Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Servicing Fox Float forks and shock – what do I need?
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Got a 2007 Fox 32 Float R forks and Float R rear shock. What do I need to do a service on each of these? Any links for the kit would be great.

Thanks

xiphon
    Free Member

Fox have service manuals up on their website, you should find it there.

Alternatively, give Loco Tuning / Mojo a call.

Harry_the_Spider

Serviced my Fox Triad rear shock over the weekend because it was leaking air. For damping issues you need to send it away IIRC.

You will need a soft jawed vice (I used a workmate) and a shock pump plus whatever it takes to get the shock out of the bike. Nice easy job if you follow the instructions that you can download. Took me about 30 mins.

A seal kit will cost you £9.49 + p&p from Bikegoo. Mojo sell them too, but they didn’t have any in at the time. I also spoke to Mojo on the phone about service costs and they were very helpful.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mieszko
    Free Member

If servicing a Fox is similar to Rock Shox than it would be nice to have a rubber mallet for the fork. Some allen keys, some socket bits to unscrew the top caps. Some degreaser, I used IPA (isopropyl alcohol), bought some on eBay, You can get that in a pharmacy as well. That was what the Rock Shox guy used on Youtube so just got the same. Some rugs and a pan for oil. Obviously You will need an air pump as well.

For the rear shock to just do a quick air can service and change seals You will need a strong grip to unscrew the air can. Apart from that it’s pretty straightforward.

Youtube has loads of guides on how to do this and I find some better than just reading a manual as it will show You exactly how to do it.

If You want to do a seal change than You will need a seal kit for the damper and the fork. Some syringes come handy to measure how much oil You have to put in.

So a list:
    Rubber mallet
    Allen keys
    Spanners + socket bits
    Strong grip for the rear shock 😉
    Some sort of a cleaner/degreaser (IPA)
    Fork Oil
    Grease (there should be some fox fluid with the seal kit) but I used Juice lubes grease on all the o rings, worked fine.
    Syringe
    Clean rugs and some container for the oil.
    Shock pump.

bigyinn
    Free Member

24mm socket for the top caps
    Selection of allen keys 1mm, 1.5mm
    10mm spanner or slim socket
    Fox fork oil (7wt probably), approx 200ml.
    Fork float fluid for the air chamber, about 5ml
    IPA (Iso Propyl Alcohol) for cleaning and de-greasing.
    Rubber faced hammer.
    Shock pump
    Clean rags
    Then go to the fox website and go through the how to’s. Tkae approx an hour at the most.
    Just take your time and you’ll be fine!

MRanger156
    Free Member

So if the damping isn’t working as well as it should in the rear shock will a home service/seal change help? Don’t fancy the repair cost of mojo/TF as prob buying a new frame next summer.

Harry_the_Spider

A home service will only sort the air side.

mieszko
    Free Member

See how confident You feel after seeing what is involved with completely disassembling the rear shock when You see a video and decide Yourself. The only problem is the shock is charged with nitrogen or something like that. The Monarch service vid seemed easy enough but recharging the shock with nitrogen would be my only problem.

The seal change, clean and lube might help a bit however it depends what You mean by damping not working as it should. If it needs an oil change than it’s a bit more complicated than a simple air can service but not impossible.

chickenslippers
    Free Member

Search you tube for fox rear rebuild

(I used a strap wrench to undo the shock, seal kit bought from Mojo)

and fox rl fork strip and rebuild.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VstQX3ICbJg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU3r3tGbn2I&feature=related

(You will need a 26mm socket for the forks. Get yourself a measuring jug with a small spout to aid putting the oils back in)

I used keepvid to get the video files onto my laptop hard drive then I watched, paused did what I had just seen. Seal replacment is a piece of cake and you will wonder how they charge so much.

Hope this helps, Si

bigyinn
    Free Member

All you need to know is here

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Servicing Fox Float forks and shock – what do I need?’ is closed to new replies.