Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • setting new gears up help needed (new to all this)
  • mtb1992
    Free Member

Need some help people recently built my 1st bike and having bother with gears. So I admitted defeat and took it to my local bike shop who adjusted them up perfect. I did about 20miles on I and once again they needed adjusting which is fair as there all new cables etc. So took it back again they adjusted them for free been out today and there worse than ever clicking, jumping. Has anybody got any guides or booked to buy so I can learn how to adjust them as I’m sick of trapsing back to shop…
    Any help
    Tom

jekkyl

There is lots of videos on youtube bud but if they’re jumping it might be worn components. How old is your chain/chainrings/cassette?

MarkyG82

Assuming brand new components due to new build? That being the case. Should just need to set the bottom limit screw before attaching the cable. Then hook up the cable taking up as much slack as you can and wind out the barrel on the shifter a touch to take up the rest. Done!

PS.this should be done with the shifter in smallest gear for both front and rear.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Loads online but the best method I’ve used is cable disconnected, set high and low limit properly then barrel adjuster to the middle reconnect cable

alexpalacefan

If by any chance you’re in Nottingham I’ll have a look for you.

APF

antigee

if ok with reading rather than sorting youtube good from bad – the parktool stuff is good:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-adjustment

sram has good stuff on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Cu_jneQFw

its not a mystic science but sometimes can be frustrating – beer helps for me

mtb1992
    Free Member

Hi Peoples
    its all new componenets nd it wont have done 40miles so hopefully nothing worn yet.
    I will go and invest in some beer and watch some videos, its something ive always wanted to have ago at like. Ive mastered everything else on the bike just gear grrr.
    How do i no were to set high and low limit screws?
    when you say wind the adjuster to the middle you mean on shifters them selves?

mtb1992
    Free Member

its the fear of the unkown i guess haha
    tom

MarkyG82

The bottom adjuster should sit the chain on the smallest gear. The cable should be just about to take tension in this position. I’d set correctly then the top screw is largely redundant apart from stopping you push the chain into the spokes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘setting new gears up help needed (new to all this)’ is closed to new replies.