Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Setting up the new PS4
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Luddite dad time again…

So what’s the best way to set up the PS4 so that…

…I can watch Netflix
    …two small boys (9 and 6) can play Minecraft
    …happy for them to play online with their friends
    …I would like to set parental controls to stop them finding stuff they shouldn’t on games, Netflix or online

If I set myself up as the main user and do new profiles for them can they still do what they need to do?

I’ve already set up a PSN account using my email address, and found that I am forever stuck with my sons chosen username 😀

dogthomson

Tom’s Guide – How to set parental controls on a PS4

That should give you a good idea of what you need to do.

Hat tip for bothering too!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Obliged, thanks

thegreatape
    Free Member

So now I’ve set them both up a PSN sub account, do I need to set them up,with user profiles on the PS4 using those sub accounts?

somouk
    Free Member

That will probably be the best way as they can then keep their accounts when they get older and have their own PS4s.

Will mean that any online subscriptions will need to be bought twice, one for each as opposed to a joint account between them.

bensales
    Free Member

You can set up different profiles on your Netflix account as well. Beware though that there are no passwords or pins, just a profile selection screen. So the 9 year old will be using the profile called ‘Dad’.

The kids profile hides anything that isn’t a U cert. This can’t be changed.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheers. No online stuff yet so should be ok for now. It’s in the lounge not their room so I think the opportunity for mischief is relatively limited anyway.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I tried Netflix last night and it asked for a PIN to watch Jackass so I must have set some sort of parental control.

bensales
    Free Member

I sit corrected thegreatape

How do I set a PIN for parental controls?

Shame it’s per account rather than per profile, but it does the trick.

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s it Ben, I did that. It will work fine until my wife tells the kid s the PIN 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Setting up the new PS4’ is closed to new replies.