• This topic has 50 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Aidy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Settle an argument for Mrs and Me. (Coffee making content).
  • dingabell
    Free Member

I don’t drink tea or coffee but I think my wife’s going mad. She says that if you’ve got a bit of water left in the kettle which has already been boiled, and you add some more and re-boil it, then make a cup of coffee, it tastes disgusting. I think she’s making it up. Do any of you coffee drinkers agree with her or is she as mad as a badger? Mind you, this is Singletrack so feel free to berate her for drinking instant anyway.

seadog101

She is mad. Box of frogs level of madness. Especially the instant coffee admission.

Divorce lawyer or section 28 are the only options.

samuri
    Free Member

I think she’s making it up. But then she is a lady and they’re very strange people indeed.

There’s a simple test you can do to prove whether she’s right.

Make her a brew from a kettle with pre-boiled water in it and then lie about emptying it first, she if she says anything.

khani
    Free Member

There is only one answer.. Yes dear…

samuri
    Free Member

The trouble with yes dear, is that by implication, you’re agreeing that it makes sense and therefore subscribing to the process. Now you’ve got to empty the kettle before you can boil it.

Then she’ll be telling you it’s this cup for tea and this cup for coffee.

You have to use this spoon.

Cut the bread that way.

Not those biscuits! These biscuits!

And before you know it you’ve subscribed to a whole load of activities. Now this would be fine if there was any logic or sense behind it, but there isn’t so you’ll forget and then the arguments start.

khani
    Free Member

The trouble with yes dear, is that by implication, you’re agreeing that it makes sense and therefore subscribing to the process. Now you’ve got to empty the kettle before you can boil it.

Then she’ll be telling you it’s this cup for tea and this cup for coffee.

You have to use this spoon.

Cut the bread that way.

Not those biscuits! These biscuits!

And before you know it you’ve subscribed to a whole load of activities. Now this would be fine if there was any logic or sense behind it, but there isn’t so you’ll forget and then the arguments start.

😯 yes dear…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I don’t drink tea or coffee but I think my wife’s going mad

too much caffine

why are you anywhere near the kettle in the first place?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Utter bilge. She’s batshit crazy.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

What’s ‘instant’?

Alpha1653

I’m opening myself up to a raft of abuse it seems but I reckon I can tell the difference. Someone told it it’s because of the oxygen levels in the water i.e. boiled water has less of it. Not sure why that should make a difference though!

richmars

If you boil it for coffee that’s the mistake your wife has made. But I have heard boiling reduces the dissolved oxygen content which makes it taste funny (but I may have just heard that on the internet, so wrong).

McHamish
    Free Member

Pedants suggest that tea and coffee should be brewed from fresh water as repeated boiling reduces the amount of oxygen in the water and impairs the taste.

Boil some water a few times, let it cool down and taste it.

Drac

If it’s been there a good while, days, then yes it will otherwise no.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I agree with her – I can tell when water had been reboiled – it starts to taste like kettle. My girlfriend sometimes uses reboiled water and I can instantly tell if she has

I think it affects the water at the bottom of the kettle most – but then filling up a kettle with loads of water every-time is a waste of power

anagallis_arvensis

I think it affects the water at the bottom of the kettle most

dear god 🙁

properbikeco
    Free Member

as has been said reduced levels of oxygen within the previously boiled water impair the taste of your brew

or just say “yes dear” to SWMBO

vickypea
    Free Member

As a coffee-drinking woman, I would like to add my observation: the flavour of the coffee is all to do with the colour of the mug you drink from! 😀

dingabell
    Free Member

So the general consensus seems to be in favour of her being nuts which just confirmed what I’ve always thought. I’m going to try a “Pepsi Challenge” on her and see if the results back us up? God help me if she can tell the difference. She also hates it if I leave the spoon in it too long.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

the flavour of the coffee is all to do with the colour of the mug you drink from!

🙂

Here at chez deadly, it appears to depend on the colour of the inside of the mug. 😐

wallop

White mug insides only.

vickypea
    Free Member

Deadlydarcy, that is also true about the colour of the inside of the mug! Although blue is my favourite colour, I don’t like a mug that’s blue inside- it doesn’t look good with the brown coffee! 😆

scuzz
    Free Member

Causes cancer, dunnit!

vickypea
    Free Member

No, it prevents it!

collinstiffee
    Free Member

there is less gas in boiled water because that’s how the world works.
    however, you are then boiling the water again soo…
    are you increasingly degassing the water? are the gases being removed reacting (or just associating)with stuff in the coffee?
    maybe the dissolved stuff is concentrated as water is lost through steam.
    but that would effect the bulk solution and not just what wasn’t used.
    maybe the sitting water is reacting with stuff over time (in the kettle) and this is “flavouring” the water.

i’m going for mildly deluded, but… there just might be a paper if not a full PhD in it.

vickypea
    Free Member

Maybe if you have hard water, and you use water that’s been repeatedly boiled, you get concentrated minerals?

IanW
    Free Member

The instruction on box of tea bags I bought recently said do not re boil water. A bit of googling suggests its to do with reduced oxygen in the water.

jodafett

I recently read the instructions on a box of tea bags (I was bored waiting for the kettle to boil) and it said to use fresh water to boil as re-boiled water would impair the taste.

HTH (or sets a cat amongst some pigeons)

Edit: ^^^ Beaten by an equally great mind!

timber

Facts and real science are irrelevant, your wife has declared it so and that is it.

dannyh
    Free Member

Ironically aa and his ‘dear God’ reply nearly made me spit my cup of tea everywhere (would have been better if I had been drinking coffee admittedly).

Sometimes timing is all you need.

grievoustim
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    dear god
    POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

It’s not that outrageous a statement. Water starts tasting of plastic bottle if you leave it sitting around in a bike bottle, why wouldn’t it start tasting like plastic and metal if it sits around in the bottom of my kettle?

RustySpanner

dingabell – Member

I don’t drink tea or coffee but I think my wife’s going mad. She says that if you’ve got a bit of water left in the kettle which has already been boiled, and you add some more and re-boil it, then make a cup of coffee, it tastes disgusting.

She’s right, coffee is disgusting.

It’s acceptable amongst foreigners and even Americans, but we don’t have to stoop to their level, do we?

vickypea – Member

As a coffee-drinking woman, I would like to add my observation: the flavour of the coffee is all to do with the colour of the mug you drink from!

You’re damn right.
    Lots of studies done proving that we percieve the taste of food and drink differently depending on the colour of our crockery. 🙂

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Leaving the excess water in the top of kettle could alleviate this.

db

there is water in my kettle from 2009 as I never empty it and always just top it up, tastes fine!

somafunk

Personally i always use fresh water when i boil the Kettle for a pot of tea, coffee is made using the gaggia 😉 . Have you ever had tea made from a tea urn that constantly reboils water? – it tastes gopping, same thing when you constantly reboil water in the kettle – when you’re making tea you should use freshly boiled water and heat the teapot and cup/mug up first then use tealeaves and apply freshly boiled water – don’t use that sawdust crap that comes in perforated toilet paper bags.

Yep, i’m a certified coffee n’ tea snob……

khani
    Free Member

Strictly speaking you should only boil what you need anyway, as anything more is costing you money, using more energy and therefore destroying the planet..

As a coffee-drinking woman, I would like to add my observation: the flavour of the coffee is all to do with the colour of the mug you drink from

Yes dear…
    😀

samuri
    Free Member

lol

collinstiffee
    Free Member

in Scotland the water is slightly acidic. This promotes the ionisation of metals hence the metalic taste but also why lead pipes are particularly bad for us (IQ down the toilet). water from plastic bottles does taste manky. particularly the bio degradable ones (IMHO)

PePPeR

I always try and boil the minimum needed at a time, and always put fresh water in at the start of the day as water left overnight in a kettle tastes manky!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Meanwhile, there’s a discussion on the chat forum about everyone on here being Geeks!

I will point them in this direction. 😀

Agreed though, fresh water is necessary, but its probably dependant upon your location as water in some areas tastes crap to begin with.

I like Liverpool water, even if its has a small percentage of Welsh wee in it. Well nicer than the stuff we get in Lancashire

mikewsmith
    Free Member

why do you boil the water before putting it in the espresso machine?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Settle an argument for Mrs and Me. (Coffee making content).’ is closed to new replies.