Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Setting up an indoor climbing wall
  • jimmy

Has anyone, or does anyone know someone who has set up an indoor climbing wall from scratch?

alwyn
    Free Member

E-mail the guys at Craggy Island in guildford. They are very friendly and now either have two or three. But I know it costs a lot, almost into the millions.

jimmy

Millions?! Holy shit

erny
    Free Member

Post on ukclimbing.co.uk you will get good advice on there

nbt

jimmy – Member

Millions?! Holy shit

Big buildings aren't cheap. The infrastructure to hold the wall is pretty hefty too

alwyn
    Free Member

Yeah and staff training. Insurance is massive, holds, ropes etc aren't cheap either. Then hire gear, then the payment systems and background stuff. If successfull it can make you a lot though.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Are you talking a commercial venture or your garage?
    Either way ukclimbing is the place to go.
    I think there's one down devon way which was done on a sort of collective basis where a group of like minded individuals got together to rent a farmer's barn and use that as an indoor climbing wall

lyons
    Free Member

A mates brother has something to do with this place. I think he is joint owner or something. It looks good.

http://www.extreme-dream.com/adventure-activities-aviemore/indoor-climbing-aviemore

Hes a nice guy and may be willing to give you some advice.

jimmy

lyons – whats his name? would be good to speak someone like that and can get there easily.

boblo
    Free Member

I was involved in setting a commercial one up from scratch. Email me off list for any details.

bassspine
    Free Member

I went to a party a while back, there was a climbing wall in the spare room. It was on a pulley system so it could be any angle from vertical to overhanging almost horizontally, with a thick foam floor. People were having JD poured into their mouths while they clung onto the wall. Madness.

NZCol

I've got a partially protected wall underneath my deck. There were some really big piles to hold it up so i got some nice thick marine ply, cross braced it behind then got a job lot of holds which means i now have a decent bouldering wall under the deck and also an integrated wood storage protector. Works alright, i just waterblast it every now and then to stop it getting slippy 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'd love to have something like the training wall at alter rock in Derby, its a symetrical wall with probably 300-400 finger/toe holds. The idea being you pick a sequence from the list (they all start in the center and are graded form hard to f**** impossible) then do it, then repeat it on the opposite side so you get a workout on both sides of your body (as opposed to relying on one or the other hand).

IanMunro
    Free Member

That's a neat setup.

glenp
    Free Member

Steve and Rob of Craggy island are very good friends – I used to work with Steve years ago and the two of them set up Craggy as a complete career change. The cost was indeed in the hundreds of thousands.

jam-bo

the barn may have been set up by a bunch of mates but is now firmly a commercial venture.

its good but the prices have been hiked a fair bit recently…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Setting up an indoor climbing wall’ is closed to new replies.