Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • shadow or 'normal' 9spd mech
  • Pook

what’s the difference? Apart from £2?

jekkyl

the normal one was made by Peter Pan?

chip
    Free Member

The shadow has a lower profile, I think.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I run one of each (XT) and I prefer the Shadow one. Its lower profile, so less likely to catch on stuff (never really had this issue), the cable routing is a bit better than normal ones. The shifting is a little more positive (that could be the placebo effect though) I think. I the spring tension in mech seems a little stronger too.

honourablegeorge

Mate swapped to a shimano shadow, having trashed his SRAM mech first day out on his new bike. It’s really noticeable how much the shimano shadow is tucked in under the chainstay. Worth two quid, easily.

plyphon
    Free Member

200p

munrobiker
    Free Member

The shadow has a lower profile side to side, but the conventional one is stronger and they have shorter cages , which are what I find gets knocked most of the time not the body, so are less likely to get ripped off. I would save the money and go conventional.

devash
    Free Member

In my experience the Shadow ones bend easier and don’t last quite as long, but are great for riding rocky areas or anywhere where they can catch on stuff.

Having said that I’ve got a friend who’s managed to trash two already on his Orange Five.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘shadow or 'normal' 9spd mech’ is closed to new replies.