Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • setting up gears help needed
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

howdy partners 🙂

righty, new shifters new/new cables time!

so when assuming all my H L screws are fine (which im sure they are at present)

remove cables (easy enough)…..then which gears do i drop into to ensure the new cable will be the correct length? for both front and rear derailleur? also what about the barrel adjusters, do i just leave them as they are? or do i need to reset them to accomodate new cables? if so how?

setting up indexing – assuming everything goes on ok, the barrel adjuster then indexes the gears, what gear should i be in the start the adjustment process??

i have a rough idea i think, but some of the points above unsure on so would like some expert simple instructions pleaseeee 🙂

wwaswas

parktool.com has a wonderful ‘how to’ on all of this.

Graham_Clark

Change gear till there is no tension in the cables – usually small ring front and back.
    I usually screw the barrel adjusters all the way in, then out 1 full turn (usually 4 clicks).
    Fit cables – cut new outer to same lengths as old ones. Inner cables should be just tight when fitted.
    Then use the barrel adjusters for fine adjustment – Front mech should be reasonably straight forward. Rear mech, set it up so it shifts onto the 2nd smallest cog in both directions and it will then be fine for the rest.
    There are plenty of set up guide on the web too, Park Tools website is good.
    Good Luck, but a bit of patience and you’ll be fine.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers guys, looked at park tool and it starts to confuse me 🙁 just after a breakdown like above cheers graham!

so barrel adjusters all the way in – is that clockwise or anti clockwise? if i was sat on the bike as normal riding position?

one more little bit, the front mech cable, what gear would you need to be in to do that one? smallest front smallest back? and the cable should just be tight, have no play in it but not guitar string tight?

cheers again helpful people 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

so barrel adjusters all the way in – is that clockwise or anti clockwise? if i was sat on the bike as normal riding position?

when the cables are out, just turn it, if it falls off the mech you went the wrong way. It is a standard thread.

Re the front mech you have it with the mech in its untensioned stated. (granny ring) make sure the shifter is also in the right position. You will know if it is in the wrong gear as getting the cable in and out is a nightmare if it is in the wrong position.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘setting up gears help needed’ is closed to new replies.