Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Setting up a DHX Air
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

Right I have a DHX Air on my new SH bike I know what all the knobs do but am trying to get some tips on how to set the shock up best or at least an idea for a good starting point.

The bike is an 06 Spech Enduro and the shock is a DHX Air 5.0 the boost valve thingy doesn’t have adjustable air pressure but the volume is adjustable like normal.

LoCo
    Free Member

http://locotuning.co.uk/tech-info.html

set the boost chamber volume to full out too. You may want to reduce the volume of the air can if it’s the large volume one.
    Do this by removing the air can, pop the circlip off the extra volume sleeve and fill with grease (not the white stuff)
    Any problems feel free to drop me a mail.

brakes
    Free Member

I had a DHX Air on mine, but had ongoing problems with it (sticking down, no small bump sensitivity, wallowy) despite servicing, it would stay as I wanted it for a couple of rides and then go wrong
    I considered getting an RP23 for it as it’s supposedly a better shock, I have it built up burly now with 66s and a coil shock and it’s a LOT better
    I’m not sure if this helps, but great bike by the way, I love mine

mrplow
    Free Member

I’m about 12stone with all gear on – run ~167psi in the rear. Usually run with full pro pedal and bottom out wound right in. Sometimes I will take propedal off but usually find the bike slower over most types of ground. Can’t remember rebound setting off the top of my head but I run my bikes pretty neutral.

Enjoy the bike.

sam_underhill

I think last week’s tech tuesday video on pinkbike featured setting up a DHX air.

mrplow
    Free Member

LoCo – how much grease are you suggesting and what is the advantage? I like the DHX air apart from the wallow/punctured rear tyre feel that you sometimes get from it. Rebound does not feel as controlled as my Van R coil even though I set them up the same way.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I used to have an 06 with a tuned Van R and it was great but I sold it and got a Pitch. Pitches arnt all they are cracked up to be. So back to an Enduro now I cant wait to get riding. Built it up last night with Pikes and some generaly strong kit so its a bit weighty but it will get the job done.

Loco I was going to leave it for a bit before reducing the air volume and was thinking about innertube strips to do it, what do you think? Also just wondering if the stroke on a Dueler can be reduced 1/4 an inch to fit an Enduro because that looks like a good shock for a good price.

messiah
    Free Member

I took the outer air sleeve off a Float-R and put a large piece of plastic in to reduce the volume. Improved the shock but it is still poor compared to a coil.

mrplow
    Free Member

Reckon an RS monarch plus will give 156mm travel and work a treat but don’t have the cash to guinea pig it. Don’t know how good the RS performance is either tbh as I would want the option of a decent variable platform as the enduro loves to bob under stand up power. Not sure if eyelet hardware is also an issue on enduro?

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/monarch-plus-rc3

I_Ache
    Free Member

the 8.75×2.6 Monarch+ would be good I had forgotten that even existed. The platform on Monarchs is supposed to be quite good too.

Konastoner
    Free Member

In my experience and the best results I got with a DHX Air is leave the air can alone until you decide how you want the shock to act, set the shock up as per Fox’s guide –
    http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/07/eng/rear_shocks/dhx_air_50.htm

Go for a ride and make adjustements on the fly, where you can, try to make extreme adjustment fist (Rebound, Compression & propoedal) so you can see how differing aspects of the shock affect the handling characteristics of the bike. Then it’s a case of tuning the shock in, which may then require the air can mod.

To be honest though, my Enduro with the HV RP2 is flawless.

LoCo
    Free Member

Hi I don’t think the Dueler will fit in the frame due to the air valve on the Reservoir.

I have always used grease in the extra volume air sleeve to reduce the volume, smoothed so it’s level with the oil rings at either end which seal onto the air can.

The DHX airs from experience work better on the Enduro with the smaller air volume as it makes the shock ‘ramp up’ more stopping blowing through the mid stroke.
    The Floats and Rp’s have different damping systems so will work differently to the Dhx.

I_Ache
    Free Member

LoCo Can you supply a small air can to save messing around? If so how much?

I_Ache
    Free Member

LoCo I would be more than happy to try to find out if the Dueler fits the Enduro for you.

LoCo
    Free Member

Drop me a mail over with model year e.t.c and I can sort you out. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Setting up a DHX Air’ is closed to new replies.