Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Shadow +, no chain device = fail……
  • JPcapel
    Free Member

Having recently gone back to a 2×10 set up, having run 1×10 (and 1×9) for a few years.
    I wondered would the new shimano shadow plus mech with the clutch system, negate the need for a chain device?
    I usually use an e13 XCX top guide which has worked fine, despite riding reasonably quickly and jumping lots.

So Sunday night off I go with 1×10 and no chain device. Works ok until you hit repeated bumps, fast and then drops the chain onto the BB.

Only posting in case anyone else is considering this. I found a past post on STW from a Ibis HD user saying it had worked for him, can only assume he rode smooth trails or slowly, as most certainly does not work.

Also had inspiration to try this after looking at the bikes from the weekends racing, lots using the SRAM 1×11 set up minus chain device. Am aware SRAM are using larger teeth on their front chainring, but still can’t see this working without a chain device.

Hope of interest. Seems clutch is only worth using if you like a quieter drivechain. Am aware you can alter tension of clutch, however shifting already feels stiffer (only downside of clutch system) so loathed to increase further.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

You had it turned on?

chiefgrooveguru

I’m not surprised. But is your chain correctly shortened?

honourablegeorge

Lots of folk using 1×11? Already?

stumpy01

Mate of mine has done this on his c456 (1×10 with no chain guide and xtr clutch rear mech). He’s not had the chain come off yet.

Doesn’t the sram 1×11 use a specially profied chain/chainring to stop the chain dropping off?

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Worked fine for my on my Zesty, never dropped it in the time I used it including DHy stuff.

So good in fact, I’m after another.

geetee1972
    Free Member

His chain isn’t the only thing to ‘come off’ easily 😯

I think the key difference between those for whom this set up works and those for whom it doesn’t, is not set up, it’s speed.

njee20
    Free Member

Also had inspiration to try this after looking at the bikes from the weekends racing, lots using the SRAM 1×11 set up minus chain device. Am aware SRAM are using larger teeth on their front chainring, but still can’t see this working without a chain device.

As you elude to, XX1 is designed specifically to negate the need for a chain device, and I’m sure it will do so extremely well.

smiff
    Free Member

obviously the mech only tensions at bottom, so it can only stop backpedalling chaindrops, not going forwards, can it?
    well i’ve ordered a + , mainly to stop chain slap, not expecting to not need a top guide.. only a tenner more than a normal shadow mech.

Gotama
    Free Member

Interesting. I did wonder how effective it was after seeing the vid Dirt put up on their website a while ago where the chain still slapped about a fair bit. I’m presuming that this is round the surrey hills based on location in your profile? Apart from a couple of trails i can think of its not that rough either which is not a great sign. And there was i thinking i could do the same as you and just run a top guide. 😕

Edit – did you have the top guide on?

chiefgrooveguru

I presume one thing that makes a bike more likely to drop its chain is if the suspension action under compression shortens the chain path on top or if the action under extension shortens the chain path below, thus slackening off exactly the wrong part of the chain at exactly the wrong time.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Edit – did you have the top guide on?

He’s a bit slow (on and off the bike) so I will answer for him.

No he didn’t.

I did tell him it wouldn’t work, but no, he refused to listen, had to do it as he wanted and learn the hard way. I wouldn’t mind but he totally nerffed up our flying start on Northern Monkey as a result and almost gave himself a perforated hernia in the process.

messiah
    Free Member

Interesting to hear feedback on these things… a big thank you from me for sharing this 😀

fbk
    Free Member

From my recent experience in the Alps, I would say it definitely quietens things down a lot (to the point where other more subtle noises start irritating you – cable chatter etc 🙂 ) and it has some effect on chain stability but no, it certainly doesn’t stop the chain coming off completely.

That’s with an e13 dual guide and 2×10 too.

Gotama
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mind but he totally nerffed up our flying start on Northern Monkey as a result and almost gave himself a perforated hernia in the process.

😀

Reminds me of when a mate talked up his impending attack of a trail before putting in three pedal strokes, snapping his chain, hit a tree and went over the bars. Pretty much the funniest thing i’ve ever seen once we’d established he was ok. Before that it was just muffled laughter. 😀

haribojangles
    Free Member

I have an xtr shadow plus and is awesome. Would never go back to conventional mech. A lot quieter. Even through rocky or rooty sections not a peep of chain slap. I have a bionicon chain guide up front and the two together make a super smooth and quiet 2×10 drivetrain

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

was thinking about the 1×11 stuff the other day after watching the MTB olympic race but forgot to post about it!

so how does the 1×11 manage to stay on with no front top guide then?

im using a 1×10 with similar setup, but have a xcx e13 top guide only (which works a treat) and ive no issue with the 55grams it weighs (it was 90quid though)…

but they must have nailed the setup spot on to guarentee it not dropping off and risk losing the chain in a race like that with those rocky obstacles….so it cleary works perfectly without a top guide but whats the crack then?

Simon

Watch the video it might make things clearer, [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI1qz4OB5Rs&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

so how does the 1×11 manage to stay on with no front top guide then?

I don’t think it does, from seeing them in use at the Mega, they had either full or top guides still.

Maybe on a XC course you can get away with it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Ahhh cheers, not seen that video, ill save it for when i have sound later! looks interesting though!

those cassettes look bloody massive mind 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Shadow +, no chain device = fail……’ is closed to new replies.