Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Setting up a wireless home network??????
  • st

This may not be possible to explain in my numpty terms but I though it was worth asking.

Is it possible to get two windows XP computers to work together in a kind of network without any additional bobbins and that?

I have a laptop and desktop which now both connect to my wireless router for internet access.

The newer desktop has a bigger hard drive so I'd like to bung all my photos, music and other documents on that but then be able to access these files from the laptop.

I've just gone through some set up wizards on the two compters which gave promising messages but I don't actually know what I'm doing and don't seem to have got anywhere with it.

Any explanations need to be in total layman's terms and so on.

I think I may need to find someone who can come in and tell me what to do / make it all work but hey ho, worth an ask.

Ta.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Yes, you need to allow sharing.

Been a while since I did it, but from memory it was quite easy. Set up a share folder on each computer.

Then go to "my computer" or network places, and look for the other machine, and drag and drop as normal.

Sorry that's not very specific, but if you've set up your own network, you should be able to sort this easily.

st

Ta, I'll have a look, I went through a network set up wizard and used a usb stick to transfer settings from one to the other but then expected to see the other computer in "my computer" but didn't so assume I've cocked it up.

snakebite
    Free Member

explore my network if you have shared them-plus, they both need to be switched on….

st

That'll be it, switch the laptop on!

I now seem to be able to see a shared folder on the desktop from the laptop, a bit slow but I'll give it a wirl.

Ta.

snakebite
    Free Member

sorted?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Setting up a wireless home network??????’ is closed to new replies.