Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • SETUP HELP: what's wrong with my set-up/ what bars do I need?
  • brakes
    Free Member

my Stumpjumper has Easton EA50 bars – 685mm wide, low rise with 9 degree back-sweep, stem is a 90mm, grips are thinnish.
    when going along the flat and climbing I feel inclined to change grip position and put my thumbs on top of the bars whilst maintaining an otherwise normal hand grip.
    I think part of this is that the top tube is a bit short for optimum climbing so I’m leaning forward and pushing my elbows out – putting my thumbs on top of the bar allows me to bring my elbows in.
    is there are particular bar rise/ sweep that will allow me to keep my thumbs under the bars?
    I can’t help but thinking bar-ends would be a good idea! 😕

theraggyone
    Free Member

I used to get lots of problems with my hands going numb and having to shift position on the bars. when I switched to a shorter 50mm stem and wider 750mm bars with a high rise this all went away:)

neilwheel
    Free Member

Sounds like first option would be to rotate your bars forward.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

bar ends are always a good idea 😀

and sometimes so are longer stems – prob even beneficial on a xc bike compared to super short ones

brakes
    Free Member

what would that do?

Carax
    Free Member

Bar ends would be the answer, but unfortunately the style police would make your life hell.

brakes
    Free Member

bar ends are ok with flattish bars aren’t they?

neilwheel
    Free Member

brakes –
    what would that do?

Or backwards maybe.

It is just another position adjustment, same with saddle angle and setback.

It is not possible for 9 Degree back sweep flat bar to fit everyone, this is just the general best fit for the average person.

Rotating the bars gives you adjust to suit your hand position relative to shoulder width, arm length, frame and stem size.

Once you have a rise and up sweep involved too, it further increases the eccentricity of the rotation, which gives an even larger range of positions.

Personally I like to have my bars turned more forward than most people, up to you.

brakes
    Free Member

thanks – I’ll give that a whirl.
    it seems counter-intuitive but when I think about it, it seems that more sweep would be better.

nedrapier

I’ve got some 20 degree sweep bars you could have a go on if you like?

I also feel inclined to put my thumbs on top of the bars when climbing – same as you, to get elbows down, weight down and over the front. change is as good as rest sort of thing.

Never occured to me to be a problem though? Just put them back under if I need a bit more control again.

antennae
    Free Member

Bar ends are no longer popular for good practical reasons, not just fashion. It’s nice to have an extra hand position on long climbs, but your bike handles much better everywhere else without them!

My Stumpy also felt a bit short in the top tube for climbing with the stock bars. Popped some wider bars on and no longer have any such problems. Try some 740mm+ and see if it helps.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

what would that do?

Think of it as adjusting the sweep, moving them forward will give you less back sweep and more up sweep, moving them back gives you more back and less up.
    I’ve got Easton bars on one bike and Race Face on another and in both cases I like them rotated just a little forward so that the main rise of the bar either side of the stem is just a little forward of vertical. This gives me a bit less back and a bit more up, which I like as it encourages me to keep my elbows up and out. Riding with my elbows in and dropped tend to make me too fixed on the bike and inhibits moving around to get the bike leant into corners.

trail_rat
    Free Member

” but your bike handles much better everywhere else without them!”

what magazine gave you that nugget of falseness?

brakes
    Free Member

Never occurred to me to be a problem though? Just put them back under if I need a bit more control again.

it gives me blisters on my thumbs where there’s a flange on my grips, and on some steep long climbs I need my opposable thumbs to hang on with.

Popped some wider bars on and no longer have any such problems. Try some 740mm+ and see if it helps.

I’ve been reluctant to go for wider bars on this bike but do have some that are about 710mm so could try them to see if it makes a difference. I can see that I’ll just end up climbing with my hands inboard of the brakes though…

nedrapier

You could put little divots underneath your bars to make room for your thumbs? Hacksaw, or just knock it in with a ball-peen hammer if it’s ally.

You could certainly cut teh flange off the top of the grip. not doing anything there anyway (unless it’s locking).

brakes
    Free Member

whilst I’m doing that I could just increase the sweep of the bars by smacking them against a wall?
    the flanges are part of the lockring so they can’t come off. I love those grips as well.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Thumbs definitely better under grips, you only have to catch a little rut and end up wearing your bike.

Try rotating your bars first, best to change only one thing at a time.

If you sit on the bike with a gentle grip on the bars, are there spaces/uneven pressure between your hands and the grips.

If there is a void or pressure point, you need to imagine which way rotating the bars will improve this.

Loosen off your stem clamp to just allow the bars to turn, get comfortable, move bars so the grip fills your hand across the palm. Nip up, double check, tighten clamp.

Reset your controls, take a spin round the block, repeat until you either find a better position or decide you need some new gear.

brakes
    Free Member

Thanks neilwheel. Good advice.

antennae
    Free Member

” but your bike handles much better everywhere else without them!”

what magazine gave you that nugget of falseness?

No magazine.
    Rode bike with bar ends on for many years.
    Rode bike without bar ends for many years.
    Compared the two 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘SETUP HELP: what's wrong with my set-up/ what bars do I need?’ is closed to new replies.