Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Servicing Hope brakes – Help needed
  • letmetalktomark

As the inevitable winter months draw in I want to be pr active (a first0 and get all my pre winter servicing/faffing done in a timely fashion 😆 🙄

I have a set of 2005 mono M4 brakes that have whilst been very good to me may be starting to show the signs of the pistons sticking. They have had regular bleeds when needed but have never been serviced.

The Hope service prices seem fair enough (£45 per end plus postage) but before I shell out and send them back I though I would enquire as to how straight forward it actually is 🙂

So then ….

Who has tried it successfully?
    What would I need? Seals, special tools etc
    Any pointers?

uplink
    Free Member

Just a seal kit & some silicone grease should do it
    You'll also need the bore cap tools @ £5 each

Easy job

Green

All you need to know Here

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

very simple to do – but IIRC the hope service includes new pads – so by the time you have bought a set of seals and pads the hope service looks a bargain.
    However – just lubing the seals might do the job and this takes 10 minutes and costs pennies. Pads out,hold one side in, pump the lever till the pistons are part way out, clean, brake fluid or red rubber grease around the pistons and work in and out a couple of times – repeat for the other side.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Why have they needed regular bleeds? I've not touched mine in six years and they are still as good as new.

uplink
    Free Member

I like to bleed them at least every 6 months, whether they need it or not 🙂

I just enjoy doing things

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You should bleed brakes with dot fluid every year to replace the fluid. It deteriorates and this can lead to the brakes failing – fluid absorbs water and the boiling point lowers and muck builds up in it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

rockhopper: have you got your brakes hot recently? – don't be surprised if weird things happen at the lever…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Servicing Hope brakes – Help needed’ is closed to new replies.