Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Setting up as commuter bike – advice?
  • shep39
    Free Member

This is my first post, though I’ve been reading the forum/mag for a while and I’m looking for a little advice.

I bought myself a new bike this week (Orange Diva – which I love!) and I’m looking to set up my old bike (10 year old Marin Bear Valley) for my commute into work. I’m looking at equipment I’ll need – my route is approx 6.5 miles each way and I have managed to get a key for the bike cage on site which is covered by cctv. There’s a bike path route virtually all the way in but I won’t be able to use this late at night as parts of it are a bit isolated.

Can anyone recommend an affordable but reasonable quality female specific waterproof jacket (pref some sort of high visibilty thing as I work shifts and will be biking home in the dark regularly)? I’m also looking for lights that I can clip on and off the bike easily, a rear pannier rack and waterproof panniers or a rack bag as I don’t like biking in a rucksac. I’m also looking at putting slick or semi-slick tyres on as it’s tarmac all the way.

Security wise I have a Specialized D-lock but would also like to get a fairly heavy duty chain to lock up the wheels – I know it’s an old bike now and is not so desirable to thieves but I’d still like it to be there when I come out of work!

Any advice welcome – don’t mind spending a bit of money on stuff that works and will last? Thanks

TiRed

Tyres: A pair of Schwalbe marathon plus, heavy and puncture proof. Will need two new inner tubes. (about £60)

Mudguards: preferably bolt on SKS unless the front forks are suspension (about £25). Proper guards make all the difference when it gets wet.

Rack: I like the Topeak Super Tourist. Does the bike have bolt holes to secure a rack? (About £30). If it has rear disks, you will need a wider disk-specific rack

Lights : I like a rear light that’s bolted to the rack. BM Toplight rear. Plus a Cateye LED Rapid 1 on the seat tube. Front, I use an Exposure Strada, but have a Cateye headlight that isn’t bad either. (about £125 for rears and something bright enough to see with).

Panniers : Ortlieb back roller (£100)

disco_stu
    Free Member

+1 on the Mudguards and Tyres as these are what I run on my commuter

Its worth worth considering a Carradice SQR seat rack and saddlebag as an alternative to rack and panniers

For your jacket it might be worth popping into Aldi in a few days as they have one of their cycling events coming up, I can recommend their gloves, jackets and winter trousers – these keep me commuting all year round.
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/25481.htm

shep39
    Free Member

Thanks for the repiles, am off to look up all that stuff on net 🙂

Bike has (not very good!) Manitou front suspension, v-brakes and there are bolt holes for a rear rack.

ahwiles
    Free Member

use 2 rear lights: 1 on you, 1 on the bike – the slightly out of sync movement is very eye catching.

get 1 or 2 hi-viz yellow/reflective ankle straps, the upanddown pedaling movement is also very eye catching.

a single red light, moving in predictable straightish line is (surprisingly) not a good way to stand out in the dark.

(when everything has a red light on it)

hi-viz yellow/orange doesn’t work in the dark (although it’s very good in twilight) – it’s all about lights and ‘3M’ reflective type stuff.

Saccades
    Free Member

on-one.co.uk are doing some ace deals on smart flare rear lights, savage bright and easy to clip on/off.

+2 the Scwalbe marathon, perfect for fit and forget.

Front light – depends on your route, if lit then a cheapo commuter light (so people see you) will do, as opposed to something that will light up the route.

I use a high viz vest from work (Used to work shift too) which I throw over whatever the weather dictates I’m wearing, much handier than getting high viz everything else.

Decathlon is a good place to go for non-branded good quality stuff, a level above lidl etc.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

use a high viz vest from work (Used to work shift too) which I throw over whatever the weather dictates I’m wearing, much handier than getting high viz everything else.

+1 especially if you’ve already got a decent jacket.

shep39
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies – I have definitely decided on those tyres.

Tyres: A pair of Schwalbe marathon plus, heavy and puncture proof. Will need two new inner tubes. (about £60)

Can anyone explain why I need new inner tubes as well? Are they “special” in some way?!

Re jackets – I do need a new one anyway as mine is old and less than waterproof so, if hi viz yellow isn’t good in the dark, what about this one:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/altura/night-vision-womens-2011-jacket-ec019963

I could use that for my off road biking as well

I’ll definitely pop into Aldi and Decathlon to see what they have and I love those Ortleib panniers.

Any ideas on a mud guard for a suspension fork? I was thinking of a crud catcher?? Will I still need a rear one if I’ve got a pannier rack?

ahwiles
    Free Member

Can anyone explain why I need new inner tubes as well? Are they “special” in some way?!

they’re skinny tyres – most ‘mtb’ tubes will be too big, they’ll probably work, but it’ll be easy to pinch the tube.

Re jackets – I do need a new one anyway as mine is old and less than waterproof so, if hi viz yellow isn’t good in the dark, what about this one:

it’s a good jacket, don’t avoid hi-viz yellow, because it is ace in twilight*. but don’t rely on it to get you seen when it’s dark.

(*when cars may not have their headlights on – rendering your reflective stuff useless)

shep39
    Free Member

they’re skinny tyres – most ‘mtb’ tubes will be too big, they’ll probably work, but it’ll be easy to pinch the tube.

Ah yes, make perfect sense! 😳

Also re your lights advice I have been given a set of these by a bike commuting work colleague:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/activequipment-micro-led-cycle-light-set/212-3106.prd?skuId=212-3106&pageLevel=

Would these be good as additional lights with something brighter and non-flashing?

ahwiles
    Free Member

they look tiny – powered by a watch battery – i’d use one as a ‘3rd’ light…

rechargeable batteries are really good, get into a routine of charging your batteries regularly (i see loads of cyclists with lights so dim they look like dying terminator)

i like this charger:

http://www.7dayshop.com/batteries-and-power/battery-chargers-and-testers/7dayshop-battery-charger-808lcd

’cause it’s got a level indicator for each cell, it’ll help you to figure how often your batteries need a charge.

bigblackshed

Smart lights. On-One had some on offer a while ago. My experience of cat eyes, well this is a freon fly forum and the swear filter will go bonkers. Think Blackpool illuminations for rear lights. The more the merrier, all set on different strobe patterns.

Full mud guards are worth the fuss to get them to fit a suspension fork. A crud catcher only stops the water flying up. The rear will not stop the water around yor feet, but full guards will. Wet shoes after a day at work are not comfy.

Altura kit is good, also have a look at Endura. Very similar price wise. Invest in good riding kit and it will certainly make the experience nearly pleasurable. Especially in the cold dark winter months. FWIW in the deep winter I wore my over-trousers all of the time. With a warm pair of base layers underneath. No point rolling them up and carting them when half way home your legs are soaked through.

shep39
    Free Member

Thanks again for the advice, I’m looking at all gear suggested and longing for payday next week so I can actually buy some.

I did a dry run on my bike as it is today while the weather was fine – just to make sure it’s do-able and that I’m actually going to use my new commuter stuff before I spend my cash. I enjoyed it so much (even riding with a rucksac which I usually can’t stand!) that I’m doing it again tomorrow if weather ok 🙂

It’s an easy ride so, if the bike and I are geared up for all weather, I think I’m going to be saving myself a fortune in petrol.

Edric64
    Free Member

I mount front and rear lights on my helmet and have another bike mounted rear for back up .

shep39
    Free Member

I mount front and rear lights on my helmet

It’s funny you should say that as I was only thinking a head lamp would be useful whilst trying to unlock my bike in a very dark bike cage at 10pm tonight! Will definitely be looking at that option.

Edric64
    Free Member

You cant forget your lights if on the helmet and you dont mess about putting them on and off the bike either

johnhp
    Free Member

Well you’ve already gotten some great advice, but here are some excellent waterproof rucksacks and messenger bags as well, made in Britain. Always better to buy local if you ask me.

shep39
    Free Member

Well I’ve got myself a lovely Altura Night Vision jacket and I’m nipping into Aldi On Thursday am to see what I can pick up. Definitely looking at Ortlieb panniers and have been offered a 2nd hand one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7985
    Will they fit?

Also does anyone know if these will fit a 26inch wheel MTB with front forks?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKS-26-Mountain-Bike-Full-Mudguards-Black-RRP-26-99-/200822591476?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2ec1f58ff4

Cheers for all the advice, I’m biking to work in not great weather with a rucksac and no mudguards at the mo – and I’m still enjoying it!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Setting up as commuter bike – advice?’ is closed to new replies.