Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Setting Sag.
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

Hey im 10stone just wondered how i set the sag on my bike on the front and rear shock. what air pressures , i did this ages ago but haven't done it in a while and just thought id need to check if its still correct, how do i go about this cheers team

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ideally you need some indicator on the stanchion – rear shocks usually have a rubber ring you can pull up to the seal. You can loosely fit zip ties on the shock stanchion and a fork stanchion, taking great care not to score the coatings when putting on or removing!

Anyway, once zipties are fitted, pump shocks to the manufacturers recommendation for your weight and bike. Push the zipties onto the seals, then gently sit on the bike in a neutral position, perhaps leaning on a wall for support. Then gently get off and examine how far the zipties have been pushed. There are no strict guidelines but, something like 10-20% on the fork and 25-35% on the rear shock is normal.

Then do you rebound damper setting.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

Both my rear and front have o rings on already so don't need zip ties but im just wondering how much air should be in both really, Ive just sat on the bike now and im getting half an inch on the front and about quarter of an inch on the back is that normal ?

qwerty
    Free Member
    montylikesbeer

what make of shocks depends, but about 20 25% of sag for the rear shock travel

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

front is fox float rl 140`s rear is rp23

montylikesbeer

stick about 150 in the rear, push the ring against the shock and sit gently with your weight on the peddles with your riding gear on..

Then get off without compressing the shock and measure (do it with pro peddle on)

NickScots
    Free Member

You need to get a *pdf of the forks and shock manufacturer's guide. Mine are Manitou and were easy to follow and a 5min job to setup.

The only adjustment I make is rebound and that has only been for Golspie and it's descent.

Nick

joolsburger
    Free Member

Let the air out of the rear shock gently compress the rear end and see what maximum travel looks like. Generally speaking a good starting point is 1psi for every pound you weigh. Pump it up then gently sit on the bike with both feet off the ground and depending on your preference you need between 15 and 35% of max as sag. I like mine firm and have about 20% sag. Make the adjustments with the propedal off.

For the front it's very different your manual will give you a guide on pressures.

You have rebound and lockout turn the lock out off, I'd set the sag at around 25 % of max travel as a starting point but I'd measure sag standing on the pedals in my usual riding down a hill position. This will typically make them a bit less supple when seated but they will work better when it counts and dive less under braking.

Rebound – I like a fast setting a few clicks from minimum but as your light you most likely need a bit more. The seat shouldn't smack you up the arse after a big hit but shouldn't be too slow either. I like the front to be quick to rebound but it really is personal preference.

lardman
    Free Member

i run about 1/4 sag on the front, as when you are going downhill (the time you need the performance most) you'll weight the front more. SO, start with a slightly firmer 'spring' setting. Be it air, or coil.

On the back, i run the sag at about 1/3 of travel, as the back will un-weight slightly in the same situation.

These settings are dependent on you having the right spring (if it's a coil) for your weight- so it does not bottom out more than once per rough downhill section.

This rule of thumb, works for me irrespective of bike/spring type/set-up/travel variations.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Setting Sag.’ is closed to new replies.