Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • servicing old Bombers
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

The time has come that I need to service my trusty bombers for the first time after 6 years of faultless use.
    So what tips you got? They're 03 MX Pro coil forks.
    Any special tools required to seat the bushes/seals?

Anyone got a service manual??

funkynick

They are very easy to take apart, although you might need to modify a socket to get it to fit onto the nuts at the end of the legs. This just involves grinding it down so it will fit into the recess that the nut sits in. Or, if you can find a thin walled box-spanner, that should work.

There are special tools available for seal removal, bush removal, lower bush fitting, upper bush fitting, oil seal fitting and dust seal fitting, and all in they cost more than it does to send them off to someone to service them. The bush removal tool on its own costs about £100!

I ended up making my own tools, or using stuff I had kicking around that seemed to fit, and got away without buying any of the special tools.

Service manuals are kicking about the net, but you normally have to search for them, there was a link on MTBR a while back with them all. If you can't find it, I should have them downloaded at home somewhere..

Aristotle
    Free Member

You'll probably find that the internals are still fine, although general workshop tools will probably do for most tasks. I've always managed fine bike and moto forks.

I have a set of well-used 2002 Bomber Drop-offs like these:

They have never shown any deterioration in performance and damping is superb.

I serviced them once about 2 years ago and only replaced the oil as there was no visible internal wear. Even the oil was fairly clean with no obvious metallic sheen or 'milkiness'.

I've considered getting new forks, but they are so good I've not bothered.

They coped with some big compressions at Morzine, Les Gets & Les Houches the other week.

The Italians certainly knew how to make forks in the early '00s.

scruff
    Free Member
    chriswilk
    Free Member

cheers scruff, got the service manual for the comps off there, I think the only difference was steel to alloy steerer so should be OK.

I'll disassemble and see what's there.

Where is the best place to buy the spares?
    UK bike store??

MrNutt
    Free Member

try the guys at windwave

poppa
    Free Member

I didn't realise bombers could be used as suspension forks, I thought their primary function was for 'owning' people?!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘servicing old Bombers’ is closed to new replies.