Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Settle – Malham – Kilnsey (Tour de France viewing)
  • crispo
    Free Member

Mrs Crispo is away for the weekend in a fortnight so thought I would take the chance to head over and catch the Tour coming through the dales.

I know the roads are going to be a nightmare so thought I might park up and bike over to watch, get a nice big ride in and avoid the traffic jams.

My plan was to park up in Settle then ride the bridleways over to Malham and on to Kilnsey, watch it come through and then pedal back.

Just looking for advice from people who know the area. Is that a big ride? Is it a good ride? Any better suggestions? Im coming from Preston way and looking for somewhere fairly easy to get to and a nice ride over.

treefeller
    Free Member

I was thinking the same ( also from Preston area ) ….so will I be able to get to Hellifield O.K.?

damascus
    Free Member

Sounds like its part of the Malham killer loop from settle over the pennine bridle way (really hard 50 min climb) then from Malham tarn pick up the kettlewell killer loop.

http://www.pedalnorth.com/content/kettlewell-killer-loop

Or From Malham take the easier route over mastiles lane straight into kilnsey

http://www.walkingenglishman.com/dales15.htm

dunmail
    Free Member

Here’s a link to the road and parking restrictions – http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/media/28239/Tour-de-France-traffic-management-special-event-order/pdf/161635.pdf

The ride you suggest is technically easy but there’s a big climb out of Settle and there’s a big climb up Mastiles lane coming back. I think you might be OK to park in the Malham tarn near the end of Mastiles Lane then it’s a steady ride over to Kilnsey and with the big climb back.

crispo
    Free Member

If I was to do the ride from Settle over and back what would I be looking at length wise and time wise (roughly).

Was aiming to probably set off from settle at around 8.30, figured 2 1/2 hours over there, watch the caravan, have some lunch and the tour then 2 1/2 back for a good day out.

Sound about right?

martinhutch

If you get there early, you may be able to park at Malham Tarn or at the top of Cove Road where the track to Langcliffe leaves it.

But I reckon this will be a popular (free) option, so it could be rammed. There’s a big YDNP car park in Malham, with a stiff climb up BW and Cove Road to get back up to the tarn.

PS There is a massive camping event (Velofest) at Kilnsey showground, so I reckon roadside space around Mastiles will be a premium.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Kilnsey will be pretty rammed with the Velofest, and they will be fair flying past Kilnsey so you will see them for probably a second.

Get there in time for the caravan, that will be the best bit.

chestrockwell

If you get there early, you may be able to park at Malham Tarn or at the top of Cove Road where the track to Langcliffe leaves it.

But I reckon this will be a popular (free) option, so it could be rammed. There’s a big YDNP car park in Malham, with a stiff climb up BW and Cove Road to get back up to the tarn.

PS There is a massive camping event (Velofest) at Kilnsey showground, so I reckon roadside space around Mastiles will be a premium.

Agree with all this. We had thought about riding down from Malham Tarn to watch at the pub in Kilnsey but realised it’ll be rammed. Probably be better to follow the bw from the Tarn down to Arncliffe. In my opinion the descent is better then Mastiles anyway.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

+ Arncliffe and then try and get some where on the climb ish bit to Kettlewell

crispo
    Free Member

So are we saying park at Malham Tarn, off road over to Arncliffe, but then where does the tour actually pass? Can I get over from Arncliffe to the Kettlewell road?

Is adding the Settle loop bit on quite a big ride then?

Cheers for the local knowledge!

martinhutch

Can I get over from Arncliffe to the Kettlewell road?

Yes.

But have a plan B (and c) for when you can’t find a space at Malham Tarn.

crispo
    Free Member

That’s why I was going to park at Settle and ride over to Malham Tarn originally!

martinhutch

This will give you an idea of timings on various routes across and down. Going from Settle adds quite a bit of ascent.

http://www.strava.com/activities/117709112

It’s a great route, though. Depends whether you’re wearing the full devil suit and carrying the picnic table, I guess. 🙂

If you can’t park at MT, there is parking on the top of Cove Road where it crosses this route, or in Malham itself. There is also limited parking at the bottom of Stockdale Lane, which would cut out some climbing.

dalesbred
    Free Member

There is a ‘park n ride’ in Arncliffe, my mates field (£10 a vehicle)?and is 4 miles via road from the wharfedale road.

There is also a field opening in Litton too, (@dalesbredsheep on twitter) which is at the base of the bridlepath over to Buckden (ace down!) and 6 miles from the wharfedale road (its about 50yrds from the queens arms pub, in Litton)
    Litton is accessible from the darnbrook road from the tarn, or via Halton gill, via the stainforth road. I’m a local, happy to offer more advice if needed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Settle – Malham – Kilnsey (Tour de France viewing)’ is closed to new replies.