Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Setting up a business.
  • Mooly
    Free Member

Hi there.
    I just wanted to know if anyone has any good advice and experience or can signpost me to a good website, book etc for information about setting up your own business.
    All ideas and advice greatly receieved.

binners

Any good advice? Don’t do it!!! Under any circumstances!!

Not if you value your sanity

grum
    Free Member

Have you signed up with BusinessLink yet?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    donsimon
    Free Member

Business Link a good source of info.
    http://www.mentorsme.co.uk/ for a shoulder to cry on.
    Your question is incredibly vague, what type of info do you want?
    Funding?
    Marketing?
    Human resourcing?
    Or something else?

joao3v16
    Free Member

Probably the best piece of advice I heard about deciding whether to start a small business was along the lines of “only do it if it’s doing something you are extremely passionate about because it will take over your life” … or some-such …

nickjb
    Free Member

The .gov website is pretty good for tax stuff and has quite a few guides to setting up.. As above, it can certainly take over you life. If you enjoy doing it then that’s OK. You can have time off but you are never really not working.

smudge
    Free Member

Get yourself on one of these free courses. Ken Horn You’ll learn loads from it. I went on the initial 2 day course, and now booked up on a 4 day course starting next week.

Business Link is just a website now – Ken worked for BL and then set up on his own doing the same thing.

You’ll have a great couple of days with him and keeps in touch with you afterwards as well.

Smudge

chakaping
    Free Member

I suppose Ken Hom has sold a lot of woks in his time, so he must know something about business.

To the OP – Don’t take advice on business from dossers on a web forum!

(but Business Link is a decent place to start, go on their session about creating a business plan if they offer this near you)

nealglover
    Free Member

Smudge, can you let me know some more (first hand) info about the two day J
    Ken Horn thing ?

Brief synopsis of what’s involved etc ?

Was thinking of going on one but wasn’t sure really, first hand info would be appreciated.

grum
    Free Member

There’s only one of those Ken Horn courses up north, and it’s in Middlesborough. 😡

smudge
    Free Member

Its Horn not Hom?

Keep a look out as more come up fairly regular.. Its most of the Championship football grounds if you notice as its the Football league / FA who fund it.

Neal, I’ll email you later about the course, got to finish getting todays orders out for posting.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah I was joking because the STW font makes it look like Hom.

nealglover
    Free Member

Cheers smudge.

Email is : nealglover@autosheenpcc.co.uk

Much obliged.

smudge
    Free Member

Thanks Neal.

See what you mean Chaka, I had to double check after i’d typed it lol

project
    Free Member

Mooly what sort of buisness, its a tough world out there, but on here somebody should be able to help,

Best to join a union though.

Mugboo

Are you very good at what you are going to set up business doing?

Are you highly motivated?

Have got the capital and some slack in the system?

If so, go for it 🙂

I think some people are just supposed to be self employed and some aren’t. I don’t have any friends who fit the above credentials who haven’t made a success of it.

And get a really good accountant 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

I set up a business (here in France) with the money to pay three months rent on the premises in 92. I got a kick out of running it for most of the time, made more than I could in almost any day job I’m capable of doing without selling my **** and closed it down in 02 when I’d had enough.

If your business plan works on paper go for it. Pretend you have the business you plan to set up and start cold calling for business. You might know who your first clients are likely to be before you start – I did.

Mooly
    Free Member

Cool.
    I`m looking into two possible areas of setting up a business both related to catering.
    1st (In short) would be an organic ready made meal delivery service which would be internet based. Looking at a student market who have no idea about cooking or buying food and could therfor get their full weekly shop done with meals already prepared and delivered on a wekkely basis. 2nd would be a business that caters at events (weddings etc) and festivals. The product would be whole roast Cow / Ox similar to hog roast but with beef obviuosly.
    Have previous experience in catering and restuarant managment a few years ago but obviously setting up a business would be a whole new kettle of fish.
    Thoughts please.

Edukator
    Free Member

Option two sounds good in that you wouldn’t have to give up the day job to get started. Those sort of events take place at weekends so with use fo holidays and time off in lieu you could no doubt get through the start up whilst still working.

IHN

1st (In short) would be an organic ready made meal delivery service which would be internet based. Looking at a student market who have no idea about cooking or buying food and could therfor get their full weekly shop done with meals already prepared and delivered on a wekkely basis.

Organic ready meal sounds expensive, and students are generally skint/tight.

Sounds more like something to aim at old biddies, basically a posh meals on wheels.

konabunny
    Free Member

2nd would be a business that caters at events (weddings etc) and festivals. The product would be whole roast Cow / Ox similar to hog roast but with beef obviuosly.

I now can’t remember whether it was this forum or another one but didn’t some guy come on with a similar idea for pork/hog spit roasts a few months ago? Some interesting responses there iirc, some were even helpful…

Mooly
    Free Member

IHN – I get what you mean but Im luckily living in an area where the univesity has lots of Tarquins and Pips who all play polo, row and hail from the four corners of Surrey. The majority of them have know idea how to cook as this has always been done by the maid or butler.
    Edukator – Good thinking about setting up and doing alongside the day job. Distinct possibilty.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Setting up a business.’ is closed to new replies.