• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by sv.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Servicing XT hubs
  • granny_ring

As well as using hopes I’ve also got some XT hub wheels that I would like to give a much needed service to when the mancave is kitted out…….

What size cone spanners do I need and hat size bearings/cones also?

Any links to where would be great also.

TIA

cynic-al
    Free Member

15mm/17mm, you need the right cones for the hub – check techdocs and Madison’s website.

1/4″ bearings if needed.

kcal

is it the same bearings F&R cynic-al?
    I was always reading it was slightly less for front, but that may have been generic, simple (non-disc) hubs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    enfht
    Free Member

Different size f&r.

use the model number printed on the hub, and check the shimano parts pdf for the relevant bearing size to be certain.

bigjim

yeah front are smaller. You get different numbers of bearings between years and things like that too so def check the techdoc pdf as mentioned above.

Mister-P
    Free Member

To find the correct techdoc for your hubs take the model number off it (printed across the centre of the hub body), stick it in google with EV after it. So for example 6 bolt disc rear will be FH-M756 EV and the first result should be the pdf diagram.

JoeG
    Free Member
    granny_ring

Thanks for replies.
    So I just need one 15mm & one 17mm cone spanners.
    Where’s best to get the bearings, shimano or any make?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

You could probably get away with just a 15mm cone spanner and a 17mm normal spanner. Replace the balls when in bits. I use Phils grease from Tim at Sideways. That stuff is by far the best I used and have used loads of different stuff. I got some balls from ebay for not a lot. Uses about 18 or 20 per hub.

sv

9 bearings in the rear hubs and 10 in the front IIRC (I think!). Simply Bearings for the ball bearings, not that cheap but you know what you are getting.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Use grade 25 or better balls not the crap most places sell

granny_ring

So am I looking at the 316 grade HERE?

Mister-P
    Free Member

The lower the number the better. It relates to how out of perfect roundness the bearing can be.

granny_ring

Thanks guide is useful.

Sorry to keep banging on about which bearings, but has anyone used the 316 stainless steel bearings in wheel hubs or should I use the hardened chrome ones?

sv

Think I went 316, especially for the driveside!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Servicing XT hubs’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts