• This topic has 51 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Lifer.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Setting off speed camera! (Warning, some road bike content and angry motorist)
  • bigad40
    Free Member

Woohoo! Scored another ebay bargain, I had been wanting a road bike for some time and finally the stars aligned and I scored a Cannondale CAAD8 ok with cheap group set for not a lot.
    Dig out the old Lycra shorts and trendy bike shop shirt and head out on an old loop on my first ride, remembered an old speed camera halfway down a hill and pedalled like a man possessed, road clear ahead and keep hammering (as much as a MAMIL can on his first road ride),
    Hit the stripes, look over my shoulder and FLASH!
    I wish I could get that picture, even though I’m sure it’ll just look like some fat idiot grinning on his bicycle.
    But I was buzzing, “the old man still has it,” I thought as I relax and over take some cars and a van.
    Get to the bottom of the hill and some old codger in his MG ZT pulls up next to and says, “You know you set off that camera back there.”
    “Yeah man, freakin awesome or what!?” I buzz back.
    “Nah, I’m in that photo, I’m going to get done, what’s you name and address”
    “You kidding.”
    “No, I want your details,”
    “Get a life loser!”
    I cycle off, he cuts me up I go to other side of road, he cuts me up again, I cycle on pavement and slip round the corner back onto the road, stop at a T-junction, he follows me round and cuts me up in a busy street, I stop, he gets out car and walks toward me I zip back on the pavement in opposite direction he runs back to car does a million point turn and drives after me I turn around and cycle straight past him on the road as he swerves for me again, through the gap (mountain bike skills) into busy rode and off.
    Stop at red light he cuts me up again, gets out car, I zip onto pavement again and down the road into a car park.
    I wait for him as he pulls in head in opposite direction and now he’s stuck!
    But it’s on my route home home, and I’m having more fun on a road bike than I’d ever thought possible so I follow him, he’s on the phone to the police, I give him a nod a zip into traffic, he follows…
    Over a railway bridge and onto a field.
    He stops, curses and starts yelling “The police are after you, son,”
    “Whatever!”
    He’s adamant the cops are after me.
    As he tries to come after me again I head in opposite direction, he tries to back up as a car pulls up behind him. Hoots.
    No where to go and a last, “There after you…”
    “Sure they are!” I shout as I shoot into local estate and head off on cycle lanes home.
    Buzzing!
    Pity I’m not going to able to wear that top out on my road bike again, it is my favourite.

He wasn’t in the box for the photo and even if he was I’d still take up most of the picture, thanks to my massive girth (horizontal stripes on shirt will make me look even bigger).

He was also in a very unique car, MG ZTs are rare, especially in red.

Turns out you can be done for speeding on a bicycle, offence is called CYCLING FURIOUSLY, that’s how I’m going down!!!

Flash.

racefaceec90

cool story bro 😉

GreenK
    Free Member

Excellent!

Houns

He obviously has no idea how cameras work. If he wasn’t going over the limit then he has nothing to worry about. I’d have asked him that first, if he’d said no then it’d saved the rest of the stupidity

globalti
    Free Member

He’s thick. Speed cameras work by taking two flash photos, the speed is then calculated by measuring how far you’ve moved over the calibration marks painted on the road. He won’t get done for it if he wasn’t speeding.

Superficial
    Free Member

He clearly has a fundamental misunderstanding of how speed cameras work if he thinks your setting it off would result in a ticket for him.

EDIT: Too slow.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was always under the impression that a guy on a bike didn’t give enough of a radar signature to trigger a speed camera so maybe it was him that triggered it anyway.

thepurist

He won’t be done for speeding hut he could be done for his subsequent driving…

torihada
    Free Member

very entertaining. 🙂

Frankers
    Free Member

Ace story

project
    Free Member

Dig out the old Lycra shorts and trendy bike shop shirt and head out on an old loop on my first ride, remembered an old speed camera halfway down a hill and pedalled like a man possessed, road clear ahead and keep hammering (as much as a MAMIL can on his first road ride),
    Hit the stripes, look over my shoulder and FLASH!
    I wish I could get that picture, even though I’m sure it’ll just look like some fat idiot grinning on his bicycle.
    But I was buzzing, “the old man still has it,” I thought as I relax and over take some cars and a van.
    Get to the bottom of the hill and some old codger in his MG ZT pulls up next to and says, “You know you set off that camera back there.”
    “Yeah man, freakin awesome or what!?” I buzz back.

He obviously wanted a date, lol

But by riding over the two loops outside a traffic light white line, you can set off the red light jumper camera, used to work on the A41 at Bromborough and on the duke street, dock road junction birkenhead, even pedaling slowly over them on red, when the road is clear set them off, cars that had just gone over them on amber were not impressed.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I always thought a bike wouldn’t trigger a response, but I’ve managed to get a couple of those ‘your current speed is 27mph’ signs to light up recently – on a deserted stretch of road & I’m the only road user.
    Maybe they are more sensitive than i thought?

Olly
    Free Member

Sounds like an overly aggressive self entitled tit so he probably deserves a ticket anyway. High 5

v666ern
    Free Member

I was always under the impression that a guy on a bike didn’t give enough of a radar signature to trigger a speed camera so maybe it was him that triggered it anyway.

Um motorbikes?!

edited for stupdity

jedimaster
    Free Member

Sweet story!

devash
    Free Member

cool story bro

Beat me to it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was always under the impression that a guy on a bike didn’t give enough of a radar signature to trigger a speed camera

I’ve never managed to set one off, despite being 10-12mph over, but I have seen other cyclists set off red light cameras and the watch your speed displays definitely pick up cyclists.

bigG
    Free Member

[/url] Untitled by BigG1968, on Flickr[/img]

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not read it all but the gist is you cycled away like a coward in your ‘trendy bike shop shirt’? Cool.

thegreatape
    Free Member

TTIUWGoProfootage

simondbarnes

Cool story? Hardly. OP sounds like a bit of a ****.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Really?

simondbarnes

Haha!

GrahamS

pedaling slowly over them on red, when the road is clear set them off, cars that had just gone over them on amber were not impressed.

Don’t feel bad.

The cars that went through on amber broke exactly the same law as you did going through on red.

plus-one

Comedy gold … !!! Reckon you could have kicked the arse out it longer and wound him up more 😉

fadda

No one mentioned that the OP was exceeding the 30mph speed limit whilst looking back over his shoulder…?

agent007
    Free Member

No one mentioned that the OP was exceeding the 30mph speed limit whilst looking back over his shoulder…?

It’s fine, it’s a cyclist – he wasn’t driving an Audi S3 or any other fast motor.

takisawa2

This is precisely what the Benny Hill theme was invented for.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Pecker

Gary_M
    Free Member

I particularly liked this bit:

‘”Yeah man, freakin awesome or what!?” I buzz back.

Is this a a fat middle age bloke and a pensioner having a conversation or a couple of street wise youths?

Most of ‘the chase’ doesn’t make sense but this didn’t really happen, not all of it anyway.

If it did its a very odd way for two adults to behave, especially when one is a ‘Christian believer’.

jekkyl

“Get a life loser!”

There’s that Christian attitude.

Anyway I enjoyed your story. I wouldn’t have shouted anything, maybe just wave or stick out your tongue before turning & crossing the road again.

mooman
    Free Member

HSE above worrying because OP was looking over his shoulder whilst exceeding 30mph lol.

Most roadies will be comfortable taking their jacket on/off at that speed.

Funny story though. Like many incidents I’d have had when I was 14years old.

downshep

Fixed safety cameras take two images one second apart to prove the target vehicle covered the relevant distance in that time. This corroborates the radar reading. Pedal cycles can trigger cameras but only the 2nd image will prove who travelled furthest in that second. The driver will have nowt to worry about if the OP has covered more ground between the images.

Turning to face a speed camera while cycling fast enough to trigger it could earn the OP a Darwin Award.

Mackem

If MBUK did road riding letters..

Drac

This story needs a theme tune.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNVZzXgMdXs[/video]

Sounds like the 2 of you didn’t spoil 2 journeys.

psling
    Free Member

…remembered an old speed camera halfway down a hill and pedalled like a man possessed, road clear ahead and keep hammering

So where exactly did MGMan appear from..? 😕

Deveron53
    Free Member

Reminds me of “The Chase” courtesy of Mr Sean Lock:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3lGq0YpMJw[/video]

iolo
    Free Member

Is it just me who thinks the OP may have made this story up.
    If not, I want his kids due to his coolness.

plyphon
    Free Member

is it me or is OP telling the internet when and where he broke the law

ninfan
    Free Member

when and where he broke the law

How? Speed limits on roads apply only to motor vehicles!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Setting off speed camera! (Warning, some road bike content and angry motorist)’ is closed to new replies.