• This topic has 90 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by hols2.
Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • Settle a debate about braking please
  • mrhoppy

I think the answer comes down to which one of you binned it into the tree? 😈

paton
    Free Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1RexDMdbK4
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1RexDMdbK4[/video]

imnotverygood

Interesting video: Especially since he keeps locking up the rear tyre

vongassit
    Free Member

I dont think I ever apply the front without the rear at the same time , when pressing on. I will often use the rear without the front. I definatley use rear pads more, a lot of the time I dont wont the forks more compressed if possible.

I do get wooden rear feel more often & I think its time to upsize my rear disc. I will often take the rear to the point of under rotation & then the front does the rest.

Its the way I like it.

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0wtDMGF0u0[/video]

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I think the answer comes down to which one of you binned it into the tree

OI000312 by [/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE
    That’d be me, ran out of rear brake 150 m from the end of the freebie section after a top to bottom 6 mile Dh ( mainly red or black occasionally) run loosing 1800 vertical meters. I’d add that the pads have been in all week, and weren’t new at the start of the holiday. Shows you how quick it goes wrong when theres no rear brake to keep things in check. This is a relatively tame section.

OI000327 by [/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE
    The pads. Rotor isn’t much better.

I guess I use my rear brake more than the 30% I thought originally,

Update, mate got Zees, no more boiling, mineral oil see. Smashed his rear wheel spokes instead though. Not in the tree, that was me,

stevextc
    Free Member

Those 80% front guys should try it – you use your rear much more than you think

Ah, but they can’t try it because that’s not what the Pro’s do…..

As has been adequately expressed on this thread anyone not applying FULL front or nothing is a hopeless amateur who should be defended in real life….

I guess I use my rear brake more than the 30% I thought originally,

Glad you’re OK and didn’t follow the advice to get a new friend
    😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Update, mate got Zees, no more boiling, mineral oil see

So how did he know his brakes were boiling, out of interest?

Marin
    Free Member

The thread may have had less silly posts if only those who have been braking on a super fast 5 mile descent were commenting. Glad the bike survived it looks done in on that picture.

bedfordrd

This article had an interesting comment on the SRAM Guides (near the bottom).

PinkBike Whyte S-150 article

SRAM Guide RS Brakes:
    I’m a fan of Guide brakes, but Pemberton’s steep, extended downhills ran the levers down to the grips on two occasions. My guess is that the master cylinder’s fluid recharge port requires a full lever release to allow the brake pump fluid into the lines to make up for pad wear and such. Instead of modulating the lever pressure on long DH runs, I had to completely release the levers occasionally to keep the levers pumped up.

hols2
    Free Member

If you really think you don’t use front brakes on steep descents, try some sessions using only the back brake then only the front brake. Start slowly and build up your speed as much as you are comfortable. You will find that you can ride down very steep stuff with only a front brake. You cannot ride down steep stuff with only a rear brake, the rear tyre will skid and you will have to bail. It’s much faster to have both. You probably won’t be consciously aware of it, but anytime you are descending fast, you will be doing most of your braking with the front and just using the rear for balance and control.

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Settle a debate about braking please’ is closed to new replies.