Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • Sexist kids' TV
  • WillH

gowerboy – Member
    My boss introduced me to Scottish Peppa Pig. If you haven’t seen it Google Scottish Peppa pig pancakes……

Edit…. Not while the kids are watching.

Teesside Tin Tin is also worth checking out. Old, but a classic.

molgrips
    Free Member

Works fine with about 4Mbps min

Works in HD at 3.3Mbps in our house.

stumpy01

mrmonkfinger – Member

Pretty much everything is recorded, but it still means a lot of remote jockeying.

Must look into Netflix when we get decent internet

Yeah, we have only just swapped to fibre broadband – 30Mb.
    Prior to that, we were lucky to get 3Mb and as long as nothing else was using the data, Netflix was fine.
    As soon as someone starting looking on their tablet or something – then forget it.

My daughter is currently Bing mad. Which, is annoying because we hate the whiny little bugger.
    The stories seem to revolve around him getting stroppy & breaking stuff, or stealing stuff or not listening to other people and then hurting himself. Then he gets told “it’s OK”, “it doesn’t matter” etc.
    And they don’t correct his poor use of English. Bleurgh.

She also likes In The Night Garden, Teletubbies & most of the ‘Justin/Mr Tumble’ stuff.

She was a massive fan of Hey Duggee (my favourite), Jet Setters & Octonauts, but just went off them all overnight & has never got back into them.
    Oh – there’s also a bit of Baby Jake every now & again.

GrahamS

Baby Jake perplexes me.

You get this long intro about how there are ten alphabetically-named children living in a windmill, but then the rest of the show only features the youngest, Jake, whilst being narrated by the second youngest, Issac.

Were they planning to do spin-offs with the other children or something?

P-Jay
    Free Member

My daughter is currently Bing mad. Which, is annoying because we hate the whiny little bugger.
    The stories seem to revolve around him getting stroppy & breaking stuff, or stealing stuff or not listening to other people and then hurting himself. Then he gets told “it’s OK”, “it doesn’t matter” etc.
    And they don’t correct his poor use of English. Bleurgh.

Bitching about kids TV on the Internet, it’s a Bing thing. 😉

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

We barely scrape 1Mb right now… fibre on the horizon but not there yet.

You get this long intro about how there are ten alphabetically-named children living in a windmill,

…which they made precisely once and repeated every episode thus halving the production cost.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Just built up this cove 26er for my nephew from some new bits and some bits from the garage.

Note the gender neutral color so I am not enforcing any gender roles on him :

funkmasterp

What wheel size for gender neutral riding?

hot_fiat

Subtle debadging there. Otherwise it may have been inappropriate.

MtbRoutes

If you have Netflix check out Peg + Cat. Bloomin’ great.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Subtle debadging there. Otherwise it may have been inappropriate.

the guy I bought it from had just had it resprayed – a bit overzealously though as I had to grind the excess paint from the dropouts – but it looks good.

prawny

If you have Netflix check out Peg + Cat. Bloomin’ great

Yes!

Peg + Cat is genius, and a perfect example of stealth education.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m TOTALLY FREAKING OUT

Favourite catch phrase in our house.

stumpy01

P-Jay – Member

Bitching about kids TV on the Internet, it’s a Bing thing

Genius!! 😆

Peg + Cat – will investigate!!

D0NK

I sometimes wonder why my boys stopped enjoying watching (and listening to the soundtrack of) Frozen. They used to love it.

same here, as mrmonkfinger said it could just be bored of that phase and now onto something new, but in the last 12months both our 6&8yo boys have been getting very “that’s girls stuff this is boys stuff” they aren’t getting it from us. So one or all of school, friends, various media.

GrahamS

Well worth watching that ”No More Boys and Girls” show D0NK.

Sure as discussed on the thread here it was a little sensationalised pop-sciencey – but it did bring up some very important points and I recognised a lot of the behaviours that they covered.

My own 7 year old has told me she thinks that boys are better than girls because they can do more, and that she is “weird” because she likes playing football. 😕 Absolutely not something she got from home!

D0NK

My own 7 year old has told me she thinks that boys are better than girls because they can do more, and that she is “weird” because she likes playing football.

Aw no, that is well ****ed up. How do you start to undo that?

molgrips
    Free Member

How do you start to undo that?

You start thinking about it, and then you start noticing it in all the off-hand comments that people come out with, all the marketing of toys and TV shows. It’s the boys who do all the tough action stuff and when it’s not, it’s the TOKEN girl who’s the odd-one out.

Watch Paw Patrol and the rest of the shite, then watch The Force Awakens. The girls in that aren’t token patronising caricatures in the “girls can be tough, honest, but they are the exception” style that we’ve seen since the 80s. They are normal characters alongside all the others – they are strong and weak at times, they struggle, they win, they lose, they get frightened or upset just like everyone else does. And they aren’t sexed up either, which is the other major problem with media images.

GrahamS

It’s really tricky and the football thing shows what you are up against.

I can say “Who says football is a boy thing? Look here are videos of professional women footballers.”

But then there are awkward questions to divert: “no there isn’t much of a crowd there”, “no they are not very famous”, “no they don’t get on the telly much”, “no they aren’t paid as well as the men” 🙁

northernmatt

We let our boy watch anything he wants. He used to watch My Little Pony religiously but has gone off it a bit, also had a Shezow phase, then Paw Patrol (eurgh!), and all the usual others. We’ve also let him wear My Little Pony t-shirts and he had an Elsa dress.

Recently though he has started saying that women/girls can’t do certain things. Prime example was watching the DH Worlds, we caught the tail end of the womens finals and he was going on about look at him do this why is he doing that and seemed shocked when we told him it was women. He said “I didn’t think ladies could do things like that”.

No idea where that came from but he has said the same a few times since for other things. Trying to get to the bottom of where he has learnt it from but to no avail as yet.

GrahamS

YouTube can be useful for disrupting some of the preconceptions, as its a lot easier for female presenters to break through there. I’m quite happy to let my girls watch “Survival Lilly” building a bivy in the woods, or “April Wilkerson” woodworking, or “Laura Kampf” welding or Lady Ada doing electronics.

And of course there are videos like:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jscp2K1yhw[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpddITk3bK8[/video]

retro83
    Free Member

fisha – Member

little fisha loves Go Jetters. Whats not to like … a disco unicorn who struts into the group singing “tonights the night .. uh huh …”

Go Jetters is **** ace. I loved their Hammer Time cover (‘Can’t Glitch This’) and ‘Last night a GJ saved my life’ 🙂

Though why is there only one girl out of 4 GJs?

molgrips
    Free Member

But then there are awkward questions to divert: “no there isn’t much of a crowd there”, “no they are not very famous”, “no they don’t get on the telly much”, “no they aren’t paid as well as the men”

Not awkward questions at all. The same answer for all of those – people don’t take women’s sport seriously.

As for those vids – why is there a ‘girls edition’ ? Why aren’t the vids just people?

GrahamS

Not awkward questions at all. The same answer for all of those – people don’t take women’s sport seriously.

I’m not sure that “Of course you can play football. But people won’t take you seriously.” is the answer I was looking for 😀

As for those vids – why is there a ‘girls edition’ ? Why aren’t the vids just people?

There are. The channel is literally called People Are Awesome.

But having an all-female edit is kinda useful when trying to subtly teach my girls that women can do these things too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Actually I disagree. It reinforces the idea that sporty/active/cool girls are the exception. As if to say ‘these people are aweseome and they’re even girls!’. The girls should be in the main videos alongside the boys. If they are then good.

I’m not sure that “Of course you can play football. But people won’t take you seriously.” is the answer I was looking for

It’s the truth though. My kids are aware of sexism so they know how to push back when someone says they can’t like Star Wars cos it’s for boys, and not think that they are in the wrong.

GrahamS

It reinforces the idea that sporty/active/cool girls are the exception

But as you say “It’s the truth though” 🙁

The girls should be in the main videos alongside the boys. If they are then good.

They are. I used the above girls-only videos to counter some of the “boys can do more than girls” talk, but usually we’d just watch the mixed videos.

My kids are aware of sexism so they know how to push back

Yeah it’s a tricky thing. My eldest greatly enjoyed reading ”Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls”, but a LOT of the biographies in there are about women overcoming sexism, prejudices and societal limits on their gender, which is both empowering and also kind of disheartening.

Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Sexist kids' TV’ is closed to new replies.