Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • several questions suspension related. Pike and scott equalizer 2
  • Rscott
    Free Member

I have pike 426 2007, they have started leaking oil from the compression adjuster valve. any ideas which seal would stop this.

Secondly a freind ha a scot genius, it has an equalize 2 shock, how ever when set up by him and the shop the shock sits around an inch through its stroke., any ideas what could be wrong or how to set it up and avoid this. Scott say its normal but i cant see that being right

dirtydog
    Free Member

The shock should sit in it’s travel, it’s known as sag, it’s usual to set it between 20% and 30% of the shocks stroke.

Just buy a motion control service kit for the Pike, if one O-ring has gone then the others will probably need changing too, Loco Tuning or Tftuned will sell you a kit, they’re about 20 quid.

You’ll also need 5wt oil for the damper and 15 wt oil for the lowers, worth doing IMO, the pikes a decent fork and it’s a relatively easy job.

Rscott
    Free Member

Cheers i have serviced them recently chaniging all the seals but the one inside the motion control.

The scott doesn;t just sit in its travel it wont even pull futher out, that’s with the bike unweighted.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In that case with the shock I’d probably throw it away try and get it serviced.

But call a few people first, and see if they can suggest a replacement for the bike – it might be worth changing rather than servicing.

dirtydog
    Free Member

My mate has a Genius MC10 and those shocks are a pain to set up. Is he able to cycle through the presets via the handlebar lever, if not it could be something to do with the cable tension/setup?

With regards to the Pike the only thing that I can think of is the big O-ring that sits under the top cap. I don’t remember there being any replacement O-rings for the compression knob itself, it could be that you have to replace the knob/topcap, are you sure it’s not coming from under the topcap?

BearBack
    Free Member

shock sits around an inch through its stroke

are you setting this up based on the weight chart kindly provided by Scott as either a frame sticker or on the shock body?

Are you using a high pressure shock pump?

Because they are high pressure and relatively small volume, its easy to release a little air volume and consequently lots of pressure when disconnecting the pump. You can see the effect of this when locking off the supplied air pump then disconnecting the hose, reconnecting and opening the pressure lock.

Your shock should have a sag guide on it (equalizer 2 V2).. otherwise the manual has a handy sag guide on the spine (equalizer 2 V1).

Page 20/21

Rscott
    Free Member

Using the high presure pump scott provided according to the shock settings on the body, the scott concept store set it up too and it was the same then tried to fob him off saying it was ment to be like this.

I’ve told him to contact tf and loco.

as for the pikes a root through a seal box found a replacment and a helpfulllink on line, http://www.basquemtb.com/repair-leaking-pike-motion-control/ sorted it.

g-unit
    Free Member

Today I have been looking at an equalizer 3 shock with this same problem. Doing some online research seems to indicate oil has passed into the -ve air chamber. It seems this will happen to all these shocks given enough time and use. It explains to me why my (-) air was always far too low (compared to recommended level) to get a working system.

There are several links showing how to do the service yourself, although the PP is in Spanish.
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19/dt-equalizer-3-service-scott-genius-genius-lt-frames-264217/
    http://forums.mtbr.com/scott-sports/equalizer-2-maintenance-830190.html

g-unit
    Free Member

Sorry, double post

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of sets of old Pikes and one set of Boxxers, all leaked from that point. It’s something common to that generation of Motion Control. One option is to get over it, and just top them up if they ever stop working. The amount of oil they lose is minuscule and almost irrelevant. If the lockout stops working, consider topping up the damping oil.

There is a small O-ring under the compression adjuster that you can replace if you want to. It’s not part of the standard seal kits but I got a kit from eBay that included the appropriate thing.

BearBack
    Free Member

If the shock is sagged into its stroke without a rider sat on top.. its broken. When unweighted, there should be no shaft protruding from the bottom – ohh eer mrs

If its sagged too much with him sat on top.. add more air.

I ran mine at one or two rider weights above my weight to get it where I wanted.

strike
    Free Member

The Equalizer 2 shock needs to go to TFT for rebuild. They’re now fitting up-rated seals (compared to what DT originally fitted).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘several questions suspension related. Pike and scott equalizer 2’ is closed to new replies.