Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Servicing a hub brake
  • huws
    Free Member

My girlfriend has just picked up a new (to her) bike and it has a sturmey archer front hub brake, It’s currently disconnected as it seems to stick on. The Internet suggests that they are pretty easy to service and it’s just a case of undoing a single bolt and then cleaning everything and regressing the cams.

My problem is all I have to complete this simple job is an adjustable spanner, some kitchen roll and whatever oily products I can find in the kitchen.

This seems like a bad idea to me, especially without any real oil/grease. Worth a try, even if it’s just pulling it apart and cleaning it? Is that likely to help without being able to grease it up a bit?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Maybe wiping old and dirty grease off might free it up… But you’re better off just getting the right stuff, doubt it needs “fully synthetic” at £20 a pot 😉

With the adjustable, to avoid hassle use it so the load is lower down the moving side (ie choosing rotational direction) and ensure you place the spanner over the nut the try to tighten the jaws a little while wriggling the spanner to get the best fit possible (assuming its a non standard and small and a fuss to replace)

Bon chance

huws
    Free Member

“fully synthetic” extra virgin

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I’ve only serviced the Shimano roller brake, you just need to squirt some grease in the hole, I imagine SA will be similar.

huws
    Free Member

Well that was simple. Came apart easily, cleaned it up, and then worked a tiny amount of vegetable oil into the cam. Returns properly now. Very temporary fix but the bearing in the hub are pretty much toast so it’ll need a proper service soon anyway.

Bodgetastic.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Nice work dude 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Servicing a hub brake’ is closed to new replies.