier IMHO

JoeG
    Free Member

Shimano’s tech doc spells out exactly which parts are the same, and which are interchangeable.

dmw536
    Free Member

Any opinions on the zee stuff? A friends just pointed out that you can still get the wide range (11 – 36) with a short cage one, less likely to get smashed on a rock I guess?

Im running 1×10

timmys

Any opinions on the zee stuff? A friends just pointed out that you can still get the wide range (11 – 36) with a short cage one, less likely to get smashed on a rock I guess?

I’ve got a Zee on my 1×10 bike and XT on my 2×10. Honestly the Zee looks a lot nicer – for example the clutch switch is metal versus plastic (!?!) on the XT. There’s been a few reports of Zee’s failing on here, but seemed to be early models and were replaced by Madison I believe.

dmw536
    Free Member

Yeh think I’m gunna go for a Zee.. only £42 on chain reaction at the moment!

bigblackshed

The Zee comes in two different capacities. 28t or 36t. Just double check before ordering.

My Zee has been faultless. Amazing bit of kit.

Mackem

The Zee shifter is nice too. Very low-profile and clicky.

mcnultycop

Zee mechs on both my bikes. They are great bits of kit.

dmw536
    Free Member

wonderful! Will order one soon then! Does the zee shifter have i spec compatible? This is half the reason Im changing as Ive found the wonders of shimano brakes (XTs) recently so want to give the drivetrain stuff a chance now!
    edit: I assume the zee derailleur works with any shimano rapid-fire shifters?

timmys

edit: I assume the zee derailleur works with any shimano rapid-fire shifters?

Yep, any 10 speed shimano shifter. I use mine with an XT shifter (i-spec)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shadow plus mechs (slx/xt differences?)’ is closed to new replies.