Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Setting up disc brakes correctly is worth it shocka!
  • allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve had disc brakes on various bikes for ages and have faffed around with shims etc setting them up but never really dialled them in 100%.

Just spent 15 mins in the garage swapping shims around so there’s absolutely zero disc deflection when the brakes are applied. A quick spin around outside and 😯 what an improvement 🙂

Coming next, aligning mechs makes shifting better 😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

Shims? Never had to use them on disc brakes. Do you do that to swap wheels?

For ages I’ve just slapped on the brakes, align the callipers and they just work. Aligning tip I’ve learnt is put two thin bits of card either side of the disc with calliper bolts loose, apply brake lever and hold it there, tighten calliper bolts just snug, release lever, remove card and all should spin perfect then do bolts to torque spec. Works every time for me.

allthepies
    Free Member

These are IS mount fittings so shims are the method of adjustment.

transapp
    Free Member

Dead Jenny, that’s so simple it may just work. Top tip fella!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ah, think I get it. All my brakes have been Post mount callipers and adapters are used for my IS mount forks. All the calibration is done with the Post mount calliper stuff.

bol

Oh the joys of Avids.

druidh
    Free Member

It’s not a brand issue it’s a PM/IS mount thing.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It does make a difference. Try using a deeper gauge to centre Hope calipers perfectly.

igm

Modern Hopes have a centre marking you align with the disc. If anything, easier and more effective than Avid.

Onzadog
    Free Member

deeper gauge? Bloody smart phone, I meant to say feeler gauge.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Setting up disc brakes correctly is worth it shocka!’ is closed to new replies.