Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Servicing Fox 36 damper… plus which oil?
  • oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Anyone changed the oil in an inverted FIT damper?

Its a fox 36 Rc2 FIT Vanilla if it matters.

It seems you need a special “miximiser” syringe only available in america land to bleed the damper! cant see whats special about it or find anywhere to buy one..

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/QuickTech/36FITRLCFullServProc.htm

I can do the rest of a fork service, and like to do things at home so thought I’d try and give it a go…

I also wanted to try some lighter weight oil in the damper, the damping range seems to stay in the lower end all the time so thought it might work well, anyone tried going down to a 7wt?

If I’m mad and should just send it off tell me! I suppose I could just have the damper serviced… but I do like to figure these things out for myself if I can…

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

No one done it themselves? That may be my answer…

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

bump

PH1

Give it a go! if it goes wrong you could send it off to Mojo in bits.
    I’m going to do mine when it needs a service.

P

foxman
    Free Member

Pretty sure mojo wont service the old dampers now .

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

it not an old damper, its an inverted (new style) fit damper. its getting a proper seal to bleed the bladder I’m talking about… everyone must just send them off…

tinglesrack
    Free Member

Super easy to change the oil. No need to strip the entire damper like it shows in that link.
    It can be pumped out the top of the damper and a normal syringe used to re-fill and bleed. The helpful chaps at Mojo said the bleed process on the fox site is bonkers and they just do it from the top cap. Just squeeze and release the bladder several times throughout the process and bobs your uncle.

tinglesrack
    Free Member

The syringe is nothing more than a tool to allow surplus oil and air to be contained as you cycle the damper rod up and down. You could use a small funnel instead. Finish the bleed on a down-stroke and leave the damper rod fully extended and re-fit adjusters to top cap.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Ace, thanks guys. I’ll give it a go!

Anyone tried lighter weight oil?

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

I assume the damper is simply brimmed with oil on a down stroke?

tinglesrack
    Free Member

Aye brimmed. And make sure the bladder has returned to its correct shape/form. You’ll then get a bit of excess purging out the top as you screw in the silver compression bolt thingy into the middle of the topcap.
    If your funnel/syringe doesn’t fit the hole in the top cap very well just push a 1″ length of rubber over the nozzle to allow a good seal around the topcap.
    I got all this info from Mojo and its fairly easy to do. Good luck!

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll get on it! 🙂

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

how do you get the top bolt out? it says in the instructions to use the adjuster as a wrench… but mine wont budge don’t want to break it!

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

turns out my instructions are worthless as I have a vanilla RC2 fit, and therefore HSC instead of a lockout… any idea how to change the oil?
    Big bolt at the bottom removes the top of the bladder (so I’ve now lost some oil, and definitely need to service the damper!! 🙁 the other 2 look like fittings held in by some type of clip..

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/4199/3sh6.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img36/9973/ntsp.JPG

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Servicing Fox 36 damper… plus which oil?’ is closed to new replies.