Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Sexist kids' TV
  • poah
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Paw Patrol.

paw patrol is awesome, my daughter loves it.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Daughter? Gender tyrant.

poah
    Free Member

Daughter? Gender tyrant.

middle son loves it too

dannybgoode

Paw Patrol rocks. Babybgoode is a big fan (of Marshall in particular).

Went to see the live show as well. He thought it was brilliant. I thought it was short and expensive.

fisha
    Free Member

Paw patrol is dire. Cant stand it. Equally cant stand Rusty Rivets. “Lets combine it and design it” …. ahhh no. Design then combine!!! aarrgh!

little fisha loves Go Jetters. Whats not to like … a disco unicorn who struts into the group singing “tonights the night .. uh huh …”

deadkenny
    Free Member

Back in my day we had Bod where a bald headed boy could wear a dress. Would fit right into todays trends.

Drac

Bod wore trousers and a shirt but he didn’t tuck it in.

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

jimjam – Member

molgrips – Member
    Seven puppies who form a sort of emergency service. One girl, who wears pink and all her stuff is pink. They are managed by a boy, and the boy puppies have all rufty tufty machines that transform into tough off road type vehicles, hers is a pink camper van. The girl human runs a beauty salon, and in the episode we just watched needs a puppy to make beautiful for the dog show.

FFS.

Absolutely disgusting. I’m so triggered right now. The only saving grace is that it comes from 2013 – a time when people believed in such outlandish myths as biological sex and gender. Luckily we now know that all biological sex is a social construction and despite overwhelming “scientific” propaganda from the patriarchy we know that men can be women and women can be men if we only brainwash them as such.

For balance I only let my children watch Sheezow on loop. A cartoon programe about a boy who’s superhero alternate identity is a girl/his own cross dressing self. You should check it out and force watch it with your children.

With luck and perseverance we can overcome this deeply offensive sexism and redress the gender balance to the point where equal numbers of women can die in dangerous first responder and construction jobs as their male counterparts.[/quote]

Just feel this showstopper of a post isn’t getting the attention it deserves.

jimjam – spot on Sir.
    (Yeah, damn right I just assumed your gender!)

rossburton
    Free Member

To anyone who “likes” Peppa Pig, you might want to encourage the kids to watch Ben and Holly if they’re not already. Lots of the same people involved, same nods to the adults.

Of course now mine are 6 and 8 so I get to have quality cuddle time with The Deep, which is actually quite good. 🙂

chestrockwell

My lad only has a passing interest in Paw Patrol which pleases my wife as she hates it. Thomas and Chuggington are where it’s at round here, oh and Peppa.

He’s gone off Abney and Teal which is a shame as I think it’s ace! Good job I can force my 10 month old daughter to watch it soon. She’s currently all about the night garden and baby tv. Fast frank is on the way and all that.

My lad plays with tractors and trains in his blue room while my daughter is often found in pink. Have I done wrong?

poah
    Free Member

Sophie also likes Bing. I like the episode where pando puts sand in bing’s hole.

brakes
    Free Member

my son (5) says Bing is an idiot.

Dinotrux is where it’s at (on Netflix) – lots of moral tales, themes of teamwork and good against evil interspersed with violent fighting. awesome.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just to be clear, I am perfectly happy with biological genders. I’m not happy however with society pushing stereotypes onto my kids.

Paw patrol seems to do this.

Pook

Just to be clear, I am perfectly happy with biological genders. I’m not happy however with society pushing stereotypes onto my kids.

That, and it’s also just **** shite.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I am perfectly happy with biological genders

Nazi.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Nazi.

😆

poah
    Free Member

You do realise that most people don’t pay attention to it. Wee girls like pink heck my boys liked pink too. Sophie plays with dolls just like my boys did too and she also likes to pick up the boys nerf guns and shoot you. It’s only an issue when adults make it one.

twistedpencil

What’s most shocking about paw patrol is have you heard what male dogs call their women 😉 ? This needs to be addressed in an episode, maybe dealing with the misogyny in gangster rap as well…

MrPottatoHead

Blaze and the Monster Machines is the best one, despite the unfortunate drug reference.

And Ben & Holly is way better than Peppa Pig, despite being basically the same show.

yoandy
    Free Member

We were given the complete box set of Thomas the Tank Engine stories –

The Recurring themes of racism and “religious” obedience started to wear a bit thin after 1/3 of the way through-

– Work hard and do not question authority and you will be rewarded.

All trucks are intrinsically “Bad” and should be treated as an under class.

Also some of the engines are just dicks!

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

On the other hand Maddie on ‘Do you know?

That was my first thought after misreading the topic title 😳

It’s on now, just need to wake my daughter up so I’ve got an excuse to watch it 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

You do realise that most people don’t pay attention to it.

They don’t pay attention to it, but it definitely has an effect. little girls start to identify with what they see around them. They see the boys as being the action based characters and the girls as the prettiness based ones. It’s everywhere in society. My daugheter was made to feel wrong and weird by her peers for liking Star Wars FFS, because they’d picked up the idea that Star Wars is for boys. Despite it being quite feminist.

Kids aren’t rational, ideas stick in their heads and stay there. Star Wars for boys probably came from someone’s parent – not as a direct statement but some other action. Like maybe on the boy’s birthday he gets star wars paper plates, but on his sister’s she gets princess plates without being asked.

We’ve generally stopped directly telling kids how to act based on gender by 2017, but the subliminal stuff is still going strong in many places.

My youngest loves pink. She has chosen to identify with puppies and teddies and all that crap. However my eldest does not, and we’ve had to work hard to persuade her that she’s not a freak because of it. Because growing up thinking you’re a weirdo or an outsider is not necessarily that great.

funkmasterp

The Recurring themes of racism and “religious” obedience started to wear a bit thin after 1/3 of the way through-

– Work hard and do not question authority and you will be rewarded.

-All trucks are intrinsically “Bad” and should be treated as an under class.

Also some of the engines are just dicks!

I hate it too. Thankfully Funk Jr has shown no interest. I remember an episode where they bury an engine alive, in a tunnel, just for wanting to do a different job. WTF kind of message is that sending.

Also plus one for Maddie from Do You Know. She is lovely 😳

maccruiskeen

The final episode even has one of the androids trying to choose what gender it should be, before settling on non-binary.

Spolier alert!

jam-bo

I misread the title as sexiest kids tv….

I remember an episode where they bury an engine alive, in a tunnel, just for wanting to do a different job

That’s in the first book in think, Henry. Didn’t want to work in the rain because he might spoil his paint and refused to come out of the tunnel. Fat controller ordered him to be bricked in for eternity

or until they needed him to do some work a couple of weeks later…

TheDTs
    Free Member

Sarah & Duck is still popular in our house. I’m more worried that our two still get scared by CBeebies at 6 and nearly 8!

gowerboy

My boss introduced me to Scottish Peppa Pig. If you haven’t seen it Google Scottish Peppa pig pancakes……

Edit…. Not while the kids are watching.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Fat controller

Sizeist.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Paw patrol is utter goshawfulness.

Incompetent Thomas is possibly worse.

Eldest son currently likes Sofia the First. Ye gods. Try that for some stereotypes. And adverts. Lots of them. Endless adverts. Constantly. The Disney channels, I are not so very impressed.

OTOH he also still likes Blaze, Octonauts, Go (yay disco!) Jetters, Duggee, Ben Holly, Peppa & some other stuff that escapes me now, but youngest also happily watches.

We find ourselves mainly coming back to mostly CBeebies output.

P-Jay
    Free Member

We had a sudden, yet complete shift in TV at the weekend, Paw Patrol – gone, Puss in Boots – gone. Dora the **** Explorer completely and utterly IN, made much much worse by the fact we were both house bound with a cold.

I thought Netflix was broken at one, it’s so repetitive.

GrahamS

Endless adverts. Constantly. The Disney channels, I are not so very impressed.

Yeah the Disney channels are appalling for adverts – very American-style, feels like more adverts than content sometimes.

My kids like Tiny Pop and Pop, which are also advert heavy but not nearly as bad. And have the advantage that they show My Little Pony which is awesome 😀

Amazon is always a good option to get away from adverts too.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

There’s some interesting ideas in this thread. I sometimes wonder why my boys stopped enjoying watching (and listening to the soundtrack of) Frozen. They used to love it. I can’t see how Mrs Stilltortoise and I influenced them into not liking it (we quite enjoy it!), but at some stage they decided it was “not cool”. I’d put money on that coming from their peers at school. Is that a boy/girl thing or is it simply that “Frozen is for kids”.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Pretty much everything is recorded, but it still means a lot of remote jockeying.

Must look into Netflix when we get decent internet (so probably never for us, being in the sticks).

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Is that a boy/girl thing or is it simply that “Frozen is for kids”.

Dunno. Ours watch stuff constantly for a couple of months then the entire lot gets changed for a new lot. A while back it was scooby doo, scooby doo and more scooby doo, right now we haven’t had an episode for months. Kids get bored of stuff, etc.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Must look into Netflix when we get decent internet (so probably never for us, being in the sticks)

Works fine with about 4Mbps min, sometimes it lags a bit at the start, better if you limit it to SD.

Course, thats a long as you don’t have a 11 year old who’ll spend 8 hours shouting at non-playing YT vid rather than admit it won’t work and a FB addicted Wife. Then ideally you’ll want a gigabyte uncontested lease line just so you can put a bit of Peppa on whilst you make lunch for everyone 🙄

paule
    Free Member

Ours are into miraculous: ladybug and cat noir, which is a bit strange but not too stereotypical for the roles of boys & girls

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Kids get bored of stuff

You could be right. Interestingly, our boys will sit quite captivated by The Adventures of Abney & Teal if it comes on, even if they don’t actively go looking to watch it. There’s something pleasantly calming about it.

prawny

I ffing love Abney and Teal. My kids have outgrown Cbeebies and watch Disney XD and Cartoon Network now, which are both pretty good.

I do miss Ben and Holly though too, especially at Christmas, the specials are great.

GrahamS

Ours are into miraculous: ladybug and cat noir, which is a bit strange but not too stereotypical for the roles of boys & girls

Yeah my girls like that too. It’s kinda good in that it portrays a strong female lead superhero who is as useful and effective as her male counterpart. Though sadly when they are in civilian mode it’s back to the typical “Oh I like that boy but I’m too shy. Tee hee” bollocks.

“Totally Spies” is similar – girl hero spies saving the world, but lots of “Oh boys.. *swoon*” sub-plots. 🙄

trailwagger
    Free Member

All you parents out there, wait till they get a little older….. you will love Sanjay and Craig! Best cartoon ever.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Sexist kids' TV’ is closed to new replies.