Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Sewingtrackworld help – sourcing lycra fabric
  • mrsmouse
    Free Member

I’m trying to make some tubes to hold in an insulin pump on his leg for a friend and am having difficulty finding lycra fabric by the metre of the sort that would be used to make bike shorts. The first one I made for him I used an old pair of my shorts to get the piece I needed, but now I want to make a set for him from fabric cut from a roll.

I’ve bought a few samples from Tia Knight fabrics and had ordered some ‘heavy lycra’ off ebay but this hasn’t turned up. Not convinced that any of the samples I’ve tried are right as they have too much stretch

Does anyone know what the fabric is called (other than lycra?) – I need some that has enough stretch to accommodate the pump but not so much that it will lose its shape.

Any ideas where I can get this stuff from?

fionap

Something like this – 190gsm? Or is that no thicker/heavier than the samples you’ve already had?
    http://ukfabricsonline.com/sports-fabric/red-sportswear-nylon-lycra-fabric

nickjb
    Free Member

I usually get it from eBay but the quality and type is pretty variable. Another option is stretch pvc which is tougher and stiffer but not breathable so that might be an issue. What about thin neoprene? Might be easier to go to a good local fabric shop and get your hands on it. Final idea, what about using lycra for the bulk of it then some stiffer fabric or extra stitches where you need it to hold shape.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Esme
    Free Member

You probably need swimwear fabric, with 20% lycra (aka spandex or elastane), rather than sportswear/dancewear fabric with lower amounts of lycra.

mrsmouse
    Free Member

Good ideas all, thanks very much. I’ll start with ordering a sample of the stuff Fiona found then if that isn’t right will try the other suggestions.

Thanks!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Perhaps talk to someone like physiotherapystore.com

slackalice
    Free Member

Point North

Might be able to help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sewingtrackworld help – sourcing lycra fabric’ is closed to new replies.